PDA

View Full Version : Hello! Discus novice seeking advice

Goldenvxr
07-04-2011, 04:08 PM
First, I just want to say hi to everyone! Everyone seems so nice here, so I am happy to join the group.

I recently added six discus to my 75 gallon tank, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on my setup or tips in general:
75 gallon with 305 Fluval filter
2 heaters (temp between 86-88)
I feed frozen blood worms, and I plan to change water ever 3 weeks.
My ph is about 6.5.

What do you guys think? I've had the filter for few years now, so i was wondering if the water quality will be pure enough? Do I need to get one of those reverse osmosis filters? (I hope not!) Thanks to all in advance!
Rafat

Darrell Ward
07-04-2011, 04:18 PM
I would increase water changes to 50% twice weekly, and upgrade the diet to include other things besides just bloodworms. Changing water every three weeks is not going to work. You don't seem to need RO, and provided you don't have a lot of other fish in the tank, or high nitrates, or heavy metals out of the tap, you seem to be set.

Bud Smith
07-04-2011, 04:45 PM
First, I just want to say hi to everyone! Everyone seems so nice here, so I am happy to join the group.

I recently added six discus to my 75 gallon tank, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on my setup or tips in general:
75 gallon with 305 Fluval filter
2 heaters (temp between 86-88)
I feed frozen blood worms, and I plan to change water ever 3 weeks.
My ph is about 6.5.

What do you guys think? I've had the filter for few years now, so i was wondering if the water quality will be pure enough? Do I need to get one of those reverse osmosis filters? (I hope not!) Thanks to all in advance!
Rafat

What size are your discus?

Skip
07-04-2011, 06:10 PM
golden.. i think you need to do more reading in here this forum, if you are this new.. there is just too much info to cram in here :)... up the water changes and get better quality food.. welcome to SD

discuspaul
07-04-2011, 09:28 PM
I would increase water changes to 50% twice weekly, and upgrade the diet to include other things besides just bloodworms. Changing water every three weeks is not going to work. You don't seem to need RO, and provided you don't have a lot of other fish in the tank, or high nitrates, or heavy metals out of the tap, you seem to be set.

Go with Darrell's advice - I agree !!

ScottFish
07-09-2011, 08:56 PM
What size are your discus?

ie., How old are your Discus?

DonMD
07-10-2011, 08:21 AM

+1. I started out with the Fluval 305 in a 60 gallon, but have since graduated to Eheim filters in a 125 gallon. Definitely improve the food, and increase the w/c's, otherwise you'll be inviting stress, which leads to disease.

ShinShin
07-10-2011, 04:25 PM
I would increase water changes, drop the temp to 82-84F, vary the diet and be sure you have a prefilter on your uptake. What else is in the tank (fish)?

Mat

gerrard00
07-11-2011, 09:40 AM
I think you are going to be truly surprised by how much poop accumulates in your tank in even three days.