PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Soh confirmed for Atlanta NADA 2012 Discus Show

Chad Adams
06-23-2011, 10:46 PM
Well folks in the spirit we felt you all would be happy to know Andrew Soh is a confirmed speaker for the 2012 show!
Looks like he'll be talking on water quality & food/nutrition.
We were able to get Andrew's committment primarily with Eddie Ybarra's help. If you get a chance shoot him a PM to thank him.
Chad

Second Hand Pat
06-23-2011, 11:22 PM
Chad, that is super. Andrew has been helping me in my disease thread and he knows his stuff. Now a chance to meet him.

Elite Aquaria
06-23-2011, 11:28 PM
Great news. I would have prefered he share his artificial breeding tech, but food, nutrition and water is cool

seanyuki
06-24-2011, 12:39 AM
Hey Andrew......any chance in setting up a seminar for artificial breeding tech for discus?......a lot of us missed the chance during the Aquarama 2011......just a thought lah.

MostlyDiscus
06-24-2011, 07:16 AM
Well done Sir Eddie. Looking forward to this one. Big fan of Andrew Soh. Ed

Moon
06-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Great job Chad and Eddie. Looking forward to hearing Andrew.

Chad Adams
07-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Chad, that is super. Andrew has been helping me in my disease thread and he knows his stuff. Now a chance to meet him.

Thanks Pat. This is only the start of the awesome lineup we are currently working on but it's shaping up quite nicely.

Great news. I would have prefered he share his artificial breeding tech, but food, nutrition and water is cool

Thanks Dan. There's always the round table as well. I would also be surprised if Andrew didn't wain a little bit into that arena. :thumbsup:

Hey Andrew......any chance in setting up a seminar for artificial breeding tech for discus?......a lot of us missed the chance during the Aquarama 2011......just a thought lah.

Wonder what he drinks? :p

Well done Sir Eddie. Looking forward to this one. Big fan of Andrew Soh. Ed

It's going to be a good one Ed. Hope to see you there!

Great job Chad and Eddie. Looking forward to hearing Andrew.

Can't wait to see you again Joe. This is just the start!
Y'all won't want to miss this party in the South!

Chad

Discus-n00b
07-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Nice!! I'm excited. Hopefully I won't be working for these dates.

mmorris
07-01-2011, 10:09 PM
Excellent! I heard Andrew speak at a BIDKA show. He's interesting, informative and entertaining; he's a must-see! Well done Eddie for the confirmation.

LizStreithorst
07-01-2011, 10:32 PM
My heart yearns for this show. It will absolutely kill. The best Discus people all together in one place. How wonderful. I'll stay high from it for weeks. I can't wait. If I miss it it will be because I'm dead.

truc_tuyen
07-02-2011, 12:14 AM
you are killing us Chad

Chad Adams
07-02-2011, 10:03 AM
you are killing us Chad

That's funny buddy. By the way, you better be here! You owe me a drink!
Annnnndddd, if that's killing you, you'll for sure be dead by the time we get to the show!!
Lots more good stuff to go!
Chad

Andrew Soh
07-03-2011, 03:30 AM
Hey guys, I am also excited about coming to A.G. This will be my second trip to US for discus....and discus is definitely all over me...in and out.

I drink water....(#_#)......no alcohol.....

I am for any topic(s) about discus. We can have.... not only talks but discussion on any fish related topics...something in the line of brain-storming, so bring your questions along. At ACA Sacramento, I was given too short a time frame hence had to rush through the topic and I believe I had failed my audiences.

Importantly time is a factor and we have to work within the time-frame given by Chad and the organising team. Hope to be allocated more...more time.

Most scary of all {{{{(>_<)}}}}........I can keep on talking about discus (and fishes in general) non-stop.....that's the trouble...ha! ha! ha!......so somebody has to pull the brake whenever I get too engaged and lost in love...(Discus love).

As for the topic on "Artificial Raising Of Healthy Discus Fry", sorry guys....as I have made that a paid course because those who participated in Singapore and will be in Napoli Aquatic paid for that course and I don't wish to make them suckers.

Maybe Chad can email me and discuss more on this course, arrangements and make it avaliable as a paid course during NADA 2012 show.....hence maybe two lectures as one. The AROHDF takes up 4 hours minimum.....6 hours would be better.

Options are open and I am always accommodating. And for those will be attending, thank you for your support....and I guarantee you that you will not regret.

I am just thinking aloud....(^_^)

Thanks for the invitation and the welcoming gestures.

Andrew

Elite Aquaria
07-03-2011, 03:34 AM
Andrew,

I am so glad you will be one of the speakers. I would be willing to pay for the seminar on "Artificial Raising Of Healthy Discus Fry".

Chad Adams
07-03-2011, 09:34 AM
Maybe Chad can email me and discuss more on this course, arrangements and make it avaliable as a paid course during NADA 2012 show.....hence maybe two lectures as one. The AROHDF takes up 4 hours minimum.....6 hours would be better.

Thanks for the invitation and the welcoming gestures.

