PDA

View Full Version : Angelfish Breeding Habits?

ockyra215
05-31-2011, 09:35 PM
Ok I have two pairs in my angels only tank spawn 1 air gave up and had caviar and the other pair is watching thier eggs like champs! My question is I am going to see if they even hatch but if they do will parents care for them like discus or not?

decula
05-31-2011, 10:26 PM
I've managed to keep one good spawn from Angels - I pulled the fry shortly after they were swimming, put them in a 1 gall
with some methylene blue. They had other hatches, but the ones left for the parents would die off. Not the parents fault,
parasites in the water. About 7 days after hatching, I started putting a pinch of GP Reef and Larval Fish Diet 50-100 micron
in the water and their little bellies started turning orange. Others use brine shrimp - i like the no mess, no fuss of the fish
diet.

My experience is that if the eggs start turning white after about 36-48 hours, they are infertile. Our male is lazy. :)
The pair will clean those up themselves. The mom and dad will try to keep the free swimmers in a place they
deem safe - you'll swear the are eating the fry - then you'll see them spit out a mouth full of the babies where
they want them to be. Very satisfying/funny to watch.

Good luck!
-dec

Larry Bugg
06-01-2011, 01:24 AM
Like discus, no. Some angels do make good parents but not all. I always pulled the wigglers or free swimmers and placed them in a shoe box size container. If they are in a tank with other angels they will eventually get eaten.

Scott293
06-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Angel fry don't need their parents. I've raised many many spawns and kept local pet stores supplied. They are what got me started on discus. The slate or whatever they used to lay on can be transferred to a twenty gallon. I found the best time is a couple hours after they are laid. Then when they start free swimming, add brine shrimp for food. 2 weeks later your pair will lay again. You will have 20 gallon tanks lining every wall in your fish room. If you get enough of them you can put in a bid to petsmart, or petworld, or jacks... the larger chains, for thousands nickle size per month. My neighbor went that far. At times I thought he had the better idea. I was lining my basement with expensive 55 gallon tanks for discus while he simply had tens and twenties for angelfish.