PDA

View Full Version : Nitrate ?!

hillmar78
05-23-2011, 11:11 AM
Well I wanted to post this a few weeks ago, but been busy with a few things so I haven't got the chance till now.
I was doing my water testing and notice a very low reading of nitrate.....so low that I wonder if its even there. I reconfirmed the readings the same day at my LFS to make sure my testing wasn't off. I'm doing about 2 50 percent water changes a week, and feeding about 4 times a day. I was wandering if the low reading of nitrate should be a indication of reducing water changes or even increasing them??!! What role does nitrate play on my discus??!! I have Discus ranging from 3.5" - 6" currently, and my food scavaging crew of 8 cory and 1 bn pleco ( those cory are so fat, looks like plump footballs swimming around)
Any advice would be appreciated..... The LFS gave me a reading of 0.1 for nitrate!!!
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w155/mazda6fan/9e31e0c2.jpg

strawberryblonde
05-23-2011, 11:17 AM
Definitely don't reduce the water changes. The water change provides a lot more than just nitrate reduction.

Do you have a planted tank? Plants will consume nitrates and can account for super low readings, but the water is still depleted of vital minerals that the discus need for optimal health, hence the regular water changes.

What size tank is it and what type of filtration are you using? It's not often that people post with worries that their nitrates are too low. =)

jimg
05-23-2011, 11:23 AM
That reading just shows your tank is cycled. You can continue as you have been. I would add a 80%+- wc once a week or two to your wc routine.More as they grow.

hillmar78
Definitely don't reduce the water changes. The water change provides a lot more than just nitrate reduction.

Do you have a planted tank? Plants will consume nitrates and can account for super low readings, but the water is still depleted of vital minerals that the discus need for optimal health, hence the regular water changes.

What size tank is it and what type of filtration are you using? It's not often that people post with worries that their nitrates are too low. =)
Just worried since everybody is aiming for a nitrate of 5 from what I've read. I have plants but not alot of them.... just some java ferns and anubias petite.( nothing too extreme) Its a 90 gallon tank that has been up and running for about 4 months now, and the filtration was out from 55 gallon tank and has been running for about 4 months prior.
filtration ( sorry have to list it)
1 large hydro sponge filter
2 bio mini sponge filters
1 eheim 2028 pro
1 rena xp3

Lulu
Do you have heaps of live plants in the tank? Are you testing before or after watchange?

If you're ammonia and nitrIte are 0, then I wouldnt worry... Enjoy your low nitrAtes!! :D

ETA: saw previous post re plants after i had posted lol

hillmar78
05-23-2011, 11:30 AM
Do you have heaps of live plants in the tank? Are you testing before or after watchange?

If you're ammonia and nitrItes are 0, then I wouldnt worry... Enjoy your low nitrAtes!! :D
I have plants but not alot of them as I mentioned on the above post... all my water testing is before I do my water changes.

Lulu
05-23-2011, 11:34 AM
Sorry, i saw that after i had posted :)

Cambik
05-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Just for your information. I have the same plants as you but in a 55G tank. I have low Nitrates as well and a PH of around 7.8-8.0. My Water is very hard as well. Of course I have attributed this to a low stocked tank at this point. I Don't currently have any Discus but am planning on getting some in the next couple of weeks. Just thought I would trow that out there.

strawberryblonde
05-23-2011, 12:10 PM
You're one of the lucky ones hillmar, enjoy it! For 3.5" discus I'd up the water changes though. They really need the fresh water more often than what you are currently doing. Other than that, it all seems to be working.