PDA

View Full Version : Aquaclear filter change

Bud Smith
07-04-2011, 01:21 PM
Iam ready to install my aquaclear 110's and I agree with a previous thread of using the foam insert and bio max insert but I want to know how often do you change the foam and biomax inserts for your discus tank? the manufacturer recommends foam insert every two months and biomax insert every 3 months
Also one thing I really like about the aquaclear is that you can adjust the flow rate
I plan on reducing flow rate when I am feeding my discus and otherwise leaving it full flow - how do you do it?

Skip
07-04-2011, 01:24 PM
i just rinse the foam every few weeks :) i do not have prefilter so when i feed flake i turn it off.. the reducing flow doesn't really reduce that much.. other then that.. its full blast on my 75g

Bud Smith
07-04-2011, 01:31 PM
i just rinse the foam every few weeks :) i do not have prefilter so when i feed flake i turn it off.. the reducing flow doesn't really reduce that much.. other then that.. its full blast on my 75g

How many rinses do you get from one foam insert?

Skip
07-04-2011, 01:35 PM
i rinse the foam in a bucket of water i pulled out during water change..

discuspaul
07-04-2011, 01:36 PM
I use prefilters on my ACs - they greatly reduce the amount of waste material going directly into the filter media - so that rinsing is not neccessary for several weeks, and replacement not needed for several months.
Prefilters are a great help for water clarification as well, and allow you to feed without turning the filter off.

Skip
07-04-2011, 01:42 PM
i know.. i just haven't put one on.. the intake tube is a lot larger then my other AC.. guess i should get around to that LOL

Bud Smith
07-04-2011, 02:08 PM
I use prefilters on my ACs - they greatly reduce the amount of waste material going directly into the filter media - so that rinsing is not neccessary for several weeks, and replacement not needed for several months.
Prefilters are a great help for water clarification as well, and allow you to feed without turning the filter off.
+1 - prefilter - do you make your own and what do you use?

discuspaul
07-04-2011, 09:54 PM
Both - I buy the Fluval prefilters, and also cut my own to size using fine-meshed sponges.

Bud Smith
07-05-2011, 05:22 AM
Both - I buy the Fluval prefilters, and also cut my own to size using fine-meshed sponges.

Thanks for answering my post and the info