PDA

View Full Version : What media do you use for AquaClear filters and how do you set it up?

KEWX
06-28-2011, 07:34 PM
The standard instruction for inserting media in an AquaClear filter is to:
A) insert foam
B) insert carbon pack
C) insert ammonia remover pack or Bio-Max.

How do you set up your media in the AquaClear filters?

67279 67280

jimg
06-28-2011, 08:39 PM
Foam on the bottom bio media on top of that. no carbon. save it for removing meds.

Skip
06-28-2011, 08:46 PM
Foam on the bottom bio media on top of that. no carbon. save it for removing meds.

ditto

discuspaul
06-28-2011, 11:34 PM
You can actually do it any way, and whatever way, you want - whatever suits your purpose. The AC filter is absolutely the best HOB for varying/exchanging filter media with a minimum amount of time & bother.
I usually use a foam pad/sponge on the bottom, but layer that with Purigen (or carbon if you want to use that) then filter floss - 2-3 layers, topped by bio balls or something similar to weigh it down. It's the best of all worlds - super bio-filtration & clarifying/water polishing agents used to the best advantage. Couldn't ask for better diversity, with the least fuss, in any filter.

Bayou Discus
08-30-2011, 04:12 PM
I have been using just two sponges in mine which get rung out in old tank water during every water change.

AKRON AWOL
08-30-2011, 05:55 PM
i have the sponge topped by two bio media bags. works well for me :)

KEWX
08-30-2011, 06:10 PM
Thanks! How well does the Purigen work?

discuspaul
08-30-2011, 10:43 PM
In my experience, & as far as I'm concerned, Purigen works like magic ! Far better than carbon, IMO, cuz it doesn't remove (insofar as I can determine) beneficial elements too, in addition to odors, discolorations, meds, etc., while carbon does tend to remove matter you may not want removed. And the beauty of it is that it can be re-generated, or re-charged, multiple times, very easily, at no cost except for a little household bleach.
I've been fish-keeping for very many years, and I wouldn't be without Purigen.
I keep a planted discus tank, crystal-clear at all times, with regular Purigen use.
Try it, you'll see what I mean.

Darrell Ward
08-30-2011, 10:51 PM
The standard bio rings and sponge that come with the filter work fine. The carbon is not really needed in day to day use. I have used Purigen in the past as well. With proper tank maintance, you don't need it at all, and likely will not notice much difference with it's use.

jeff@zina.com
08-31-2011, 01:36 PM
I use filter floss in any HOB, sometimes carbon. Nothing else. If I use a sponge filter, it's an in-tank sponge, not in a HOB filter. Floss gets tossed at each water change, I don't use a HOB filter as a biological filter (obviously).

Jeff

Justice
09-05-2011, 03:40 AM
Scrubbies on the bottom, foam block in the middle, bio-rings on top.

walt3
09-09-2011, 02:06 PM
i do 2 foam blocks then 2 bio media bags on top.