PDA

View Full Version : Archery anyone...

brewmaster15
06-28-2011, 08:06 AM
Hi all,
Got my Son and Daughter beginner compound bows for archery for their birthdays...I'm not a pro with a bow but I can do a fair job on a target.... I used to make Bows and arrows as a kid.

Ethans got a real knack for it, Becky has a harder time..I think the bow is just a tad to much for her arms.

I've been shooting with their bows for the fun of it and Its really got my interest. I'm currently looking into some custom Handmade recurve bows for myself.:) My son wants to compete with me in this, so its a double win.. An activity he and I both like and one we can do together.

Anyone else into archery?

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=67258&d=1309262801

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=67259&d=1309262802

Northwoods Discus
06-28-2011, 08:15 AM
Hey Brew.
Archery is my thing too. Mathews bows. Used to shoot 4H with the kids. League shooting for me. Have taken many deer and a bear.

brewmaster15
06-28-2011, 08:24 AM
Hey Brew.
Archery is my thing too. Mathews bows. Used to shoot 4H with the kids. League shooting for me. Have taken many deer and a bear.

Nice! I just took a look at the site for Mathews Bows website.
I'd like to join a league at some point as well....Its just a great feeling drawing that arrow back and watching it hit its mark.

What bows are you using?
-al

Northwoods Discus
06-28-2011, 08:39 AM
I have a Mathews conquest light. It is about 5 years old and is still a tack driver. I went and shot the Z7 extreme and the Hoyt carbon element. Should not have done that. New bow or more discus, new bow or more discus? I was thinking of selling my Conquest and my local shop did not take trades over 5 years old. I have 2 of the Conquests. One is about 10 years old that my son shoots. They are a longer bow that did not have finger pinch when I used to shoot fingers in the league. Now I use a release. Instinictive recurve shooting is fun, lots and lots of practice.

Northwoods Discus
06-28-2011, 08:44 AM
I was just thinking about my above post. New bow or more discus. If you are interested in a compound bow and I get a new bow, perhaps discus for a bow trade?

brewmaster15
06-28-2011, 09:00 AM
Ah thats tempting :)...but I have my heart set on a recurve...some of them are just like works of art...amazing beautiful pieces of workmanship....Its like when take pictures...I have the more modern digital cameras, but I still love the art of the film....It take more effort to take a print or slide picture than digital....but its part of the hobby. I think if I get into Archery as I have photography, I will go the route of a handmade Recurve.

MSD
06-28-2011, 09:06 AM
Hey Brew, find a local Native American and make one yourself. Don't be the "Lazy American." LOL You are so earthy Al, very good Dad and I think you should have been a science teacher, never too late ya know. Oh, need another big bag of the cubed FBW's. Hit me with the paypal request and I'll hit ya back.

Northwoods Discus
06-28-2011, 09:08 AM
It is an art to shoot a recurve. I have done that as well and have one home made bow. To hunt though I feel I can do a better job with a clean shot with my compound. I shot in a league with Floyd Eccelestien ( spelling may be off) He is in the archery hall of fame and had the largest broadhead collection in the world He knew Fred Bear and had pics of him in his shop and hunted with him. Knowing Floyd was an experience. We had other famous instinctive archers visit the shop. I miss the times in the archery shop.
Bill

Northwoods Discus
06-28-2011, 09:27 AM
I just Googled Floyd Eccleston archery hall of fame. I can't believe it has been 20 years since Floyd's passing. 1918-1991 The league continued for another 4 or 5 years after with his son running the shop. It wasn't the same as hanging out with an archery legend but still fun.
Brew if you get a new bow post it so we can all see.
Bill

brewmaster15
06-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Hey Brew, find a local Native American and make one yourself. Don't be the "Lazy American." LOL You are so earthy Al, very good Dad and I think you should have been a science teacher, never too late ya know. . You never know Mark...I've though about it often. :) Earthy hmmm...yes I guess that fits. :)

Oh, need another big bag of the cubed FBW's. Hit me with the paypal request and I'll hit ya back will do Mark. Thanks.

