PDA

View Full Version : Hiding Discus

birdyman23
07-17-2011, 06:47 PM
I have 5 2.5 inch discus in my 55 gallon tank. One of them which is smaller than the rest is hiding in a log and has not come out much in fact it has been hiding almost all day today. The other 4 are doing perfectly fine and are settling into the tank and eating. Should I remove the log to encourage the one hiding to join the group? I have had the one hiding about a week longer that the others.

Skip
07-17-2011, 06:57 PM
He is bottom of pecking order..

ialtalal
07-20-2011, 08:21 PM
I have the one my discus that is doing the same

Darrell Ward
07-20-2011, 10:42 PM
He is bottom of pecking order..

Yes. That fish will be your "runt".

walan20
07-26-2011, 08:33 AM
Sigh...

aalbina
07-27-2011, 12:52 PM
Yes. That fish will be your "runt".

Just a quick clarification: it was pointed out to me by a very reputable breeder that a "runt" is a genetically disadvantaged fish. So no matter how great the environment and care - it will be genetically predisposed to be smaller than the rest of its siblings. Generally a runt is small all over - so the eye to body ratio is usually pretty good - but the overall size is not. A fish, like the one the original poster (op) described, if it is,in fact, environmentally disadvantaged in terms of aggression, poor water, feeding etc. - that would be considered a "stunted" fish. They are, of course, not mutually exclusive - but for a beginner it's important to distinguish the terms that they might hear about discus. A fish on it's way to being stunted - may be able to be moved or the tank divided and cared for in a way that allows it to grow to its full potential. A "runt" however, will not grow to the desired size regardless of what care it receives.

Adam

Darrell Ward
07-28-2011, 06:02 PM
Just a quick clarification: it was pointed out to me by a very reputable breeder that a "runt" is a genetically disadvantaged fish. So no matter how great the environment and care - it will be genetically predisposed to be smaller than the rest of its siblings. Generally a runt is small all over - so the eye to body ratio is usually pretty good - but the overall size is not. A fish, like the one the original poster (op) described, if it is,in fact, environmentally disadvantaged in terms of aggression, poor water, feeding etc. - that would be considered a "stunted" fish. They are, of course, not mutually exclusive - but for a beginner it's important to distinguish the terms that they might hear about discus. A fish on it's way to being stunted - may be able to be moved or the tank divided and cared for in a way that allows it to grow to its full potential. A "runt" however, will not grow to the desired size regardless of what care it receives.

Adam

OK, Professor Adam. :) It doesn't matter what you call it, a fish at the bottom of the pecking order will remain much smaller than the rest, and never really amount to much. :p