PDA

View Full Version : Too many choices...

Dazed
05-16-2011, 09:36 PM
Hey all, well I'm about ready to place my first discus order in the next week or so and I feel like a kid in a candy store with all the different strains. I plan of ordering about 6 discus of a forum sponsors but before I do had a quick question.

This might seem silly but I want to double check. Is it ok to have 6 different strains in the tank, or is it more preferred to have 2 or 3 of the same strain when stocking?

Thanks again,
Dazed

YSS
05-16-2011, 09:44 PM
I would go with one strain or at most two, but it's really whatever you want.

ericatdallas
05-16-2011, 09:52 PM
You can mix and match as you please (try to keep the same size)... personally, I don't like every color under the rainbow in my tank, but it's personal preference.

You also run into the problem if your discus pair up and breed, certain combinations can be unattractive to most people.

Dazed
05-16-2011, 09:55 PM
Awesome, I justed wanted to make sure. Thanks for the quick replies

strawberryblonde
05-16-2011, 10:32 PM
I have a rainbow of discus in my tank. I tried to keep the color combinations within a nice range and the only one who really doesn't "fit in" is my Marlboro. I love his color, but it's just too bright and flashy against the more muted patterns of the other fish.

I figured out how to fix it though. <insert evil grin here>
I bought a 115 gallon tank on craigslist so now I can add one more marlboro so he won't look all out of place. Of course, I'll also need to add another flachen for balance. And it's not fair to leave my brilliant out of all the fun of having a new buddy. Oh dear, I'm gonna need a bigger tank! LOL

Dazed
05-16-2011, 10:41 PM
I figured out how to fix it though. <insert evil grin here>
I bought a 115 gallon tank on craigslist so now I can add one more marlboro so he won't look all out of place. Of course, I'll also need to add another flachen for balance. And it's not fair to leave my brilliant out of all the fun of having a new buddy. Oh dear, I'm gonna need a bigger tank! LOL

One thing I've learned is that you could always use a bigger tank....

ericatdallas
05-16-2011, 11:02 PM
Wait, now you have two tanks ... so you can just sort them by their colors. :)

moon_knight1971
05-17-2011, 12:24 AM
I have 6 and its still not enough lol

Joey!

strawberryblonde
05-17-2011, 12:36 AM
You guys made me laugh tonight! =)

Now that you've mentioned it Eric, once these guys are all grown out I think I just might put the marlboro's (plural...see, I'm thinking ahead!) into the 54. It'll be a bit squishy with five of them in there, but if I leave out the driftwood, reduce the number of plants, nix having any other fish in the tank ...hmmm...they just might fit! Got a shoehorn? LOL