PDA

View Full Version : Boy those discus can run.

Mike52
05-13-2011, 10:12 PM
I have recently purchased six fine discus and they doing well in a 55 gal bare bottom tank, all except for one thing> Every time I come close to the tank they all run and hide in the corner. What can I do to help them settle down? They do this at every feeding as well.

DiscusBR
05-13-2011, 10:22 PM
People will like to know: for how long have you had them? Where is the tank located? What are the fishes' sizes and age? etc

Mike52
05-18-2011, 01:18 PM
The Discus were free swimming on November 24th, and are now between 4.5 to 5 inches in sizes. They have been with me for just over 4 weeks and are in a 55 gal tank that is empty except for the inside sponge filter. They are located in a spare bedroom that is apx. 10X12. I am going to be placing more tanks in this room as time moves on. They are eating well three to four times a day and I am making water changes at least 3X a week. I do try to spend time in the room so that they can get accustomed to me moving around in the room. I also spend time observing them. In the evenings I turn the tank lights off and adjust the light with a table lamp and then turn all lights off around 10pm. In the mornings they are moving around in the tank looking for food but the moment I enter the room and put the food in they run to the back corner behind the sponge filter. They will slowly come out for the food but are very nervous.

LizStreithorst
05-18-2011, 02:50 PM
You know Mike, I think that it's due to the lack of activity in that room. Don't know why I didn't think of that when I was over there. At my place (these fish came from me, BTW) although I'm gone all day, their are all my dogs running around and barking at nothing, the radio is always on, and they had a bunch of their siblings to keep them company.

They have quiet at your house. They are used to the quiet now and when it is disturbed, they spook. I have no idea if it will work, but you might try putting a radio (tuned to our public radio station, of course) in the room so that at least there is more sound. Might help.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Hsunami
05-18-2011, 06:10 PM
put a TV in front of them for a few days. Not directly close but a few feet away. SO they get use to the "activity". Let'em watch some cartoons or if you are thinkiing of breeding maybe some chick-flicks or romance movies LOL

ericatdallas
05-18-2011, 06:46 PM
My wife vacuums in front of the tank and they don't freak out... they're still startled my quick sudden movements though.

I think I agree with Liz, they just need to get used to it. My fish aren't too bothered by WC any more either.

strawberryblonde
05-18-2011, 07:17 PM
I used the TV trick to get my new discus accustomed to the activity levels in my home. I turned it on in the morning and then adjusted the volume up and down throughout the day as I walked by. Before long they were out and glued to the side of the tank "watching" the shows.

They are now so well adjusted that my dog sticks her nose on the tank to see them and they just swim up and look at her. They don't startle when her tail wags and thumps on the cabinet, I can vacuum around them, we watch tv, play games on Kinnect (which involves a LOT of jumping around) and plenty of other activity. And I could swear that my fish consider us "entertainment"! I still catch them watching shows at night with my husband. He's on the sofa and they're pressed up against the glass. It's a hoot.

So if your fish don't get over their shyness soon, try the tv or radio method. Maybe radio first, then a small tv in the room later on. Before long they'll come around...honest they will.

AngryBird
05-19-2011, 01:35 PM
I had this problem many years back but only when I have guest :) I am not claiming that my discus knew me and my wife but every time we had guest, they would go and hide and freak if they get close to the tank to find where the fishes are hiding. I dont have those fishes with me anymore.

Hsunami
05-19-2011, 02:54 PM
they were probably just not use to the noise level or movement of the guest. They are probably use to how fast you would walk to the glass and just generally around. But with the guest they were unfamiliar with so thats why they probably hid.

brewmaster15
05-23-2011, 03:49 PM
Hi,
Just saw this one here... One thing that may also account for this behavior is lighting in the room. If the room lighting causes a glare on the tank, they may not see you until you are right there...and it spooks them....Instead of turning off the tank light, and turning on the room light...It may be better if both are on ..If the room and tank are well lit...less chance of glare... I know many here keep their discus in subdued lighting... but sometimes too subdued can lead to issues with room lighting.

just something else to consider.

hth,
al

Mike52
05-25-2011, 11:11 PM
Thanks for all the response! You have given me some good ideas an and I will post the results as I try them. Taking one step at a time. I have been spending more time in the room and am having a slight better response. I am going to start with the light idea and attempt to reduce the glare. Thanks to all that responded. Its good to have this kind of support.