PDA

View Full Version : Finally taking the plunge

evenstarms
06-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Hi everyone,

I am setting up a tank for my very first discus. I have had aquariums for about 20 years now. It started when I was a teen and just progressed from there. I have had just about every kind of fish imaginable except for discus. I always heard that they are so difficult. Now I am pretty confident with all I have learned over the years. I have been reading up on this site which is absolutely wonderful! :)
Anyways, I am planning on getting 12 3" juvies from Hans in about a month. I have a 54 gallon corner tank that is bare bottom with a large piece of driftwood in it that I was going to put them in at first. I have a Hydor IV as well as an XP2 for filtration on it. Temp is at 84. I am planning to eventually put them into my 125 gallon but thought it would be best to grow them out some more in the smaller bare bottom tank. Does this set up sound good for them? At what size would I want to move them over to the 125? Thanks for any help in advance.

deepflyball
06-03-2011, 11:55 AM
If you feed them well and keep them in clean water they will grow verry fast. 12 at 3 inches is alot of fish for a 55 gal. I wouldnt leave them in there to long and i would do 2 water changes /day 50-75%
For max groth feed beefheart and freeze dryed black worms from AL ( brewmaster) about 5 or 6 times/ day Jerry

evenstarms
06-03-2011, 09:52 PM
Would it be better then if I just put them in the 125 right away? I could take the substrate out so it would be bare bottom or else just have a small amount sand. I could just transfer my fish from the 125 to the 54 gallon and set up the 125 right away if that would be better for them and give them enough room. For filtration the 125 has an XP2, XP3 and an Eheim 2229 wet/dry filter. Would that be enough filtration for that tank? I could also put the sponge filter, Hydor IV in there as well.

scottthomas
06-03-2011, 11:06 PM
I would do as you plan and grow them out in the 55 a little first, especially if the plan is to grow adults for an eventual planted aquarium with substrate and other fish. I have a 100 gallon tank with over 30 adult discus and they are very healthy and fat. :) Just watch them and you will probably know when its time to introduce them to the 125 gal. When it gets to be too many water changes for you.

Melissa
06-04-2011, 12:39 AM
Exciting!!!!! Pictures are a must when you get your new babies! :) :)

evenstarms
06-04-2011, 12:54 AM
Oh yes, I will definitely send pics in when I get my juvies from Hans!! :) I will probably be getting them next month sometime. For now I am just here to learn as much as I can before I get them.

Sean Buehrle
06-04-2011, 01:12 AM
I wouldnt put those fish in any tank any fish has been in before without sterilizing it .Dont use any filters rock wood nets nothing.

Darrell Ward
06-04-2011, 03:24 AM
A dozen 3 inchers is too many for a 54 gal. corner tank. Go ahead and get your 125 up and running, so you'll be ready for those fish when the time comes. The last thing you want is to be battling water quality problems with a dozen new fish.

jarret8x
06-04-2011, 10:50 AM
A dozen 3 inchers is too many for a 54 gal. corner tank. Go ahead and get your 125 up and running, so you'll be ready for those fish when the time comes. The last thing you want is to be battling water quality problems with a dozen new fish.

Agreed I started my 3"in my 125 and they have done just fine in it

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk