PDA

View Full Version : One big discus with 4 smaller ones

Trashcore
07-18-2011, 07:28 PM
There is a blue diamond discus i love great eater he is about 5" and I currently have 1 blue diamond that's 3.5" one brilliant blue that's 4 and 2 pigeon bloods about 2.75-3" would the 5 incher be ok. He needs a home. Just worried he will tear up my current stock. 55 gallon tank btw.

strawberryblonde
07-18-2011, 07:47 PM
They get along fairly well no matter what size from what I've seen. The only problem might be that he'll eat a lot more so you'd have to make sure your pigeon bloods get enough to eat.

If you decide to buy him be sure to QT him before you put him in the main tank. Watch for any signs of disease and once you're sure he's healthy, add a small amount of the main tank water to his QT tank and watch again for any signs of disease.

Trashcore
07-18-2011, 07:53 PM
He has been in qt and healing for about 4 months at the petshop my buddy works at.

Trashcore
07-18-2011, 08:02 PM
The pet shop is 1.4 miles away and our water is from the same source

strawberryblonde
07-18-2011, 08:02 PM
If he was sick or injured, it's good that they've put him in QT to allow him to recover, but for you, the biggest concern is that he might still have a pathogen that will infect your other fish. Conversely, if he's been sick, his immune system is depressed which would make him vulnerable to any pathogens in your current tank.

If it was me, I'd still QT him at home for awhile to let him acclimate, watch for any illnesses and then do the tank water exchange to make sure he won't get sick in the main tank. That's just me, I'm pretty cautious with my fish since I pay good money for them and don't want to lose any.

Trashcore
07-18-2011, 08:07 PM
O I understand completely why one would qt. He has been treated alot. And only has a little cloudy eye fro
Running into something it was worse and has got better. I've been watching him for awhile. I'm more worried about size.... I skipped qt with all my fish and they are doing great. And Since I only have 1 tank and an empty 10 gallon I don't know what I would do.. I would medicate my display tank though.

strawberryblonde
07-18-2011, 08:22 PM
Welp, size isn't a big issue since you don't have any true juvies in your main tank. The biggest isn't always the bossy one. In my tank my flachen has been the alpha since day one and he currently is bossing around two fish who are an inch larger than him. (he also bosses around 6 smaller fish...he's an equal opportunity aggressor)

I can only tell you that I'd be really worried about introducing him to my tank, if it was me. If you go that route it's your choice.

Trashcore
07-18-2011, 08:24 PM
You would though if u qted him first? Even though he has been treated?

strawberryblonde
07-18-2011, 08:51 PM
It's not the fact that he's already been QT'd at the LFS. It's good that they took the time to care for him properly, but that doesn't mean that he won't either get sick from something your current fish have, or won't pass along something that they didn't treat him for.

There's a lot of stress involved in adding a new fish to a tank. It can sometimes make healthy fish get sick, even more so for a fish who has had a problem and been recuperating for awhile now.

The QT at home would be to make sure that his immune system is strong enough to handle the move to the main tank. Every fish carries its own set of pathogens that it is resistant to when it's in a healthy state. But just because that fish resistant, it doesn't mean that another fish who lives with it will be resistant.

Hopefully that explanation makes more sense. =)

Trashcore
07-18-2011, 09:28 PM
I 100 percent agree. And thanks for the added explanation. I got him and skipped the qt only because I didn't qt my other ones. In a sense I'm qt all my fish. In the future I will qt. I'm getting a 29 for qt Tomorow. Thanks for ur help.