-al

brewmaster15
06-28-2011, 09:35 AM
I just Googled Floyd Eccleston archery hall of fame. I can't believe it has been 20 years since Floyd's passing. 1918-1991 The league continued for another 4 or 5 years after with his son running the shop. It wasn't the same as hanging out with an archery legend but still fun.
Brew if you get a new bow post it so we can all see.
Bill
Sounds like you have some great memories there Bill. Getting to meet people like that when You are in a Hobby takes it to a new Level .

I'll post when I get my bow....Just need to temper my wants in a bow, with the reality of what they cost...Much like Discus I guess! :)

-al

Skip
06-28-2011, 10:00 AM
don't tell them about William Tell!!! :)

ps.. love the safety glasses!!

john nicholson.. could probably give you a few pointers.. :)

MSD
06-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Archery is so hot here on Long Island, there are indoor and outdoor range's everywhere and pleny of stocking dealers for all kinds of bow's. I've done it a few times, lots of fun and some of those bow's are a killer to break!

PS, payment has been made.

baarda
06-28-2011, 10:27 PM
pse bow for me.

kent1963
06-28-2011, 11:47 PM
I prefer the traditional bow as well. You can have one custom made at many places this one is close to home ( for me) www.mahaskacustombows.com

Sean Buehrle
06-29-2011, 12:36 AM
Heck yeah

I bowhunt whitetail and turkey here in iowa.
I have been shooting a bow for 35 years, my first was a fred bear recurve.

Im pretty crazy into deer season. come september, you cant count on me for nothing cause, all im interested in is seeing deer.

I have 3 deerstands in my back yard to practice and am in them at least 1 time a week year round.
Ive target shot but never really got the fever for it like hunting. I have a few bows now, my favorite for some reason is a low priced PSE stinger, its a great little bow. I plowed a 240 pound doe in november last year with it . The same morning i could have taken an enormous buck but i dont eat rutting bucks, they taste funky. Ive had all the expensive bows and wouldnt trade it for any of them.
As far as kids go, i cant think of a better sport than archery. Its easy to get them interested in it.

Its a great and fun sport, have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Discus-n00b
06-29-2011, 03:37 AM
More of a firearms guy myself, but I would love to own a bow. Much less restricting as to where it could be shot, quieter, and a lot of fun. I really like the old traditional style bows, kind of how I like my guns, not all modernized.

brewmaster15
07-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Hi Guys,
Well I got my bow... I did alot of reading and research and know what I would like...but decided to take smaller steps and picked up a used Recurve Bow at Ebay....I went with a one piece Browning Normad Stalker. Its 45#, 52 AMO. I'm not a tall person, only 5'7" so I went with a smaller recurve.

I won the auction for about $80 which I think was a great price for this bow... I read alot of reviews by people that love theirs...so I guess its an oldie but a goodie..Its primary use right now is backyard target practice and learning. I went with 45# as in my state thats the minimum for hunting should I ever go that route.

It arrived today...String is a tad worn and needs to be replaced but its really in great shape...I took a few practice shots with it in the yard and I really like it. What surprised me is how short a draw I have on it...I was guessing it would be about 28".....but after a few measures looks like I am closer to 27" if I use my chin as an anchor point..I'm not 100% sure if thats real yet...It may be my form thats off on that.

One thing thats painfully obvious...I need a good shooting glove..I shot 3 fingers on the string....1above, 2 below . Any suggestions for a good glove?

Also I need a good string...Its an older bow, and I've read I should stick with strings for it made from B-50? whatever that is... From I can tell if my bow is 52 AMO then the string I need is 52- 4" so 48" which is about what the string measure when I measure it...any suggestions there?

Thank guys,
heres the bow...

Second Hand Pat
07-05-2011, 01:18 PM
Al, I know nothing about bows but yours is a work of art. Hope you get many years of enjoyment from your new bow and maybe some deer or whatever you hunt.

kent1963
07-05-2011, 01:44 PM
Al find a good shop/range in your area I'm sure they can help with the string. I use a three finger glove I got at a local sporting goods store. As for your draw I use the corner of my mouth as an anchor point , but that really does not matter as long as your consistent.My draw is 31" and I'm about 5'10" but I have long arms for my size.

brewmaster15
07-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Al, I know nothing about bows but yours is a work of art. Hope you get many years of enjoyment from your new bow and maybe some deer or whatever you hunt.

