PDA

View Full Version : Which canister filter for my 135 gallon

les2011
05-24-2011, 06:24 AM
I have been on several different forms as well as to my lfs, and it is to the point where there are to many cooks in the kitchen, and now I'm confused on which canister filter to use, ehiem, marineland, fluval, I should chose for my 135 gallon planted discus project. I want to have two one for each end, at least that's what I being told. Also was looking to go with Sicce for the Co2 system, for the simplicity but it doesn't accommodate my tank size, what would be a good alternative for that as well?

YSS
05-24-2011, 11:32 AM
I have fluval FX5, Rena XP4, Eheim 2028 pro series, and a cascade 100 on my 265G. Eheims are nice but expensive. I would go for two XP4s if I were you. I like the XP4. Also, I used to have a fluval 405 on this tank, but got rid of it. I still have one on my african tank, but I really don't like it.

ericatdallas
05-24-2011, 11:49 AM
I have two Fluval 405s... not a big fan. They work great but I think maintenance is kind of a pain. Not sure about the others though... I always have a hard time taking the motor off to clean, so maybe it's just me not knowing the correct technique. It's actually a good thing (if you don't like leaks) because the seal is so tight on mine it's hard to remove. It's moves water very well...

Not sure if that's a problem common to all canisters.

I have two AC110s and they work pretty well. (I know, not canisters...)

Since you're buying two, maybe you can buy one each of two different brands. Kind of hedge your bet. The thing is, they're all so comparable that it probably comes down to individual preferences to how things are done, but in the end, they're probably pretty equally effective for what they do.

YSS
05-24-2011, 12:46 PM
I generally find workmanship on Fluval products inferior to Rena products.

ZX10R
05-24-2011, 01:16 PM
I don't know why more people don't use these off ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aquarium-4-Stage-CANISTER-FILTER-9W-UV-Sterilizer-/360295672081?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e34ba911

I have two of them and have never had a problem and others on here have also had good luck with them. Plus they are CHEAP!!!!

atitagain
05-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Same design as the Marineland C series canisters at a much lower price.

I run the C530 on my 150 and like it! I also run an eheim 2224 with in inline UV that has been running with no problem.

I added a DIY spraybar to the 530.

I pulled the FX5 off because it had a micro-bubble issue which I found out later was a know issue with this filter.