Andrew

Hey Andrew
Thanks for your comments. We are ecstatic to have you coming to Atlanta!
I will open the discussion with the NADA board. It may be we could offer the course late night if the attendees wouldn't mind
being up a little late? Would you need a classroom setting? Meaning with tables & such.
Thank you again for your willingness to be part of this historic event.
Chad

cmd4r
07-03-2011, 09:47 AM
I agree with Dan here - I'd be willing to pay to hear this Artificial Raising of Healthy Discus Fry talk. Would be great if the NADA organizers could help make this happen - I think after hours is a great idea, as suggested by Chad - so as not to take away from Andrews other talk potentially included in the NADA conference fees.
Andrew - per my emails to you - looking forward to seeing you there.
Chris

seanyuki
07-03-2011, 10:00 AM
I'm also in for Artificial Raising too and willing to pay to attend it.........hey Andrew you only drink water lol perhaps a nice pot of Chinese tea lah.

Larry Bugg
07-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Well guys, it just keeps getting better and better. We aren't through yet. We have a few more surprises up our sleeves. Stay tuned. You won't be dissappointed.

seanyuki
07-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Hey Larry.......I'll try to persuade April Ross to come along with me to the show as she really needs to have some fun & relax ........lol

Well guys, it just keeps getting better and better. We aren't through yet. We have a few more surprises up our sleeves. Stay tuned. You won't be dissappointed.

Andrew Soh
07-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Hello my friends,

I am grateful for the positive response. I will do my best and after discussing with Chad, he will let you know NADA discussion and the final arrangement. I would very much like to get it included in the main agenda.

Francis....yes...chinese tea will do....ha! ha! ha!

Regards,
Andrew

Andrew Soh
07-03-2011, 09:26 PM
By the way, I didn't know I was to talk about "water quality & food/nutrition". Though I think this is an interesting topic, I am afraid this may not be sufficient for the whole community of serious discus lovers.

I would prefer to touch on topics like "Creating designer's discus" or "Principles of Control and treatment of discus disease". What you guys talk?

Of course "Artificial raising of healthy/disease-free discus fry" can be another topic.

Regards,
Andrew

Chad Adams
07-03-2011, 10:36 PM
By the way, I didn't know I was to talk about "water quality & food/nutrition". Though I think this is an interesting topic, I am afraid this may not be sufficient for the whole community of serious discus lovers.
I would prefer to touch on topics like "Creating designer's discus" or "Principles of Control and treatment of discus disease". What you guys talk?
Of course "Artificial raising of healthy/disease-free discus fry" can be another topic.
Regards,
Andrew

Hey Andrew,
Sorry we hadn't kept you up to date on the weekend program, it's still a work in progress. We actually had a candidate for Diseases/Sickness Talk. Recent developments show that may not pan out.
We are still putting the program together and Eddie said you were flexible. Thank you. I'm just glad to have you coming & look forward to any topic you will be speaking on.
Chad

Andrew Soh
07-03-2011, 10:45 PM
ha ha ha.... Whatever, Chad. I can touch on any discus topic under the sun (^_^)

Andrew

truc_tuyen
07-04-2011, 12:01 AM
Andrew,

do you plain on bringing any thing such as food, med or/and book to the show. you know that there are people who just like me die for your stuffs

Truc

Andrew Soh
07-04-2011, 02:30 AM
check with David Ross.

Andrew Soh
07-04-2011, 05:25 AM
Sorry Truc,

I was using my phone to reply to your post. In fact, what I was trying to say is that the event is about a year later....quite a while indeed. So if you are keen to have them, contact David Ross...and can make a group order.....anytime.

Sure hope to see you there! I don't have any intent to sell anything during NADA 2012....nothing in mind as of now....

Regards,
Andrew

MostlyDiscus
07-13-2011, 11:57 AM
Andrew,

I am so glad you will be one of the speakers. I would be willing to pay for the seminar on "Artificial Raising Of Healthy Discus Fry".

Count me in as well Dan. That would be money well spent. Ed

truc_tuyen
07-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Count me in as well Dan. That would be money well spent. Ed

so Ed,

if later on that I want more fish, just give you a call right. I want to go to, let see, if my budget allow me to.

truc_tuyen
07-13-2011, 12:41 PM
BTW Andrew,

we all know that you have a simmilar talk in Malaysia last May, do you have any feed back from attendents. this will help to bring more people to the class

Truc

2075turner
07-13-2011, 06:03 PM
You can count me in for the class on artificial raising of healthy discus. I would also pay for the experience to learn from the best!!! 8-)

Andrew Soh
07-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Truc,

It was an event in Singapore and not Malaysia. The course cost S$500 (Singapore dollars). Had participants from Philippines, South Africa, Malaysia, Indonesia and India.

I am sure they were sceptical before hand but I would say that I an indeed grateful that they believe in me and my delivery. They may be deceived you know and maybe they might have kept their fingers crossed (^_^)....ha! ha! ha!...before the course..but definitely not after the course is over...

