PDA

View Full Version : Bristlenose Albino Plecos Dying

DiscusLoverJeff
06-29-2011, 10:36 AM
Hello friends,

I have (had) 8 BNAP in my 95 gallon planted discus tank for a year or so. They were introduced when I got my discus. All of a sudden, they have all died in the past 3 week except one. The discus are fine, the corys are fine. I have not done anything different to the tank, water, temp or lighting. The only thing different is when I started introducing dry ferts to the tank for the plants about a month ago.

My fert dosing is what was recommended by others and I am adding a little less just for the acclimation purposes of the new ferts. Do these plecos have a short life span?

Thank you all,

deepflyball
06-29-2011, 01:01 PM
I cant keep more than one in my 110. Every time i put others in he will kill them. Jerry

Vee
06-29-2011, 03:24 PM
I had a similar experience that I reported here (convulstions...DEATH!). I spoke to a knowledgeable LFS store manager where I bought them and he said that one of the reasons could be too much inbreeding.

Altum Nut
06-30-2011, 02:21 PM
Hello everyone,
First of all...your ABN plecos are Herbivores:Vegetable and plant matter, including algae.
They are not Carnivores...so if your feeding any meat product to your Discus, then what settles to the bottom gets consumed by your ABN and likely are dieing due too bloat.

...Ralph

DiscusLoverJeff
06-30-2011, 04:45 PM
I have been feeding them zucchini and green beans. But all of a sudden after a year?

Discusgeo2
07-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Jeff how about driftwood so their digestive tract breaks down the food. My breeding pairs are between 2-3 years old and going strong so I would so no to the short life span.

Elite Aquaria
07-07-2011, 10:11 PM
George what do you feed your pairs?