PDA

View Full Version : White Cherry Shrimp?

mmorris
05-20-2011, 03:39 PM
I'm new to raising cherry shrimp, and I thought the white ones were juveniles but now I see lots of babies have lots of color. Someone told me to cull the white ones (ie., start a colony in my discus display tank) but I thought I'd better check in before finding out I culled all the females, or something...

seanyuki
05-20-2011, 03:45 PM
hi Martha.......I got cherry shrimps at home too......try the Mosura products.

here's a good shrimp forum.

http://www.shrimpnow.com/forums/forum.php?

http://www.mosura-intl.com/product.php

hth

mmorris
05-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Thanks for that Francis. Do you get white ones?

seanyuki
05-20-2011, 05:21 PM
Hi Martha......have not got any white ones......my shrimp tank is a 40 gallons tank and the baby shrimplets are red.......next step for me are those CRS how to breed them and grade them lol.

another link for u lah.

http://www.gcshop-sg.com/learn.php

mmorris
05-21-2011, 08:13 AM
Perhaps 'white' wasn't the word to use. Some don't have any - or very little - red on them. I've read that the males are not as colorful, and juvies may not have fully colored up. At the same time, they could be the wild varient, and so should be culled. Has anyone run into them without the red? Cull or no? They're breeding like crazy.

seanyuki
05-21-2011, 08:26 AM
Keep them Martha......males are lighter color and females are dark red.

Hsunami
05-21-2011, 08:47 AM
if they are "white" then they would end up being A+, S, SS, SSS, SSS+ Crystal Red shrimp. THe higher the grade the more white they will have in them. If you do have cherry shrimp there should be zero white. Its more (Males) Dull Red/Transparent (Females) Darker Red/Less Transparent. (Won't be full body red, u'll end up seeing spots of transparent unless you get the FIRE RED Cherries).

And starting a shrimp colony with your Discus you would probably end up having them get eaten. Better to start a species only tank then if you want you can add the "bigger" ones into the main tank. But you will not see them as much since there is a "threat" right above them. Especially ones that can eat them with no hassle.

mmorris
05-21-2011, 08:50 AM
Keep them Martha......males are lighter color and females are dark red.

This light, Francis? I guess I could have posted pics from the start. :embarassed:

Sorry about the quality of the pics. I let the algae grow as it will in the shrimp tank.

Hsunami
05-21-2011, 08:56 AM
o wow now thats a new one. def. not a Crystal or a ghost shrimp. Thats Cool looking. That i have no answer too, never seen it. Hope someone can help you with that.

mmorris
05-21-2011, 08:57 AM
And starting a shrimp colony with your Discus you would probably end up having them get eaten. Better to start a species only tank then if you want you can add the "bigger" ones into the main tank. But you will not see them as much since there is a "threat" right above them. Especially ones that can eat them with no hassle.

Thanks Kevin. They are in a species-only tank.

mmorris
05-21-2011, 08:58 AM
o wow now thats a new one. def. not a Crystal or a ghost shrimp. Thats Cool looking. That i have no answer too, never seen it. Hope someone can help you with that.

Could it be the wild type?

Hsunami
05-21-2011, 09:00 AM
oh ok, not sure. Never heard of a "wild" shrimp yet like we do with discus. Not counting the ones people eat.

vera
05-21-2011, 10:07 AM
I wouldnt cull transperant ones , when i bougth a batch of juvies they were same colrless , in less then one month they got dark red for females and lighter red for males

mmorris
05-21-2011, 10:13 AM
Thanks for that Natalia. It's confusing because lots of the babies have red color.

vera
05-21-2011, 10:15 AM
Np Martha i'll try to post for u waht they turned to b as soon as they got in to breeding mood

vera
05-21-2011, 10:22 AM
here it is , bad shot , but just to give u the idea
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/vera80/DSCF00142000x1500.jpg

mmorris
05-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Great pic, Natalia! I got mine in April, I think it was, and they've been reproducing like crazy. It sounds like you are saying it's an age thing - given that males have less color than females. But many of the tiny babies show more red than shrimp much older than them, some of whom don't show any red at all! I'll leave them be, then, but if they do turn out to be the wild type, I don't want them reproducing.

seanyuki
05-21-2011, 01:25 PM
Hi Aunti Martha.......what are you feeding those cherry red shrimps?.....just learning lah

mmorris
05-21-2011, 06:40 PM
Hi Aunti Martha.......what are you feeding those cherry red shrimps?.....just learning lah

Hi Francis, they are in a tank with tons of algae under a sky light and next to a bank of windows. There's java moss in the tank for whatever grows on that, plus I feed them algae wafers and pieces of green squash and cucumber.

broken poles
06-10-2011, 09:25 PM
There is a variant of the cherry shrimp which is white. The trade name is snowball. They should be listed on one of the links mentioned earlier. Hth

mrblah00
06-10-2011, 10:52 PM
I wouldn't cull them, but start a second colony with only the more red ones. As for the sex, the saddle is the most obvious way to tell. The females will have a saddle or be carrying eggs. We had a 135 gallon plant tank with red, yellow and green neocardia shrimp in it. It was very interesting the different patterns that start to show up in a few generations. I just broke down the tank to make it a bare bottom for more discus but was able to salvage quite a few shrimp that had lots of different patterns. I'll try to see if i can get some pics.
Sam

nc0gnet0
06-11-2011, 03:15 PM
Martha,

It is common, in my expierience. it's just a combination of a dilution of the gene pool, what you feed, and water conditions/lighting. I actually had a colony of cherry shrimp in my discus display tank that was several generations deep, start having some yellow cherry shrimp.