If I were to tell you that everyone of them said, after the course, that "I can't believe that artificial raising of fry is that simple and don't require regular water-change and still surviving and growing....... and really worth every single cent I paid", would you believe me....knowing that now it is coming from my mouth and not theirs.

Hope someone who had attended the course would come forward to endorse my statement.....

Anyway, I really appreciate those who will be paying and attending my course during NADA (inclusion depending on the NADA team's decision). My salute for trusting that your fee will not be paid for nothing but something that will improve your discus quality.

Take care and thanks,
Andrew

Chad Adams
07-13-2011, 09:58 PM
Anyway, I really appreciate those who will be paying and attending my course during NADA (inclusion depending on the NADA team's decision). My salute for trusting that your fee will not be paid for nothing but something that will improve your discus quality.
Take care and thanks,
Andrew

Andrew,
Looks like we are going to try to fit it in, just not sure where.
Chad

LizStreithorst
07-13-2011, 10:20 PM
I won't go to that one. Artificial is not my cup of tea. To me, the joy of breeding Discus is not in cranking them out. It is in seeing the parents care for their fry. Now, maybe if I had a truely to die for pair that I couldn't get enough fry from I might consider it. We mostly don't have that quality of fish here in the States. If we did, that method of rearing fry would be my last choice.

Other that that Andrew, I will hang on your every word.

scottthomas
07-13-2011, 10:40 PM
I won't go to that one. Artificial is not my cup of tea. To me, the joy of breeding Discus is not in cranking them out. It is in seeing the parents care for their fry. Now, maybe if I had a truely to die for pair that I couldn't get enough fry from I might consider it. We mostly don't have that quality of fish here in the States. If we did, that method of rearing fry would be my last choice.

Other that that Andrew, I will hang on your every word.

+1

Northstr31
07-13-2011, 11:51 PM
Count me in for the artificial class... I think the only way we will improve on the quality of the fish in the states is to be able to raise fish artificially and cull with more strict guidelines.
Anthony

yim11
07-13-2011, 11:59 PM
I've never artificially raised and don't know if I ever will but I would hate to pass on an opportunity to learn from a pro.

Andrew Soh
07-14-2011, 12:05 AM
You are absolutely right, Anthony.

The main feature in my course is to create healthy offspring and grow them up to become diseease-free stocks for future popagatio. Hence once this point has been crossed over, the future generations be them F1 or F5...can be bred naturally through artificial or with parents nursing them.

Therefore, this is a checkpoint.....and keep the disease in check.

Whenever new imported variants come into you hatchery, create offspring of the highest health quality and the rest could be natural.

That's the message I'm trying to disseminate.

Take care,
Andrew

truc_tuyen
07-14-2011, 11:00 AM
Andrew,

I sometime sell small fish to my local people. I often get the question: why Discus are expensive? My response was because they are hard breed, raise and maintance. Look like some of those worry will be gone if i can go to this class. I for sure will try my best to attend this one.

MostlyDiscus
07-14-2011, 01:35 PM
So how much would 500.00 Singapore translate to in US dollars? From your statements Andrew it would seem that the course would have much more than just how to raise fry. Ed

Andrew Soh
07-14-2011, 09:56 PM
Ed, in USD, it would be 400 (Unfortunately, the USD is dropping like hell. But don't worry, I am not asking for that amount....ha! ha! ha! It should be much cheaper....

During the course in Singapore, it covers a broader scope.....which including other important areas of discus culture.

You are right, Ed. The course doesn't just cover Artificial Raising of Discus Fry though my method is the easiest method and requires less tending.

Would like to say that importance is placed on producing HEALTHY discus stock during the AR process. We also have to bear in mind that artificial raising of discus fry in itself will not and never guarantee disease-free production.

From the point after the artificial raising HEALTHY DISCUS, future stocks/production should NEVER encounter infections like discus plague, Black disease, flagellate infestation, costia, etc. In other words, no more parasitic infection/infestation as long as live frshwater aquatic feed is not introduced.

In worse scenario where such aquatic feed is introduced, then of course parasites are reintroduced into the culture. But bear in mind that the few discus epidemics like discus plague, two weeks syndrome and the four weeks syndrome (which are very common in discus culture worldwide) if not accidentally carried by the freshwater aquatic feed will never be present.

Do you know that discus plague and other bacterial infections have been killing millions of discus every year worldwide (Of course more in Asia) and many discus enterprises have collapsed or closed down due to these epidemics. So what is more natural and ethical? Learning a method to save lives or allowing natural course which may take away more lives?

That's all I can say and I think is worth it!

Regards,
Andrew

Sean Buehrle
07-17-2011, 12:36 AM
I have always wondered if the artificial raising of fry can affect future generations.

Will they instinctivly know how to take care of their fry since they were never with a parent fish?

Could this be bred out of them in a few generations?

Has there been any discussion on this subject?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew Soh
07-17-2011, 09:36 PM
(^_^)...No, I don't think so.

I understand where you are coming from......just like what many were proven wrong when they initially believed that Jack's artificially raised discus will not secrete slime or look after their fry...

They were able to eventually when later filials put to task.

Andrew