PDA

View Full Version : solenoid selection help?

ericatdallas
07-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Okay, hopefully I'm not being too annoying about all my plumbing questions. Thanks for everyone who have been patient in answering them. I feel like a spammer right now :P

Anyway, I've been planning out my water changing system and I'm looking into the solenoid valves now.

Through googling and reading, I've come to the conclusion I can use the following:

1) Old washing machine solenoid
2) A sprinkler system solenoid
3) A generic or brand name one from eBay

#1 has the highest appeal as I'm sure these are manufactured with 'safety' in mind and have proven track record for being reliable.

#2 Just mentioning this, but I've pretty much ruled it out. It's cheap, has 3/4" threads, but they're a little more expensive than #1 and #2. I mention them just to catch people who plan to suggest it, but also b/c I'm open to using them if there is compelling reason that makes it superior to one or two.

#3) Obviously this is everything else. I found a cheap one on eBay but I worry about reliability and leaking. It's spec'ed the way I need it though.
http://cgi.ebay.com/3-4-Nylon-Solenoid-Valve-NPSM-Thread-Control-Water-12V-/110610967406?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c0ed6b6e

I've been reading up on how other people do it, but I'm a little paranoid, so I have a concept in my head. I haven't quite figure out how I'll control them but I'll probably have it connected to a microcontroller.

As a semi-auto-WC, I plan to have it remote or switch controlled (the latter first probably) with float valves. Off will be the overriding input regardless of source (i.e. I won't be able to force 'on' if the float valves indicate FULL). Also, float valves indicating empty can't override if the switch is off. Will use dual float valves as well.

Water makes me uneasy. It's probably b/c I have very little experience with it and the equipment used to handle it.

While I'm at it. I also stated to look for alternatives (inexpensive) to float valves. I would like to have redundancy, hence two float valves, but I would prefer to use two different technologies (float valve and some other sensor/detection method). At the very least, I plan to use two different manufacturer float valves. Again, I'm paranoid :)

I'm still slightly anxious about the 'Y' I have on the faucet. I'm sure with time I'll learn to trust it.

DonMD
07-10-2011, 03:01 PM
Eric,

The best advice I can give you about solenoids and other fish-related plumbing parts is to call John at Jehmco. They supply large fish houses, but John always helps out us hobbyists, and I see they're co-sponsoring the ACA convention here in Silver Spring in a couple weeks. I called John with questions on how to install a float valve with a solenoid on my water storage barrel. He recommended some parts he didn't have on his web page, sent them up, and they've worked problem-free for many years now.

Google Jehmco, or search the posts here on Simply. You'll be impressed. Just my 2 cents. -Don

Darrell Ward
07-10-2011, 03:59 PM
I agree. I also got some high quality brass solenoid valves and parts from John at JEHMCO once for a project. He's very knowledgeable about such things.

ericatdallas
07-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Yeah, they look like they have good products and alot of people recommend them, but they're a bit pricey for me. I'm cheap... but I guess you have to pay for reliability and dependability. I might just go with the washing machine valves. They're about $11-15 each on eBay (new). I'm going to see if I can find a local supply of used ones first though.

ericatdallas
07-10-2011, 07:37 PM
Well that was dumb... I went ahead and bought the washing machine solenoid but now I realized I really don't want to work with 120VAC and would prefer to work with 12VDC (for safety reasons).

Oh well... I guess now I have to plan out my control circuit :(

Anyone use these for their setups?

jimg
07-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Try to pm vince c he told me about solenoids he uses

ericatdallas
07-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Well I already have the solenoids. I'll post my project when it's done. If you don't hear from me for a while, assume the worst :P

mrblah00
12-27-2011, 09:03 PM
So? How did it turn out?

ericatdallas
12-27-2011, 09:45 PM
I haven't done it yet. my original plan was too ambitious... so I slowed down and I'm probably going to wait until I move in a few years before I implement it. I'm doing some minor stuff that i know I can easily upgrade to a different system later. With three kids under 2 years of age, it's hard to do 'pet' projects when I'm home.