Thanks Pat!

Al find a good shop/range in your area I'm sure they can help with the string. I use a three finger glove I got at a local sporting goods store. As for your draw I use the corner of my mouth as an anchor point , but that really does not matter as long as your consistent.My draw is 31" and I'm about 5'10" but I have long arms for my size.

Thanks kent, I'm looking for a good shop in my area....worst case I do have a cabelas nearby that I can go to, once I am a bit better learned ..I don't trust half the people that work at that store...so best go informed.

-al

John_Nicholson
07-07-2011, 05:39 PM
Great pics. Al as you know we are avid bow hunters. This last summer I bought my daughter a Mathew's reazen. I shot a Mathew's Drenlin which means her bow is now officially better than mine. A friend of mine gave my youngest daughter a small compound last year but I don't remember the name but she has struck fear in the hearts of every rabbit in Hunt county Texas...LOL.

-john

John_Nicholson
07-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Al don't get a glove get a finger tab. You will shoot better with a tab then you will with a glove.

-john

brewmaster15
07-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Al don't get a glove get a finger tab. You will shoot better with a tab then you will with a glove.

-johnDang John, I just ordered a glove yesterday.....no worries though, I'll pick up a finger tab to try as well.Thanks...

Looks like I got the bug bad... I started carving my own long bow today,,,LOl... Its rough still..and green but I strung it up with some parachute cord as a test and it doesn't shoot half bad as is :).,,,Its made of Iron wood and based on the draw of my recurve..I'm guessing its going to be close to 50-60 lbs when I am done and it has a proper bow string.

I located a new string for the recurve. that B-50 material is common...picked up a roll as well to string up this long bow .

-al

brewmaster15
07-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Great pics. Al as you know we are avid bow hunters. This last summer I bought my daughter a Mathew's reazen. I shot a Mathew's Drenlin which means her bow is now officially better than mine. A friend of mine gave my youngest daughter a small compound last year but I don't remember the name but she has struck fear in the hearts of every rabbit in Hunt county Texas...LOL.

-john Lol John, the kids always wind up with the better toys!

Second Hand Pat
07-07-2011, 10:11 PM

-john

Off topic a bit but John, got to see you encouraging your daughters to hunt. I have many happy memories hunting with my dad :)

John_Nicholson
07-08-2011, 09:02 AM
Al I will have to find it again but I know some good websites for building your own bows and I think I have a couple of articles on it also. If I can find them I will bring them to the ACA.

Thanks Pat. Here are a couple of pics of my middle daughter. The first was her first deer with a bow. I think she was 14. The second was a doe from last year. She had just turned 17. She had 6 does and 3 bucks within 20 yards of her. None of the bucks were older than 3 1/2 so she shot the largest doe.

-john

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/DiscusJohn/100_1599.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/DiscusJohn/Jamiesdoe.jpg

brewmaster15
07-08-2011, 09:22 AM
John,
With her guarding the Fishroom while you are the ACA, I think your fish will be very safe. :)

Don't rush on the articles..I'm in this the long haul and I won't be at the ACA this year...can't make it.

Thanks !
-al

brewmaster15
07-08-2011, 09:26 AM
I will say one thing from all the websites I have read...I wish Osage Orange grew locally here..its not that common in CT at all..but somewhere down the line I have got to make an Osage orange Bow or a pacific yew...The Bows I have seen are amazing!

-al

John_Nicholson
07-08-2011, 09:31 AM
Well keep practicing and if you get good you can make me one....LOL. I sold my last recurve to D'Wyatt and have missed every day since....LOL.

-john

zimmjeff
07-11-2011, 11:55 AM
those are some mean looking hunting dogs you have there

John_Nicholson
07-11-2011, 12:00 PM
Hey those little dogs a deer trailing machines. I use to be considered a very good tracker, but I have gotten lazy. Shot a deer, go back to the camp house, get the little dogs, drive back to where you made your shot, put the little dogs on the blood and walk behind them to your deer. As simple as that.

-john

shawnhu
10-28-2012, 05:12 AM

Al, just in case you've been too busy to shoot, I think you have some new competition to shoot with in the next meet buddy.