PDA

View Full Version : Money needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discus-Hans
06-05-2011, 10:57 PM
Dear Discus friends,

I need your help. In the last 3 ~ 4 months after we went through the disaster in our fish house I came in contact with Drs. Roy Yanong and Thomas Waltzek from the University in Florida. They tested our Discus that had problems and helped me get through the ordeal.

In conversations they told me they are working on a project to determine the cause(s) of “Discus plague.” However, to finish these tests money is needed. As you all should know by now I'm not in the position to finance this as much as I would like to.

Now don't put your hope yet that they can come up with a cure, it's still far from that. Although they are working on publishing this work, they can offer a diagnostic test that can determine within 24 ~ 48 hours if a Discus has the plague.

Hans.

yim11
06-05-2011, 11:57 PM
Hans,

I know some people here in the metroplex that could really benefit from this research! :D:p;):)

Seriously though - how do we contribute?

Thanks,
-jim

Discus-Hans
06-06-2011, 12:18 AM
Hans,

I know some people here the metroplex that could really benefit from this research! :D:p;):)

Seriously though - how do we contribute?

Thanks,
-jim

Jim, I don't know yet, I hope they can set up a Paypal account or something.
I don't want any cash or Paypal to go trough me, if somebody wants to send a check, I can send it trough, but NEVER put it in my name, put it in University of Florida, with as note, let's say: Discus Plague and I will take care this check comes at the right place.

What really surprised me, this post has 35 hits and only your reaction. When I heard about this, I was blown away. This to me is as the invention of the wheel, look at the amount of Discus (and money) lost by people over the last 30 years?

The change to know after all these years to get the "prove" what it is............... to me it's like ????????

All the things that have been done for say Koi and for our Discus we still, after more as 30 years we are still discussing here, is it this, do that, maybe it's this..... the change to know what it is and God knows what we can do against/prevent it................ for me it's .................. ??????
35 hits.............. people do you know what's happening here?????? What changes we have here now we finally found some one with the possibilities to look in this for REAL?????

Hans

nc0gnet0
06-06-2011, 12:20 AM
Mutated version of KHV? How do we donate?

Rick

fattubwhale
06-06-2011, 12:46 AM
As a newbie to Discus I am learning something new everyday.... and if i can contribute to a cause to educate more people count me in!!!

vera
06-06-2011, 01:56 AM
Great idea Hans to donate to something that important thats been bothering all discus keepers for years , let us know how we can contribute i will be glad to help

Sean Buehrle
06-06-2011, 06:40 AM
Sheesh hans do you ever sleep?

You just get that info up and ill donate to that cause.

Discus Origins
06-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the post Hans, I"m right down the road from UF, I'm also an alumni......I will contact them directly and see what I can do to help out.

Discus-Hans
06-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the post Hans, I"m right down the road from UF, I'm also an alumni......I will contact them directly and see what I can do to help out.

Great Mark, I hope we don't let slip this change we have here,

Hans

DonMD
06-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Hans, are you saying that the disaster at your fishhouse was discussion plague? -Don

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

2wheelsx2
06-06-2011, 03:19 PM
I think a Paypal setup would be the easiest way to get people to contribute. Would certainly be important knowledge.

DonMD
06-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Hans, are you saying that the disaster at your fishhouse was discussion plague? -Don

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk Discus plague. Jeez, stupid smart phone! What I want to know is, did you get a definitive ID on what took out your fish? -Don

Dkarc@Aol.com
06-06-2011, 06:17 PM
If Roy and Debbie think they might be onto something in regards to the discus plague, then by all means EVERYONE should be on board. If there is anyone in this industry who can help, it would be those 2. I know this from my own personal experience working with them at UF TAL that they are the real deal.

Hans, I would say the simplest method would indeed be a PayPal account.

-Ryan

Discus-Hans
06-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Discus plague. Jeez, stupid smart phone! What I want to know is, did you get a definitive ID on what took out your fish? -Don

Don, at first what ever it was, it didn't took out my Discus, we took out the Discus to prevent spreading of what ever it was at that point.

Last week I got the confirmation, they found a virus in the Discus we send them before we euthanized the rest on March 13th. Where did it come from? No idea so far. None of Stendker's or Hudson's other customers have problems like this at all.

