PDA

View Full Version : Disinfecting driftwood with plants attached

JL15219
06-04-2011, 02:17 PM
Was thinking about buying a piece of driftwood with some anubias attached to it, I know how to disinfect driftwood and plants alone but not together....so was wondering what is the best way to disinfect the whole thing without having to remove the plants........

strawberryblonde
06-05-2011, 10:12 PM
I suppose you could use the standard bleach treatment for plants. I'd think it would disinfect the driftwood as well. You probably have the formula, but just in case, it's 1 part bleach to 19 parts water. I bleach my anubias for 1 full minutes with no harmful affects. After that I rinse well with plain running water, then submerge it in a small bowl of heavy dechlor water and let it sit for at least an hour. Then just a gentle rinse and it's ready for my tank.

JL15219
06-06-2011, 04:52 PM
I suppose you could use the standard bleach treatment for plants. I'd think it would disinfect the driftwood as well. You probably have the formula, but just in case, it's 1 part bleach to 19 parts water. I bleach my anubias for 1 full minutes with no harmful affects. After that I rinse well with plain running water, then submerge it in a small bowl of heavy dechlor water and let it sit for at least an hour. Then just a gentle rinse and it's ready for my tank.

Yeah I done that before with plants but kind of wanted to disinfect the whole thing without having to take it apart......hmmmm

Apistomaster
06-06-2011, 05:28 PM
If you have Anubias, Java Fern or java Moss I think the dip is fine. Finding the right size of container to perform the procedure seems like the only possibly hard part. Depends on how large the wood is.

edosan
06-19-2011, 02:51 AM
My choise: Potasium Permanganate

Len
06-19-2011, 09:30 PM
If it were just plants PP would be fine, but with driftwood, I don't think you would have much success. The permanganate demand would be too high and the water will turn that brown colour really quickly meaning the PP isn't effective anymore. For wood and plants go with the bleach.