PDA

View Full Version : Wondering!! if "simplydiscus" ever had a

AngryBird
06-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Wondering!! If "simplydiscus" ever had a live chat room before I joined? I see a lot of activities in this forum and just thought it would be good to have a live chat room to discuss discus:). Just a thought!

brewmaster15
06-09-2011, 12:33 PM
Hi Prabhu,

We did have one and technically still do, but no one really used it...so I guess its history for now....If there was serious interest I think Ryan and I could be persuaded to try setting one up again...and actively managing it.

Sound off people if you want a chat and would actually use it.

thanks,
al

wendy9722
06-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Sounds good to me.

Skip
06-09-2011, 06:04 PM
i would probably use it!!

personally.. i would like some more SMILIcons i feel like i need to express myself some more :)

Dkarc@Aol.com
06-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Yes please!!

-Ryan

yim11
06-09-2011, 07:58 PM
We use this one:
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=235271&highlight=chatbox

It's supported and compatible w/this new version of VB.

Ryan
06-09-2011, 08:45 PM
I've had multiple chat rooms here over the years, but I always end up removing them because they never get used. We even used to plan chat times and eventually people quit showing up. Then there was the problem of things getting way off-topic, emotions ran high when we had controversial threads, people were flaming each other in chat, etc. It got ugly. It's one of the reasons we quit doing it for a while (I'm surprised Al doesn't remember this... maybe he blocked it out ;)).

Skip
06-09-2011, 09:50 PM
ok.. then MORE SMILY-icons please :) :) :)

brewmaster15
06-09-2011, 10:08 PM
emotions ran high when we had controversial threads, people were flaming each other in chat, etc. It got ugly. It's one of the reasons we quit doing it for a while (I'm surprised Al doesn't remember this... maybe he blocked it out ). Hmmm that must have been back when I was dealing with that forum induced ulcer? or maybe that was when I lost my hair?, Hmmm come to think of it...I Think it was when I almost quit the hobby and closed the forum because I was tired of adults acting like juveniles......Lol..yes I think you are right Ryan...I blocked it out. :) :)

-al

Eddie
06-10-2011, 05:26 PM
I say yay for the chat! It would be extremely helpful for those in need of help. Having to message back and forth on dealing with issues can be a little time consuming. I for one would be fully engaged with a person if they needed help. ;)

Eddie

roclement
06-10-2011, 08:09 PM
I miss the chat battles!!! Or the late night...anybody here??? It was fun and with better internet speeds now it would be fun!!! I hated waiting for my post to show on the chat screen!!! :)

Rodrigo

Second Hand Pat
06-10-2011, 08:39 PM
I see this as being very helpful with the disease threads.

AngryBird
06-10-2011, 09:31 PM
I understand that it could be a real challenge for mods to control the chatroom.

I've had multiple chat rooms here over the years, but I always end up removing them because they never get used. We even used to plan chat times and eventually people quit showing up. Then there was the problem of things getting way off-topic, emotions ran high when we had controversial threads, people were flaming each other in chat, etc. It got ugly. It's one of the reasons we quit doing it for a while (I'm surprised Al doesn't remember this... maybe he blocked it out ;)).

Sameen
06-11-2011, 06:14 PM
I would use it too, i could get questions answered by experts live.

Keith Perkins
06-11-2011, 08:03 PM
I can see where you would be very reluctant to start the chat back up Ryan and Al. Emotions run pretty high on some of the threads, I can just imagine what some of the chat sessions could be like.

mmorris
06-11-2011, 08:29 PM
Then there was the problem of things getting way off-topic, emotions ran high when we had controversial threads, people were flaming each other in chat, etc. It got ugly. It's one of the reasons we quit doing it for a while (I'm surprised Al doesn't remember this... maybe he blocked it out ;)).

You could send Larry in for a proper initiation. :whip:

:grin:

Second Hand Pat
06-11-2011, 10:24 PM
You could send Larry in for a proper initiation. :whip:

:grin:

Trial by fire. lol

Discus-n00b
06-11-2011, 10:58 PM
I'd love to see a chat....well one thats more used. I would definitely use it. Heres the link to the "old" one....it still works.

http://www.simplydiscus.com/chat/index.html

AngryBird
06-11-2011, 11:26 PM
Got "unable to connect to server" message.

