PDA

View Full Version : How long does frozen fish food last?

christian1971
05-14-2011, 09:46 PM
How long does it last if never opened. Reason I ask is that I have the opportunity now to buy several frozen items, but not sure if it is any good after a few months. Such things as krill, brine shrimp, ocean supreme......

Altum Nut
05-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Hey Christian,

Do you know what make of frozen food it is?
A good way of telling is if it has freezer burn. Frozen food whether it be for human consumption or fish will show freezer burn after a long period. If it was air tight or vacuum sealed it seems to last longer.

...Ralph

christian1971
05-14-2011, 10:01 PM
I am referring to any frozen fish food that has not been opened yet. I am aware of freezer burn. I don't even have fish yet, but would like to get stuff before hand.

Altum Nut
05-14-2011, 10:44 PM
I am referring to any frozen fish food that has not been opened yet. I am aware of freezer burn. I don't even have fish yet, but would like to get stuff before hand.

I know what you were talking about. Un-opened frozen fish food will eventually go bad. It dehydrates which eventually gets freezer burn. When do you plan on getting fish and how long will food be left unused. Seems like a waste to me if you’re talking many months ahead.
I would think that one year would be tops if that’s all you want to know. One year from just packaged. How long has this person had the frozen food for?

...Ralph

strawberryblonde
05-14-2011, 11:36 PM
I have frozen food that I purchased in January. I'm still using it daily without any quality issues. So long as your freezer maintains good temps and the package is unopened you're safe for up to a year. As an extra precaution, if you are storing it for 3-6 months before use, double bag the packages in freezer weight bags, then place them in the coldest part of your freezer (furthest from the door).

I'm like you Christian, I wanted to purchase absolutely everything that I'd need ahead of time so that when my discus arrived, I wouldn't have to be running around buying things. You're in the middle of setting up your tank now, right?

daveo
05-15-2011, 06:11 AM
I would say 6 months or so.
Best to keep in a chest deep frezzer, rather then a kicthen defrost frezzer.
This is the key IMHO.

Daveo

mmorris
05-15-2011, 08:10 AM
If you have any doubts about the quality of the food, don't buy it.

moon_knight1971
05-15-2011, 01:58 PM
Nothing I ever buy, for myself or for the fish, never lasts beyond 2 -3 months in my freezer lol

Joey!