PDA

View Full Version : What kind of filter is best for peat use

neon
05-30-2011, 09:05 PM
I have 55gal tank with 6 discus, 2 rams, and 1 algae eater. I also have live plants,driftwood and a sand bottem. The filter I have now is a marineland power filter emperor 400. What would be best to do add a filter that you can put peat into and keep the HOB or get rid of it all together? This is what I'm trying to do is use the peat to get the yellow tint back into the water. I do know that I will have to remove the carbon from the HOB filter. Then I want to change my sand to mystic white pool sand or should I go with a different color of sand? So any help to what filter and brand I should purchase would be great.
:fish:

William Palumbo
05-30-2011, 09:09 PM
Canister filters are the best at it IMHO...Bill

Jennie
05-30-2011, 09:19 PM
Ive done sponges, canister and HOB AC's..love the hob's best and easier to clean..but to each his own

Darrell Ward
05-30-2011, 10:01 PM
Yeah, I don't think a 55 gal. either needs, nor justifies the cost of a canister. I generally just throw a couple of HydroSponge III's in a 55. In your case, I'd just get an Aquaclear 110, run the tank water level to the lip of the filter to avoid spashing with your weeds, and add the peat to the filter in a mesh bag.

nc0gnet0
05-30-2011, 11:01 PM
Get a magnum 350 add some sera super peat pellets from David Rose, and your done. Plus you can through the cartridge in the 350 from time to time to polish the water.

Rick

Darrell Ward
05-31-2011, 02:15 AM
Well, the peat pellets are a good idea, but I can't see spending a 100 bucks for a filter for a 55 gal. tank, when you can do a large water change in 15 minutes if you need to "polish water". It would be different if it were a much larger tank.