Is the virus the plague? maybe, probably. But that's why there is money needed, to do more tests on Discus infected with the "plague" from other people, to see if the same virus is there. Those virus test and the tests that need to be done before testing on the virus, are expensive.

Hans

nc0gnet0
06-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Viral, thats not good...not good at all.

Rick

Discus-Hans
06-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Viral, thats not good...not good at all.

Rick

Rick,

and because we expected something like that we euthanized them all, till now the only way to stop a virus,

Hans

decula
06-06-2011, 10:07 PM
It would be awesome to have UF work on this. For that matter, just having them as an available resource
would also be a really good thing.

rubinsteinnyc
06-06-2011, 10:19 PM
how much are we talking about?

yim11
06-07-2011, 01:10 AM
Here's a thought -

If every breeder or importer or seller of quality discus here on Simply pledges to contribute AT LEAST $100 I think we can raise some decent funds. A hundred bucks is just part of 1 sale for most, and the support will always be documented here on Simply.

If we help enough we can all say we were the ones that finished off the plague!

Who else is in!?

Rod
06-07-2011, 05:32 AM
Hans,

I'm really sorry to hear this, i did not know you have had a wipeout. As someone who has experienced this in the past and lost many many discus in the process, i know how you are feeling. I'll gladly contribute a few dollars to help the cause. Be looking out for your payment method.

Take care mate

Rod

Northwoods Discus
06-07-2011, 10:22 AM
Hey Hans
I think what generates a lot of cash is a fish raffle. I would be willing to donate some cash for buying a group of fish for the raffle. I don't expect you to just donate the fish but if a group of us pitch in we could BUY the fish from you to start a raffle. What do you think?
Bill

Discus-Hans
06-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Jim, good idea but this research will NOT finish off the plague, but it will tell us WHAT it is.
There is a lot of guessing going around and all kind of VooDoo.

If there will ever be something to finish the plague, I don't know, but at least we know what it is. This gives other smart people the change to try to find out what to do against it.

Thanks Rod, I know you've bine there, done that. The point is you and I know what to do if it happens and do the right thing, not always the easiest. Biggest problem in the this business is the criminals who perk them up and sell them, with only making this problem bigger.

Bill, I'm willing to donate Discus to raffle even in the position we are now, we just can't let this change slip. I'm trying to find out from Roy/Tom were to send donations. As soon as I know, I will let you guys know,

Hans

amyers
06-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Well Hans you know my story, I lost over 5k in fish that I collected in the last year or so, I cannot to go through that nightmare again, I was left with 4 after the battle, and thank god one was the one that my wife calls "Big Head", If he was gone I would have quit the hobby. Whatever you guys decide to do count me in.

Northwoods Discus
06-07-2011, 12:01 PM
If it is a viral issue medication will not be the answer. We fight viruses with vaccination. That would be really big dollars for a company to develop a vaccine and a way to distribute and administer it. May be a bigger job than just donations. A lot of exotic animal diseases do not have medications etc developed due to the economics. It cost millions of dollars to develop and approve through FDA. So if a return is not there a company will not pursue it. I still think that the research is good and if it can identify the cause it will help. The other way to deal with virus is to cull entire populations as Hans had to do. More knowledge is always helpful.
Bill

wiweiss
06-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Hans,
Let us know if a Paypal account is set up. I'll kick in. I wouldn't want anything to happen to the beautiful new Discus I bought from you this week. They are fine/eat like pigs.

Warren

discolicious
06-07-2011, 07:51 PM
I've never had any personal experience with "the plague", but I've read about it and it is really scary. Maybe we could do a silent auction type thing as well with proceeds going to the fund... I'm working on a wood carving now of a group of 5 blue face Heckels exploring a root. I'd donate it to the auction.

Tom

Discus-Hans
06-07-2011, 08:14 PM
I've never had any personal experience with "the plague", but I've read about it and it is really scary. Maybe we could do a silent auction type thing as well with proceeds going to the fund... I'm working on a wood carving now of a group of 5 blue face Heckels exploring a root. I'd donate it to the auction.

Tom

Thanks Tom, that's great.

