PDA

View Full Version : Buying from breeder

willslark
05-14-2011, 04:16 AM
The breeders in have been looking to purchase from have ph conditions around 6.5, my tank is 7.4

How are these discus placed in the tank considering the large difference in PH

Any recomendations good and bad on discus breeders to purchase from or not

Darrell Ward
05-14-2011, 04:29 AM
The PH shouldn't be a problem. I recommend any sponsor listed on this site. They can't last very long here selling poor quality fish.

PAR23
05-14-2011, 08:38 AM
I would go to the sponsor page and read all the reviews/comments of each seller. They are the way to go.

Skip
05-14-2011, 11:35 AM
they will be fine.. just acclimate them properly for about 1.5 hrs.. taking some water out and putting in tank water...

ph going up is ok for the fish *hence the slow acclimation*

its ph dropping.. that causes problems..

mmorris
05-15-2011, 08:16 AM
I would go to the sponsor page and read all the reviews/comments of each seller. They are the way to go.

The sponsor pages are for advertising and promotion. Do a search in the Livestock and Product Reviews for particular sellers.

atitagain
05-15-2011, 09:05 AM
Willslark to acclimate fish I get overnighted I normally use airline tied in a knot and a 5 gallon bucket. You can tighten the knot in the air line to get the flow to a slow trickle.

I add an airstone and normally go a couple hours with the lid on the bucket to limit stress. It's worked pretty well and hopefully I be trying it out again this week when I get my fish from Kenny.

LizStreithorst
05-15-2011, 10:51 AM
I just drop and plop. Always have. Never had a problem. IME the fish handle a large change in pH just fine once in a while. It's changes in pH from changing water straight from the tap daily that causes stress over time. The pH swing is too great in my water to use unaged for WC.

Darrell Ward
05-15-2011, 11:40 AM
I agree. Drop and plop em'. I've done it for years. That dripping crap originated in the saltwater hobby. I want my fish out of that dirty, ammonia laden water, as soon as possible. They can handle a shift in PH easier than filthy shipping water. Next time you get an overnight shipment, open the bag, stick your nose up to the open bag, and get a big whiff. You can smell the ammonia in there. The longer this water is exposed to fresh air, the stronger this smell becomes. Ammonia can burn gills, and cause big problems.

Larry Bugg
05-15-2011, 12:17 PM
+3. I plop and drop. I want them out of the dirty water and in the clean tank water quickly. NEVER had a issue with plop and drop.

mmorris
05-16-2011, 07:58 AM
I always float the bag for 20 minutes to adjust for temp.

John_Nicholson
05-16-2011, 10:12 AM
As long as your Ph is higher and your water warmer than the bag water the plop and drop is by far the best method.

-john

Chad Adams
05-16-2011, 12:42 PM
I just drop and plop. Always have. Never had a problem. IME the fish handle a large change in pH just fine once in a while. It's changes in pH from changing water straight from the tap daily that causes stress over time. The pH swing is too great in my water to use unaged for WC.

I agree. Drop and plop em'. I've done it for years. That dripping crap originated in the saltwater hobby. I want my fish out of that dirty, ammonia laden water, as soon as possible. They can handle a shift in PH easier than filthy shipping water. Next time you get an overnight shipment, open the bag, stick your nose up to the open bag, and get a big whiff. You can smell the ammonia in there. The longer this water is exposed to fresh air, the stronger this smell becomes. Ammonia can burn gills, and cause big problems.

+3. I plop and drop. I want them out of the dirty water and in the clean tank water quickly. NEVER had a issue with plop and drop.

I always float the bag for 20 minutes to adjust for temp.

As long as your Ph is higher and your water warmer than the bag water the plop and drop is by far the best method.

-john

+++, The best method in my opinion.

Chad

willslark
05-17-2011, 07:23 PM
Thank you all, just wanted to make sure. Some of the breeders say not to go straight in alkaline water.

Discus-Hans
05-17-2011, 09:34 PM
If the Discus are well packed they still should be on temp. pH at arrival should be lower as in your tank. Cut the bag open, drain in a net (put a bucket or the shipping box under it and don't drain on the carpet) and plop the Discus in the tank. This is what we do with all our Discus if they come in. No problems.

Hans
www.discusfishstore.com

Disgirl
05-17-2011, 10:32 PM
I remember being so scared the first time I did this, as was recommended here, but it worked great!
Barb

Neco
05-18-2011, 10:27 AM
You still can find thousands of people that keep the fish in that nasty water for HOURS before to free it in the tank, many people that worries a lot about this part, but after that donīt take proper care of ammonia levels, water changes, proper parameters...

I keep on doing some kind of "ceremony" with new specimens, specially big ones; keeping them inside the tank (still in the bag), for some minutes, adding water from my tank with a plastic cup, and after four-five cups... free them.

With small ones, and most of the other species... unpack, and to the tank.