PDA

View Full Version : new layout, new tank mates

zchauvin
07-07-2011, 12:39 AM
So as some of you know ill be redoing tank once home and changing up fish. I'm going to have a few l333 plecos and 4 green tefe in qt. Right now i have 7 neon tetras and 6 lemon tetras which will be removed. 7 cory cats that will be gone. I will have 6 discus Nd 2 German rams. I'm looking for a group of schooling fish just to add a little something. When I had lemon tetras my rams would school with them and I didn't like that. I was thinking of rumy nose or cardinals but idk there water preferences. If you guys have any suggestions I would like to hear them. Thanks

Darrell Ward
07-07-2011, 01:03 AM
Rummy Noses or Cards do fine in Discus tanks. Probably the most popular fish to keep with Discus.

zchauvin
07-07-2011, 09:30 AM
Which would you think went better in my ph and what not? Any difference?

ZX10R
07-07-2011, 10:15 AM
I have rummy and cardinals in my tank with my discus and my PH is around 7.8

Darrell Ward
07-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Which would you think went better in my ph and what not? Any difference?

It doesn't really matter, they do fine in the same water conditions as discus.

zchauvin
07-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Ok good deal that's what my ph will be around also. Do you guys have any suggestions on other fish? I just don't like that my rams would school with the lemon tetra. I can't get rid of rams and I don't like the neons. Reminds me of petsmart too much. What else looks good with wilds without cramming too many fish? I was looking at a few sevrums snookn has also but I'm not too sure.

Darrell Ward
07-07-2011, 02:52 PM
Severums often get too rowdy for discus. Maybe a few wild cories, it's up to you really. I generally like a discus tank to be a discus tank, with not much of anything else.

zchauvin
07-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Yeah that's what I'm trying to make my way to. Maybe just add one or two more rams and call it quits? Kinda liking the idea, I know its personal opinion but what you think?

Darrell Ward
07-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Sounds good to me. Rams are cool. More colorful than most of the others.

zchauvin
07-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Yeah and they are doing great so I'd hate to bring them back to lfs...