I talked today with Tom (Univ. of Florida) he has a meet today with Roy and would figure out how and were we can do the donations. Hope to hear soon more,

Hans

Scribbles
06-08-2011, 04:15 AM
Hans, I am so sorry to hear about your fish being hit with this horrible disease. I will gladly donate to help the research project.

Chris

Apistomaster
06-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Although we spend a lot on Discus and everyone that is lost hurts, the difference between the fancy Koi industry scale adn the Discus trade is very large. When prize winning Koi sell for $10,000 each and that hobby is ancient compared to all but the gold fish trade that pretty much explains why not much research has been done on the Diseases of Discus. The "plague" effects the large breeders and importer far more often than it effect the hobbyists' fishes so there hasn't been as much time or money involved to get to the bottom of what causes it. It is pretty rare in the grand scheme of things. I have been keeping Discus since 1966 and I still haven't encountered the disease to the best of my knowledge and I don't think I am an isolated case.
I think mainly those who make their living selling Discus have the most experience with it. I'm not saying that learning what the cause is isn't important but in relative terms, the Discus trade is a only a subset of the aquarium hobby.

Discus-Hans
06-08-2011, 11:35 AM
Although we spend a lot on Discus and everyone that is lost hurts, the difference between the fancy Koi industry scale adn the Discus trade is very large. When prize winning Koi sell for $10,000 each and that hobby is ancient compared to all but the gold fish trade that pretty much explains why not much research has been done on the Diseases of Discus. The "plague" effects the large breeders and importer far more often than it effect the hobbyists' fishes so there hasn't been as much time or money involved to get to the bottom of what causes it. It is pretty rare in the grand scheme of things. I have been keeping Discus since 1966 and I still haven't encountered the disease to the best of my knowledge and I don't think I am an isolated case.
I think mainly those who make their living selling Discus have the most experience with it. I'm not saying that learning what the cause is isn't important but in relative terms, the Discus trade is a only a subset of the aquarium hobby.

And that my friend is true, so I hope we don't have to let slip the change away to find out at least what it is.

Now I don't agree with you who has the most experience with it, I think if you ask Bob, Rodrigo, etc (just to name a few) I think more hobbyist are hurt by this as you think,

Hans

Apistomaster
06-08-2011, 11:36 AM
Koi keeping and breeding is an ancient branch of ornamental fish keeping and some prize Koi sell for $20,000. Contrasted to Discus keeping, our hobby is a small subset of the aquarium hobby and the "plague" is primarily a problem for those in the commercial trade so there has been little impetus to learn what it is and whether it can be treated. I am not trying to diminish the problem but only trying to put it in some kind of perspective. I began keeping Discus in 1967 and have raised several thousands of them over the years but to the best of my knowledge I have never had to deal with it. I don't think my experience is atypical.
I think those in the trade who rely mainly on Discus sales should coordinate their financial assistance as a trade group since they stand to gain the most from more research into it.
Individual hobbyists have little skin in the game.

jpdevol
06-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Hans - I will gladly donate as soon as the payee info is determined. I have great respect for UFE; Dr. Yanong, Dr. Francis-Floyd, et al. and their ability and willingness to do research on tropical fish.

There has been a recent spat of a Virus (we believe) affecting many Angelfish populations and it is likely related. I will promote the research campaign to the "Angel Community". I know personally of at least 20cases, so many will be interested in helping.

Jeff

Discus-Hans
06-08-2011, 12:33 PM
I think those in the trade who rely mainly on Discus sales should coordinate their financial assistance as a trade group since they stand to gain the most from more research into it.

Larry, that didn't happen the last 30 years and I think it never will.

Now let me try to say this well, most of the problems with this "plague" will not come from people like the sponsors here who make their living (or part of it) from selling Discus.

Kenny, Mike, Rod, Dan, etc. know if this will ever happen to them what the only way out of this is, the way we went to prevent this from spreading out, because I think I can say ALL SPONSORS here are too much involved in this hobby to let it happen to our friends (and customers) We saw what happened to a sponsor who had other thought about this. (intentional or not, don't want to discuss this here)

I think a lot of the problems are coming from "dealers" outside this forum, I guarantee you
you won't get their noses all in the same direction.

