PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Cost

christian1971
05-24-2011, 11:02 PM
What is the average shipping cost of say 6 discus via FedEx within the US?

Skip
05-24-2011, 11:03 PM

60 to 90

wendy9722
05-25-2011, 12:44 AM
60 to 90

or more

Darrell Ward
05-25-2011, 12:48 AM
or more

....depending on the distance.

John_Nicholson
05-25-2011, 07:10 AM
It varies greatly. After the last NADA show Jim and I shipped some fish to Larry and it was somewhere around $150.

-john

mmorris
05-25-2011, 07:26 AM
This might help, although the rates are cheaper if you have a fedex account: https://www.fedex.com/ratefinder/home?cc=US&language=en&locId=express

Jhhnn
05-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Lots of variables, particularly wrt having an account & volume of shipping. Regular shippers like Kenny & Hans get discounts- the rest of us, not so much...

Bud Smith
05-27-2011, 10:38 AM
Usually it is weight x distance but some vendors have other variables they fiqure in
I live in Ohio and I have had 3 discus shipped for $60 from Indiana and I have ordered from California and Florida and 3 discus shipped for $80 to $95
The vendors will either have on their site shipping quotes or just ask - The vendors in this forum will provide you with high quality discus for a reasonable price

jaykne
05-27-2011, 11:59 AM
60 to 90

That is what is cost for Kenny but he gets a big discount 40% or more because of the amount he ships that he passes it on to his customers!!! For the average person cost almost double, and if you want to ship via FedEx you have to send in a test box first and become a registered shipper first, if you don't you are taking a big risk!!!

hedut
05-27-2011, 06:37 PM
$90 to $100 plus to Boston, all people has different price :), that's why never buy two fish you not worth the shipping ;)

Chad Adams
05-27-2011, 08:26 PM
A lot of the cost depends on where the recipient lives. Boonies= Big Bucks.
Chad

Discus-Hans
05-27-2011, 09:01 PM
Shipping cost with FedEx depends on 3 things:

1) distance (from what zip to what zip, the more zones, the higher the cost.

2) weight

3) size of the box

Now 1 is what it is, you can't change.

For 2 & 3 is what's the highest = what get charged.

For 3 they have a calculation L x W x H : 163.

A box weight: 15 lbs but size: 20 x 17 x 15 : 163 = 31.288 = 32 lbs get charge for 32 lbs.
Saturday delivery: + $15.00
Residential delivery: + $2.75
Fuel surcharge: +16% (today, goes up & down with gas prices......correction up all the time because of gas prices)

Yes, because we are volume shipper we get a discount, but I can tell you this, for many boxes to the West coast, we take a lost not on small boxes with 1 or 2 Discus, on those you can't take a lost. On bigger orders = bigger box we some times take a lost.
And we don't even charge our customers for box, carton box (we only use new ones), heat packs, handling, etc. what all our suppliers do.

Hope this answer your question,

Hans

Discus-Hans
05-27-2011, 09:04 PM
A lot of the cost depends on where the recipient lives. Boonies= Big Bucks.
Chad

Boonies doesn't cost more, all depends on same things (see up) only normal area's are delivery before 10:30am (shipping priority overnight, what we always do) Boonies, say AM delivery can go up to 4:30pm delivery for priority overnight.

Hans

Discus-Hans
05-27-2011, 09:32 PM
That is what is cost for Kenny but he gets a big discount 40% or more because of the amount he ships that he passes it on to his customers!!! For the average person cost almost double, and if you want to ship via FedEx you have to send in a test box first and become a registered shipper first, if you don't you are taking a big risk!!!

If we sign our contract with FedEx, you sign for a few things, one is, what ever happens, you sign away your rights to claim any lost in your shipping, something a lot of people don't understand, DOA's we have to pay out of our own pocket. If somebody at FedEx makes a mistake and send my box to Timboekteo instead of Texas (just to name 2 crazy places) and all Discus die, I'm (and Kenny too) out of luck, we have to take that lost.

Remember: FedEx doesn't ship life animals............ they send me invoices every week for shipping Discus, but they don't ship life animals. They allow us to do it, after we signed all our rights away on claims.

Other thing you sign for is that the discount % is between you and FedEx, you're not allowed to give that information to anybody else, with the risk to loose your discount if you do.

Now I'm very very lucky, I think I've the best sales rep. in the whole FedEx organization and some customers were shipments went wrong have even talked with him, he does EVERYTHING in his power to get my shipments at my customers doorstep the same day, talks with (my) customers if needed and works things out. One of the things he does in the morning when he comes in is checking on my shipments and if things look to go wrong he takes even action before I talk to him. Wayne saved many of my shipments,

Hans

Discus-Hans
05-27-2011, 09:34 PM

Also depends on the size of the Discus, 6 x 2.5" Discus is small box, 6 x 6~7" is big box,

Hans

Chad Adams
05-27-2011, 09:47 PM
Boonies doesn't cost more, all depends on same things (see up) only normal area's are delivery before 10:30am (shipping priority overnight, what we always do) Boonies, say AM delivery can go up to 4:30pm delivery for priority overnight.

Hans

Sorry Hans,
I was speaking of UPS, which I have shipped several. Boonies is always more.
Chad

Discus-Hans
05-27-2011, 10:06 PM
Sorry Hans,
I was speaking of UPS, which I have shipped several. Boonies is always more.
Chad

No need to "Sorry" Chad, UPS :juggle: 's any way with a lot of things,

Hans

mmorris
05-28-2011, 10:48 PM
the discount % is between you and FedEx, you're not allowed to give that information to anybody else, with the risk to loose your discount if you do.
Hans
If the buyer pays actual shipping costs, wouldn't the discount be pretty simple to calculate, given fedex's online calculator?

Discus-Hans
05-28-2011, 10:51 PM
If the buyer pays actual shipping costs, wouldn't the discount be pretty simple to calculate, given fedex's online calculator?

yep

Jhhnn
05-29-2011, 11:39 AM

Of course. OTOH, few people do that, and for those of us who do, it just shows us that we're getting a better deal on shipping when we buy from Hans or another frequent shipper. Shipping onesies and twosies is expensive in terms of price per fish, and as Hans points out, there are break points where buying more fish, filling the box, yields a better price per fish...

The FedEx/ UPS game is basically rigged against small shippers, which is why a lot of small aquabid sellers of relatively small & hardy specimens use USPS... and why shipping air cargo airport to airport can save money on relatively large shipments... for most of us, hobbyists, the slight price advantage isn't worth the time & hassle of going to the airport.

Discus-Hans
05-29-2011, 11:57 AM
and why shipping air cargo airport to airport can save money on relatively large shipments... for most of us, hobbyists, the slight price advantage isn't worth the time & hassle of going to the airport.

Not only for hobbyists John, I've this discussion once in a while with stores when they say: but airport to airport is cheaper. It isn't, to send somebody off the floor (who can sell stuff/fish for you) with the 95% shipments coming in late (airport/airport) 3 hours wait is nothing these days.

FedEx drops them off at the store, early or late, you don't loose somebody for hours, that money is made back fast and easy

Hans