PDA

View Full Version : new dscus

jjeds5
06-29-2011, 02:20 PM
hi i am going to see someone that has discus for sale they are £5 each they are about 2 inch now. trying to add a picture of the adult, what does anybody think should i go and get half a dozen and will the young look like the adults or will they vary
thanks

Hsunami
06-29-2011, 02:28 PM
if this is ur first time into discus i say go ahead. Get to know the general care amount and sick discus care (If needed) and get some experience before buying 100+ fish. Rather learn from spending on 15 dollar fish than learning on 100+ dollar fish. i learned off of 15 dollar discus and i'm pretty comfortable in general discus care that i just recently bought from a sponsor here (bill) even more expensive fish.

half a dozen sounds right. depending on ur tank though otherwise pick up 8 or so. assuming you have a 55 gallon and they are 2 inchs. That way if you lose one you wil still have backups so it doesn't stress out the fish too badly. Minimum for them is 5-6.

jjeds5
06-29-2011, 03:47 PM
thanks had a couple of replies on other sites as well .going to get 8 i think and hope that as i have bred angels for a couple of years without major probs have a good chance of succsess fingers crossed

Hsunami
06-29-2011, 03:54 PM
Ah...good luck! Just go wiith what ever is comfortable to u and meets ur budget.

mmorris
07-01-2011, 04:38 PM
It isn't a lot of help to show one parent. If this turq was crossed with a pigeon blood, I wouldn't expect nice fry. Another concern I have is that this turq looks a bit stunted. I wonder if this breeder knows how to grow out discus. Ask him when the fry went free swimming. If the fry are two inches long, they should have gone free-swimming around two months ago. Are you in Great Britain? If so, is the seller on the BIDKA forum?

Hsunami
07-01-2011, 05:44 PM
That's not the parent... isn't that the fry. Way too small to be a parent...based on the picture.

RebelThunder
07-01-2011, 05:56 PM
looks hormoned or am ?I just seeing things? thanks

Hsunami
07-01-2011, 07:14 PM
That could be a possibility but maybe he's got weird lights hitting it. Shrugs. Can't tell unless much better picture.