Hans

Discus-Hans
06-08-2011, 12:37 PM
Hans - I will gladly donate as soon as the payee info is determined. I have great respect for UFE; Dr. Yanong, Dr. Francis-Floyd, et al. and their ability and willingness to do research on tropical fish.

There has been a recent spat of a Virus (we believe) affecting many Angelfish populations and it is likely related. I will promote the research campaign to the "Angel Community". I know personally of at least 20cases, so many will be interested in helping.

Jeff

Jeff, about the respect, same over here.

As far as I know the Angels seem to be much more complicated. I know there is done some pre research on Discus cases, I'm not sure about Angels,

Hans

jpdevol
06-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Yes, it is conjecture that the conditions are related though there are many similarities. The cases that I mention began to appear last October. I have encouraged many to submit effected fish to UFE or to NC State (Dr. Lewbart is also willing to research).

If progress is made, it is because you submitted the Discus and make it possible to learn more.

Discus-Hans
06-13-2011, 07:31 PM
Okay we got the information how to send money, I tried and it's easy.

> It looks like the University of Florida already does have an online mechanism in place, and UF does not like to use PayPal. This current online mechanism looks like it will also handle international donations.
>
> So follow this route:
>
> 1. Go to this website for the University of Florida Foundation donation site for Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences:
> https://www.uff.ufl.edu/onlinegiving/FundDetail.asp?FundCode=002063
>
> 2. In the comment box, put " Donation is for Dr. Roy Yanong, for discus disease research with Dr.Tom Waltzek."
>
> 3. Fill out the entire form.

Very easy took me a few seconds,

Hans

decula
06-13-2011, 08:25 PM
> Very easy took me a few seconds,
>
> Hans

Yup, just a 2 page form and a credit card number.

I'd like to think of it like insurance. If the dealers have to raise prices because of
diseases, we would all end up paying more anyway. As a community, this seems to be
a worthwhile project.

-dec

C3H6O3
06-13-2011, 09:14 PM
I'm in. I'll donate tonight.

discolicious
06-13-2011, 10:29 PM
Very easy...

Rod
06-13-2011, 10:39 PM
Done Hans.

Discus-Hans
06-13-2011, 10:58 PM
Done Hans.

THANKS guys, if every member would send $0.50 it can be done,

Hans

David Rose
06-14-2011, 07:34 AM
Hans,

You have my support!

Best of luck with your project! I'll look for updates.
David

hekdiscus
06-14-2011, 08:32 AM
Dear friends,
Also, I'm going to help this initiative, I know it is very important for our group.

Hudson
www.hek.com.br

jpdevol
06-14-2011, 01:54 PM
I have contributed $$$ :):):angel:

RebelThunder
06-15-2011, 12:50 PM
Only option for me to donate money is through paypal. if you can give me the email address I will send money within the week. :)

RebelThunder
06-15-2011, 01:37 PM
Okay we got the information how to send money, I tried and it's easy.

> It looks like the University of Florida already does have an online mechanism in place, and UF does not like to use PayPal. This current online mechanism looks like it will also handle international donations.
>
> So follow this route:
>
> 1. Go to this website for the University of Florida Foundation donation site for Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences:
> https://www.uff.ufl.edu/onlinegiving/FundDetail.asp?FundCode=002063
>
> 2. In the comment box, put " Donation is for Dr. Roy Yanong, for discus disease research with Dr.Tom Waltzek."
>
> 3. Fill out the entire form.

Very easy took me a few seconds,

Hans

Or I might try this. :)

Discus-Hans
06-17-2011, 10:25 PM
Or I might try this. :)

lol

jpdevol
06-25-2011, 02:15 AM
+1

Nandorfiu
07-24-2011, 10:13 AM
Dear Hans,
I saw your problem about the discus plague, had you succed with the cure ?
I am new on this web, I am from Budapest, my friend cures the plague in 100% .
Regards,
simon

Apistomaster
07-25-2011, 05:17 AM
Dear Hans,
I saw your problem about the discus plague, had you succed with the cure ?
I am new on this web, I am from Budapest, my friend cures the plague in 100% .
Regards,
simon

Unless and until a causative organism(s) are identified for the disease that affected Hans' fish and those of your friend in Budapest, there is no way of know whether the same organisms are involved.
I know that Hans' fish medicine chest of fish disease treating drugs is as complete as probably any other major Discus dealer in the world and that nothing worked, is a pretty good indication that you are assuming Hans' Discus had the same disease. This is very unlikely.

