PDA

View Full Version : led lighting for tanks - feedback requested

Vee
05-13-2011, 06:56 PM
An led light manufacturer that I spoke to today would like some feedback on aquarium lighting that he is developing.

cost: $100
size: 3' or 4'
solid aluminum housing
one DC connector
44 one watt cree lights for the 4' model, mix of blue and white
fully submersible

Thanks!

Vee
05-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Please post some comments! What do you like/not like? I'm not getting paid for this, BTW. I'm just interested in what he's developing and he is interested in what hobbyists are looking for.

Skip
05-14-2011, 11:15 AM
i am not a big fan of submersible lites..

i like MarineLand DOUBLE LED.. has Blue AND white for nite and day.. and they seem to be the only company with this option..

Vee
05-14-2011, 11:34 AM
Thanks, warlock. I think the submersible option is a good thing if you happen to drop your light in the tank.

Skip
05-14-2011, 11:37 AM
for sure. submersible is cool option.. but you asked.. :)

zchauvin
05-14-2011, 01:03 PM
i am not a big fan of submersible lites..

i like MarineLand DOUBLE LED.. has Blue AND white for nite and day.. and they seem to be the only company with this option..

I just ordered one after reading your reply but how does this work for crypts and anubias. I have 2 anubias and 3 crypts in my 75 and will now be using this LED. Will they do good or should I expect wilting dead plants? :)

strawberryblonde
05-15-2011, 06:01 AM
They are both low light tolerant plants, so they should be fine with the LED's. If you notice them turning yellow, you'll either need to add another LED strip, or a standard tube light.

Before I added my T5 to my tank I was running the Marinland single LED strip along with my T8 15w bulb and the plants grew fine. They grew a bit slower than they do now, but that could also be because I wasn't using ferts back then.

zchauvin
05-15-2011, 09:32 AM
They are both low light tolerant plants, so they should be fine with the LED's. If you notice them turning yellow, you'll either need to add another LED strip, or a standard tube light.

Before I added my T5 to my tank I was running the Marinland single LED strip along with my T8 15w bulb and the plants grew fine. They grew a bit slower than they do now, but that could also be because I wasn't using ferts back then.

good deal I will see how things turn out. If they grow slower all the better, I just want low to the ground plants?? lol :)