PDA

View Full Version : my saltwater setup

Arjunpun
05-24-2011, 06:16 AM
http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz205/arjunpun/2010-07-16at06-55-15.png
http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz205/arjunpun/2010-07-16at06-57-58.png
http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz205/arjunpun/2010-07-16at06-52-27.png

change water once a month,really easy than keeping discus.:)

YSS
05-24-2011, 09:15 AM
change water once a month,really easy than keeping discus.:)

I am with you 100%. I have a 36G and I do around 10% water changes every month. But I only have 4 small fish in the tank. Very low bio-load. :-)

Nice setup. Looks great. What size is it?

mkv
05-24-2011, 01:44 PM
I have a reef coral that has been running for 12 years and to this day... Discus are way on another level!!!!!! from care to breeding

hedut
05-24-2011, 05:03 PM
SWEET looking good bro

Arjunpun
05-25-2011, 03:59 AM
SWEET looking good bro

hendri u sud get one saltwater tank too:p

Arjunpun
05-25-2011, 04:00 AM
I am with you 100%. I have a 36G and I do around 10% water changes every month. But I only have 4 small fish in the tank. Very low bio-load. :-)

Nice setup. Looks great. What size is it?
its 65 gallon with 24 gallon fuge

Arjunpun
05-25-2011, 04:05 AM
I have a reef coral that has been running for 12 years and to this day... Discus are way on another level!!!!!! from care to breeding
i feel like once u have success with discus u can keep any fish.

mikel
05-25-2011, 09:36 AM
yup very true. I have a small 20 L coral tank with two mandarins only. Piece of cake to make sure they two finiky fishe eat and stay fat....change 10% water every three days (because I have to feed the mandarins manually so much food), but really nothing compare to the maintenance of the two 40 breeders full of discus. But the discus is still very special, and all the work just reinforces that fact. Sucker for punishment, I guess. ;)

Arjunpun
05-27-2011, 03:42 AM
yup very true. I have a small 20 L coral tank with two mandarins only. Piece of cake to make sure they two finiky fishe eat and stay fat....change 10% water every three days (because I have to feed the mandarins manually so much food), but really nothing compare to the maintenance of the two 40 breeders full of discus. But the discus is still very special, and all the work just reinforces that fact. Sucker for punishment, I guess. ;)

where did u get the fish from.are they tank bred.

YSS
05-27-2011, 10:06 AM

What do you feed your mandarins? I thought they only eat live pods in your tank and don't eat anything else. I've never had success keeping mandarins alive. I gave up after trying for a couple of years. May be I can try again. As a matter of fact, I couldn't even keep my clowns alive for more than a few months when I first started. But the currnet pair I have, they must be over 2 years old. So, may be a mandarin can live in my tank now. :-)

naruwan
05-27-2011, 01:15 PM
very nice saltwater tank :)

mikel
05-27-2011, 02:24 PM
Ok guys...There is a place in Florida call ORA (Ocean Reef and Aquarium). Thye are in the salt water culturing business. They have in the past year able to tank breed first the spotted mandarin, then the more colorful blue/red mandarins. I bought one of their first spotted, and a few months later, one of the very very first tank bred blue mandarin. The going was tough in the past year for people like me who shelled out $60 for the spotted and a bit more for the blue.....they did not eat well after they were brought home. Mine ate the mix of cyclopeeze and Ova eggs pretty quickly, but my two fish are the exceptions. Some others had fish that starved to death.

Now, apparently, ORA is sending out older fish so the problem might be getting resolved. In any case, you need to spot feed these guys, at least twice a day, with no filter on for at least a good hour for them to slowly eat all the food. You cannot keep them in a tank with aggressive feeders because they will starve to death. Even as tank bred fish, they take dedication, but that's easy for us discus keepers. I laugh when some people complain that their tank bred ORA mandarin did not do well because they think they can just plop the fish into a reef tank and it will live on its own. Tank bred mandarins are still high maintenance, just be warned.

PS there are some ORA mandarins for sale in Skiptons just last week. Go check it out, but be warned of the work, and the feeding will pollute your beautiful tank and there may well be an algae problem. I keep mandarins, and I dont care about how priscine my reef tank is, and maybe that is why my two mandarins are doing so well. Good luck mike

YSS
05-27-2011, 02:32 PM
Ok guys...There is a place in Florida call ORA (Ocean Reef and Aquarium). Thye are in the salt water culturing business. They have in the past year able to tank breed first the spotted mandarin, then the more colorful blue/red mandarins. I bought one of their first spotted, and a few months later, one of the very very first tank bred blue mandarin. The going was tough in the past year for people like me who shelled out $60 for the spotted and a bit more for the blue.....they did not eat well after they were brought home. Mine ate the mix of cyclopeeze and Ova eggs pretty quickly, but my two fish are the exceptions. Some others had fish that starved to death.

Now, apparently, ORA is sending out older fish so the problem might be getting resolved. In any case, you need to spot feed these guys, at least twice a day, with no filter on for at least a good hour for them to slowly eat all the food. You cannot keep them in a tank with aggressive feeders because they will starve to death. Even as tank bred fish, they take dedication, but that's easy for us discus keepers. I laugh when some people complain that their tank bred ORA mandarin did not do well because they think they can just plop the fish into a reef tank and it will live on its own. Tank bred mandarins are still high maintenance, just be warned.

PS there are some ORA mandarins for sale in Skiptons just last week. Go check it out, but be warned of the work, and the feeding will pollute your beautiful tank and there may well be an algae problem. I keep mandarins, and I dont care about how priscine my reef tank is, and maybe that is why my two mandarins are doing so well. Good luck mike

Ok, thanks. Way too much work for me. I will just have to wait until I get a bigger SW tank to get a mandarin. As long as you have enough pods in your tank, I heard they do well. I have lots of liverock in my tank, but not sure if I have enough pods to keep a mandarin fed.

SantaMonicaHelp
10-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Nice setup!

alleykat0498
11-01-2011, 08:15 PM
I like it, I'll share some of my past setups reef and fish only when my post count hits pic sharing status!