It would be a welcome contribution if you could name what your friend thinks is the disease causing organism and how and what he uses to treat it.
Because Hans carries both wild and Stendker Discus we are talking about entirely different fish. Wild Discus are like many other tropical animals. We haven't scratched the surface of what diseases are still out in the wild. And Domestic Discus are so far removed from their wild ancestors one might as well consider them to be distantly related cousins from any disease discussion. Think about how Ebola Virus and Marburg Virus suddenly emerged and killed hundreds of people before they were identified. As you are probably aware, we have very few effective anti-viral disease medications.
It would almost be a blessing if an infectious bacteria was discovered to be the cause since we still have some powerful antibiotics which still work. Nearly all the virulent viral diseases are ultimately brought under control only after a vaccine is developed; something that is not a high priority among NGO's nor GO health agencies. Certainly not a priority in aquaculture where prevention through avoiding cross contamination is the most useful practice and often the destruction of the affected fishes.
If your friend has a 100% success rate that indicates the likelihood that a very manageable bacterial or Protistan parasite is involved.
Please consider what I have written seriously. I have been attempting to learn how to manage fish diseases for over four decades and I know how difficult it is to deal with most of the seriously devastating fish diseases. There are literally only a handful of fish diseases which can be successfully treated and I know of none in which the success rate is close to 100%.

Nandorfiu
07-26-2011, 03:24 AM
My friend deals with discus imports.He brings fishes of Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand and somethimes wild fishes of south america.
He is educated tok vaterinar, he tested the medicine on more than 1000 fishes, which were imported from other counties , he done a statistics for all colour and origine, to know how is the morbidity, and how attitude for the medicine.
He just told me than pathogen is a flagelat, which can associate with a bacterium, when the cure isnt applied.
In his experiments he was helped by the professor of the University Veterinary od Budapest.

nc0gnet0
07-15-2012, 05:24 AM
Thought it a good time to bring this topic to the forefront again. First is the paypal donation link still active? Second, for those of you that were at NADA and attended The doctors presentation, could you be so kind to share with the rest of us what she had to say about the cause of the disease and any progress made? It is my understanding that it may indeed be a form or closely related virus that I thought it might be back on page 1 (KHV).

Rick

buddha1200
07-15-2012, 11:33 AM
Donation done. pretty easy,

krislewis3
07-15-2012, 11:48 AM
+1

BobDaniel
07-20-2012, 12:44 AM
I recall being affected by discus plauge in the late 1980's. I seem to recall using Oxylinic Acid to treat, kept the tanks clean no food and no bright lighting.. big water changes in 3 days. I used a strict 6 month quarantine after that episode and had no issues after. I kept all new fish in another part of the house.

yim11
07-20-2012, 12:58 AM
Anyone that was at Dr. Petty's speech at the NADA show knows that Univ Fl is getting closer to completing this research. NADA made a donation at the show and we hope to again in the future. I have personally donated and encourage everyone to consider giving what they can to further promote this research.

Thanks,
-jim

Chicago Discus
07-20-2012, 02:04 AM
Anyone that was at Dr. Petty's speech at the NADA show knows that Univ Fl is getting closer to completing this research. NADA made a donation at the show and we hope to again in the future. I have personally donated and encourage everyone to consider giving what they can to further promote this research.

Thanks,
-jim

how do i contact Dr. Petty I would like to help her out...Josie

Apistomaster
07-21-2012, 06:24 PM
For all the good intentions I will be absolutely flabbergasted if anything useful comes of this.

AquaWoman
01-08-2016, 07:46 AM
Does anyone know if this research ever happened? Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Second Hand Pat
01-08-2016, 09:05 AM
Does anyone know if this research ever happened? Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks.

This research is still ongoing. NADA makes a yearly donation to help fund this research. I am not aware of any publicized results however.
Pat

joenaustin04
03-16-2020, 09:14 PM
This research is still ongoing. NADA makes a yearly donation to help fund this research. I am not aware of any publicized results however.
Pat

Considering our current global "pandemic" climate, I thought I would follow up on this topic. What has been released of this research or any other academic research on the plague?