PDA

View Full Version : Lights?!?

zchauvin
06-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Anyone think these lights would be good or am I better off just getting something else?? I don't want to do overkill on my 75g but I want the sunrise/sunset effect and this guy packs 6 different cords for each light. It has ALOT of watts and the works. Check it out and tell me what you think? Trying to get some opinions before I choose.

http://www.aquatraders.com/Odyssea-48in-Metal-Halide-T5-Aquarium-Light-p/54248.htm

Darrell Ward
06-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Way too much power in every respect for your tank, plus it has reef tank bulbs. Your tank will look like a bluish purple UFO.

zchauvin
06-12-2011, 10:01 PM
Haha thanks darrell I figured this much. Also it seems very cheap...

Second Hand Pat
06-12-2011, 10:09 PM
Zach, maybe a T5/led combo. You do not need MH for this tank.

zchauvin
06-12-2011, 10:16 PM
Wouldn't happen to have a link?? I have a hood with two 40 w fluorescent in it already made but it seems really heavy. Also its a pain to unplug and reply in for wc and stuff. If I add a 48" strip will it not tak away from the leds? And I know this is wayyy off topic but instead of making new thread, on my 75g I have a 2213 and ecco pro for 80g. Should I ditch the 2213 and run just the ecco pro?? I find there's a lot of current compared to other peoples setups.

Second Hand Pat
06-12-2011, 10:27 PM
I'm looking and not finding a T5/LED combo except with six T5s and you do not need that. You could do a two light T5 with a separate LED fixture like the ecoxotic Stunner LED Strips. That is what I did on my 100 gallon and it's not too bad. The LEDs are just bright enough for the dusk/dawn effects. Also can get the white vs the blue. The white is more true for fresh water but the discus look cool under the blue. I am not familiar with the 2213 or ecco pro. Are they canister filters? If so you could direct the spray bars along the water surface to cut the flow in the tank itself.

zchauvin
06-12-2011, 10:31 PM
I'm looking and not finding a T5/LED combo except with six T5s and you do not need that. You could do a two light T5 with a separate LED fixture like the ecoxotic Stunner LED Strips. That is what I did on my 100 gallon and it's not too bad. The LEDs are just bright enough for the dusk/dawn effects. Also can get the white vs the blue. The white is more true for fresh water but the discus look cool under the blue. I am not familiar with the 2213 or ecco pro. Are they canister filters? If so you could direct the spray bars along the water surface to cut the flow in the tank itself.

Yes both are eheim canisters, one has spray bar and one just adjusting nozzle deal. I leave them right at surface yet if I drop food in it goes everywhere. As for the lights what do you think of single 48" actinic and like 70 or 150w mh. I'm really looking for sunrise effect, if I must ditch leds so be it.

Second Hand Pat
06-12-2011, 10:41 PM
You could try turning one of the canisters off during feeding to see how the current in the tank works. I would rather not advice on the canisters as I have not owned one in 15 years. I prefer a sump system.

Are you sure you want the blue effect? The actinic is primarily for a marine system. If you do MH the higher wattage will have a fan in the fixture and MHs generate lots of heat. Putting them into a canopy is not a great idea. Suspended is better. I am personally considering the 70W MH for the 230 due to the height (31 inches). I love the simmer effect of the MH but do not want the fans. They are noisy.

Discus Origins
06-12-2011, 11:07 PM
The actinic will bring out the green/blue of the discus but not much for red strains. If in the end you want to make sure your live plants get enough light then by all means MH will give you more than enough. But like Pat said, they can go in a canopy but make sure you have fans as they will generate a lot of heat. But on a side note, it'll help heat the tank ;)

Second Hand Pat
06-12-2011, 11:17 PM
Mark, what do you use over your wild tanks?

Discus Origins
06-12-2011, 11:34 PM
Pat I use power compacts (2x60W) on my 90s and just regular 40W flourescent bulbs over my 55s, 29s and 20s. In my 90 show tanks I have lillies and frogbit as cover and they require more light to flourish.

Darrell Ward
06-13-2011, 12:52 AM
Like I said 10 times before, all you need is one 70 watt MH with 6500K bulb, and add some moonlights if you want. Hang that sucker over the tank, and you're golden. In these poorly made pictures is a 240 gal, with some wild growouts (nothing fancy) Tank is 30" deep. It has two 70 watt MH hung 8" above the tank. As you can see, your tank would only need one. It the pictures it has light reflecting off the wall behind, but with a tank background you don't have that. These 70 watters don't really put out any more noticeable heat than the CF lights I use to use. The neatest thing, is the light dances all over the tank just like natural sunlight.

zchauvin
06-13-2011, 12:55 PM
I will do as you said darrell just was looking for a way to get blue and mh but if I can't then ok. And you say I can also put moonlight but will u be able to have moonlight on 24/7 and mh only when I want.

Darrell Ward
06-13-2011, 02:01 PM
LOL! Only trying to help. You could have both. Your moonlights would be totally separate from MH ballasts. You could run them anytime you wanted. Put them on timers to come on and off when you want. Simple appliance timers are great, and cheap. Way less than $10 at places like Walmart.

zchauvin
06-13-2011, 03:50 PM
Gotcha and I know your only trying to help just didnt want you feeling as if I was another mattsoccer not taking advise. If I put just a simple strip towards back of aquarium for actinic then mh hanging about 8-10" I should be set correct ?

Darrell Ward
06-13-2011, 04:18 PM
That would work.

zchauvin
06-13-2011, 08:11 PM
Ahh good, care to donate a 70w mh to a new discus friend lol :)

Darrell Ward
06-13-2011, 08:17 PM
Unfortunately, I don't have any I'm not using at the moment. :D While surfing around, I did find a clamp on light, I know you were looking for "easy". It comes with the wrong bulb, but you can get one from another supply house for $20 http://www.hellolights.com/hamilton-12inch-70w-hqi-tank-mount-pendant.aspx

zchauvin
06-13-2011, 08:20 PM
Geesh, alrightyy then Haha I suppose ill buy one that can be Hung and then sell the other two strips. Uhm I see the ones in your pic, are they different than the one in link you gave me?? I need a pretty one lol.

Darrell Ward
06-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Same lights. What? Mine ain't pretty? LOL! Did you see the link in post #18?

zchauvin
06-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Yeah but the ballast or whatever was just like a tin can Haha but I like the ones in your pics. And how about that clamp on, that would def work for me.

Darrell Ward
06-13-2011, 08:45 PM
Yeah, I prefer the ones I have because they are less expensive, and have a good quality German made ballast. By hanging them, they are always out of the way, and easy to adjust the height for coverage.

zchauvin
06-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Yeah I understand, ill probably buy one of them soon as I get my wood from pc1. Can you give me some up close pics of the 240 where the wood is coming down and stuff like how you have it attached , and possibly video of the lights effect on tank?? Sorry if I'm asking for a lot.

Darrell Ward
06-14-2011, 01:28 PM
Well, it's hard to get a picture at the top of the 240 tank, because the rim of the tank stands a little over 6' tall. Yeah, I have a tall stand. But, here's another tank I have with the wood set up the same way so you can see how it's attached. The wood is just screwed to oak strips, and the strips hung onto the tank bracing. The glass tops were modified with shorter pieces of glass to fit behind the strips...

zchauvin
06-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Great, thanks darrel. My glass cover goes front to back though, ill try to rig something up like that.