PDA

View Full Version : Gonna be a 1st time Discus keeper

Zoom
05-29-2011, 03:03 PM
Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum but I've been learning a lot just from reading other members threads/stickies.

I have a 46 gallon bowfront and I figured this tank isn't big enough for a group of 5-6 Discus so I figured I would go with a pair. I have a Eheim 2215 and a Sponge filter for filtration and a 150 WATT heater that has heat settings that get to 93 Degrees. The tank is going to be barebottom with a huge piece of Driftwood and if I can find some Java ferns, then that would be the only plants in the tank.

I just finished cycling my tank and the stock list right now is: 15 F0 Texas Fry, just an extra precaution to test the water. The fry have been there for about 4 days now and they eat/swim normally. Don't worry, these will be given to a friend once I go out to get my Discus.

Now heres the tricky part.. I have a local breeder that wants to sell me one of his pairs. However, He told me they don't look that great since he's been away for one MONTH for a business trip. Now, It doesn't take a Discus keeper to know that a MONTH with no water changes/feedings will be detrimental to any type of fish. I'm not sure on the price yet as he still hasn't replied yet. Do you guys think its worth it since I'm a first time Discus keeper? If this counts for anything, I've been keeping fish for about 8 years now.. I've bred plenty of fish during that time. Bettas, Flowerhorns, Angels, Firemouths(I know Firemouths are easy to bred but my pair spawned in 2 days after receiving them LOL)

My water change schedule for the Discus pair would be.. 10% water changes daily(Siphoning waste/uneaten food) for 6 days, and a 80% water change for the last day. Feeding: 2 Times a day, NLS EXCLUSIVELY till they're supper full(I'm a big supporter and believer of NLS lol) Tank mates of my pair would be 6-8 Cories(Still undecided on which type) The ph of my water is about 7.6. I do not have a RO unit and I have very hard water but I'm not looking to breed Discus, I just want to be able to keep them alive.

Anyway, sorry for the long introduction. I'm looking forward to any type of input you guys have. :D

DonMD
05-29-2011, 04:26 PM
Well, I don't know what NLS is . . . Two discus can be OK, I suppose, but a 46 gallon tank is on the small side for a good group, say 6 or 7 fish. Two can be an awkward number. You could try four, but that would max out your tank. The problem is that when you don't have a viable number, then one fish will usually get picked on. With small numbers in the tank, there's no rest for the one that gets picked on.

I have a 46g bow front, I'm using it to grow out some juvies that I have. But I think you should give it a try - if your two fish get along, it could be good. Only I would NOT recommend buying someone else's "not looking good" fish. But first rate fish from a SIMPLY sponsor, it will greatly improve your chances of success. Also, you can talk with the seller about your plans - he or she may have a pair that get along well. Just my 2 cents. Good luck. -Don

Cambik
05-29-2011, 06:08 PM
Two will be fine in that tank as long as they are a confirmed pair.

Stephen

discuspaul
05-29-2011, 06:35 PM
I would suggest not buying that pair from the local breeder. Get another pair from a reliable, experienced supplier. You'll be going with bare bottom, with WCs every day (albeit small), and a large change weekly. (Not sure Cories would be comfy in a BB tank, but you might want to think about adding a thin layer of PFS).
Alternatively, your 46 gal. bowfront, while not ideal, would nonetheless be adequate for 5 - 3.5" to 4" sub-adults - & this number may please you better. I've kept 6 in such a tank for a lengthy period, without stunting - they had reached well over 5.5", close to 6.0" when I sold them.

deepflyball
05-29-2011, 07:16 PM
I tried to feed NLS and finally gave it up. Its great food and i feed it to my tropheus, love it but my discus wont eat it. Also your heater might be to small 150. Most heaters have hight ranges but few will get the temp up there. You said a pair, like in 2 or like a breeding pair????? Cories do fine in my barebottom. You dont need a confimed pair unless your planning on breeding them. Check with Kenny ( a sponser) on fish 5 inches and up he can sex them for you. Tell him Jerry sent you and he will take care of you. Jerry

Zoom
05-30-2011, 01:29 AM
Yes a confirmed pair. I think I'll try looking around for better Discus then.

Skip
05-30-2011, 01:44 AM
zoom.. have you not gone to Gulf Coast Discus/Houston Aquarium Warehouse?

mmorris
05-30-2011, 11:35 AM
What sort of problems are his fish experiencing? You might want to tell the guy you will consider his pair in a month or two, when they are back in 'condition.'

Zoom
05-30-2011, 08:18 PM
zoom.. have you not gone to Gulf Coast Discus/Houston Aquarium Warehouse?

I'm considering local breeders before a LFS.

What sort of problems are his fish experiencing? You might want to tell the guy you will consider his pair in a month or two, when they are back in 'condition.'

He hasn't responded to me yet, I think he pair might not be doing so well.

Skip
05-30-2011, 10:43 PM
zoom. . they are a SPONSOR of SD... they have good fish ..

mkv
05-30-2011, 11:30 PM
IMO the better the quality of fish you start with the greater the chances of enjoying them in the long term. Also you might want to up you water change schedule, with the feeding regimen they need even adults, you will see that 10% is not really going to keep up with the waste..... The more you can change the better.... Good luck

Zoom
05-31-2011, 01:21 AM
zoom. . they are a SPONSOR of SD... they have good fish ..
I never said they didn't have good fish. I'm just choosing to support a local breeder before a LFS. Please respect my decision

IMO the better the quality of fish you start with the greater the chances of enjoying them in the long term. Also you might want to up you water change schedule, with the feeding regimen they need even adults, you will see that 10% is not really going to keep up with the waste..... The more you can change the better.... Good luck

Hmm Would 25% daily w/c's and 4 times a day be better?

Skip
05-31-2011, 02:04 AM
I never said they didn't have good fish. I'm just choosing to support a local breeder before a LFS. Please respect my decision

LOL>> what is i don't :)