Rick

mmorris
06-11-2011, 07:59 PM
Martha,

It is common, in my expierience. it's just a combination of a dilution of the gene pool, what you feed, and water conditions/lighting. I actually had a colony of cherry shrimp in my discus display tank that was several generations deep, start having some yellow cherry shrimp.

Rick
Does a dilution of the gene pool mean a reversion to the wild color? What can I feed to bring out the red? My water is soft so I've recently begun adding calcium and magnesium. The tank gets a lot of light. There's such a difference in color, though, between individuals. Do juvies have the color of adults? No yellows here; it sounds like yours had a yellow ancestor.

mrblah00
06-11-2011, 08:36 PM
Tetra color bits seem to color them up nicely.

mmorris
06-11-2011, 10:10 PM
Aren't they vegetarian?

nc0gnet0
06-11-2011, 11:58 PM
I think they are omnivores, eating whatever they can scavenge. Brine shrimp direct makes a plankton flake that contains naturose, this should color them up nice. Might want to reduce the light intensity as well. Btw, juvie discus love this flake as well.

Rick

broken poles
06-12-2011, 12:01 AM
Does a dilution of the gene pool mean a reversion to the wild color? What can I feed to bring out the red? My water is soft so I've recently begun adding calcium and magnesium. The tank gets a lot of light. There's such a difference in color, though, between individuals. Do juvies have the color of adults? No yellows here; it sounds like yours had a yellow ancestor.
Yes, they will eventually revert to wild color. My juvies are lightr than the adults and the males can very light. if you leave the shed exoskeletons in the tank and they will eat them to get the minerals back. I also feed mine some tetra bits.

Aren't they vegetarian?
They are scavengers and will eat most things, including dead shrimp and meat based foods.if you haven't found it yet, anothwr good site is theshrimpfarm.com. there is lots of good info there including a chart to show which colors can be in the same tank and which should'nt be together.

broken poles
06-12-2011, 12:05 AM
nc0gnetO, you type faster than me, lol

mmorris
06-12-2011, 09:20 AM
I found on the ShimpNow forum (thanks for the link, Francis) that Red Cherry shrimp color up after a couple of months, and as I've only had them since April, I'll just have to wait and see. I'll try tetra bits for variety but there's tons of algae in the tank - the reason why I want to keep it brightly lit. I can't believe I've only had them a couple of months. I've had to move them from a 5 gallon to a 10 gallon and now a 20. No bigger! If they color up, I can start selling them. I think I should spend some time reading more about them.

seanyuki
06-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Hi Mathra......Shrimp Compatibility Chart.

http://www.theshrimptank.com/articles/compatibilitychart.html

I also feed my shrimps Mosura Excel & Mosura Bio Plus.

http://www.theshrimptank.com/articles/mosura.html

Got the Mosura from this place in the States.

http://www.theshrimptank.com/store.html

seanyuki
06-12-2011, 10:00 AM
I want some of these Black King Kong shrimps lol...

BKK

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo232/aiseanyuki/th_90081d19.jpg (http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo232/aiseanyuki/90081d19.jpg)

Crystal Black "King Kong" shrimp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXi0yVxH19I

mmorris
06-12-2011, 04:34 PM
Those are neat! Perhaps I should give Crystals a shot. Are your shrimp reproducing, Francis?

seanyuki
06-13-2011, 11:04 AM
hi Martha.....Black King Kong shrimps were sold in an auction in 2009 for US $8,500 a pair.......these days they a bit cheaper but I still cannot afford them .......BKK shrimps are for me to droll only lol.

Those are neat! Perhaps I should give Crystals a shot. Are your shrimp reproducing, Francis?

mmorris
06-13-2011, 09:55 PM
hi Martha.....Black King Kong shrimps were sold in an auction in 2009 for US $8,500 a pair........
:shocked2:

hedut
06-13-2011, 11:15 PM
WOW that's to much for small shrimp :)

mmorris
06-14-2011, 12:55 PM
They love the tetra bits! Thanks for the suggestion, mrblah00. You're right, Hendri, that's too much for shrimp. I'll sell you one of mine for $1,000. Cheap!

fishguy456
11-29-2015, 05:10 PM
They love the tetra bits! Thanks for the suggestion, mrblah00. You're right, Hendri, that's too much for shrimp. I'll sell you one of mine for $1,000. Cheap!

Just saw this thread, some interesting stuff, don't know if they shrimp stayed colorless, they definitely aren't snowball shrimp though... snowballs are more white and these are colorless as previously mentioned. Definitely a neat shrimp, but i feel it would not be worth much on the shrimp market as it is very similar to a ghost shrimp(hope you don't take this in the wrong way just trying to state my two cents!) I know this post was a while ago, hope you are still having success breeding them, something i never had, could only keep them, i didn't seem to loose any, just... wouldn't reproduce.