I'd love to see a chat....well one thats more used. I would definitely use it. Heres the link to the "old" one....it still works.

http://www.simplydiscus.com/chat/index.html

Discus-n00b
06-11-2011, 11:28 PM
Its a bit "primitive" as Pat called it lol. You gotta make sure you are rubbing the sticks and stones right to be able to connect. :D :D LOL

AngryBird
06-12-2011, 12:11 AM
got connected and did have my first discus chat with Pat and Matt. yayyy

Second Hand Pat
06-12-2011, 12:14 AM
It was good chatting with both of you, Matt and prabhu. :)

2075turner
06-13-2011, 07:05 PM
I used to hang out in the chat room...very little traffic though. Tried that link a few posts up and ended up....no where. Hummm, where were you guys?

Discus-n00b
06-13-2011, 07:16 PM
That link/chat I posted above is a bit outdated and strange, sometimes it connects sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it takes forever. The computer asks if I want to block java or something and I click no and it lets me through.

nc0gnet0
06-13-2011, 10:37 PM
Why not start out in ernest with a pre-scheduled chat with a specific topic to be discussed?

Rick

Rod
06-14-2011, 04:38 AM
I can remember the chat room and whenever i visited it was mostly empty, and when there was someone there the topic was rarely discus related. Scheduled chats with a strict moderator or two(perhaps with the ability to enforce time outs) could work i think, and private chat rooms for off topic discussions for those who feel the need.

Before i joined this site i would visit another discus forum which had a chat room and enjoyed it very much. It did wonders for my typing skills and i owe my speed to that chat room...lol.

Sean Buehrle
06-14-2011, 06:42 AM
I remember the chat room here.

Rarely did the chats involve discus.

Maybe a set time for a chat room to be open, like sunday nights at 6pm or something like that, then closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thras
06-14-2011, 07:00 AM
Well if u wanted to chat with people there's a app/program for the Pc called palringo vary easy and simple to set up no managing just type in the name u want and put a few settings on if you guys would like I could set one or even two up to help the forum out I just want to mak sure its ok with forum owner that I use the name and icon before I go doing it

brewmaster15
06-14-2011, 02:12 PM
Well if u wanted to chat with people there's a app/program for the Pc called palringo vary easy and simple to set up no managing just type in the name u want and put a few settings on if you guys would like I could set one or even two up to help the forum out I just want to mak sure its ok with forum owner that I use the name and icon before I go doing it Hi Thras,
Thanks for the offer there, but Its best that if we have a Simplydiscus related Chat, that it occurs here...I do appreciate the offer though. :)

take care,
al

gwrace
07-05-2011, 11:24 AM
I could see value add for the disease and treatment section where a prompt response is always welcome.

raidendex
07-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Maybe embedding the chat into the main site would make it more attractive option. Kind of like this site does it.
http://spacecoastreefclub.com/vBulletin/forum.php

Discus-n00b
07-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Personally I have no problems discussing non discus items in a chat room because I discuss discus on the board. I'm happy either way. Would be easier to moderate having it embedded like that because everyone can see it and report items in the chat. However, in a chat like that its going to limit people to instant fish help instead of posting on the boards. Having to go to a standalone chat, or another page for the chat, it seems to me just like a place to relax, talk fish if you want, but other things as well.

discolicious
07-05-2011, 11:38 PM
I like the idea. I personally like the idea of "rooms" dedicated to different themes just like the forum. If people wanted to pop into the "general" room and announce they needed help with a disease, then they could be directed to go to that room, and others would join them there. It could be possible to be in several rooms at one time.

ericatdallas
07-07-2011, 10:39 AM
I like the fact the forum is archived and that people ten years from now can look up things and people now can look up things from ten years ago. I've been able to learn alot from the past threads and some of that could be lost.

I think the problem with chat rooms that might discourage the regulars is that new people will constantly come and ask the same tired questions in real-time.

I do see the benefits though, but if it's to keep the regulars, it'll probably be more off-topic discussion. I mean, I love discus, but I don't know if I can talk about it all the time. It's more enjoyable to come on here and jump into discussions I want to and ignore questions I don't want to keep answering.

In theory it's a good idea though. I don't know why anyone would have a problem with the feature being available (other than Al who actually has to implement it). So I don't know what the point of this post is :P

rickztahone
07-07-2011, 12:03 PM
I'm not sure how the chat works currently , but you know what would be awesome? If a person could go and open a new thread as chat. So that when we hit the new post button that particular chat thread title shows up and then people who know about the subject can jump in and help. This way there aren't people just sitting in a chat room without a subject. For all I know it works like this already lol