PDA

View Full Version : Prime vs safe...... Again

Sean Buehrle
07-21-2011, 07:15 PM
Ok so im really wanting to try out the seachem safe product but the more i read about it the less attractive it becomes.

But that could just be because of my water here in iowa.

I read on a few different websites that both prime and safe remove heavy metals to a certain degree which doesnt really interest me.

But what does interest me is that prime does remove or make nitrate null while safe does not.

That might not be a factor for some people but here in farm country we have high nitrates in the water.

Why would the prime remove it but not the safe? Kinda sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yim11
07-21-2011, 07:22 PM
You haven't read seachems site for safe have you? You should....

Safe™ detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, allowing the biofilter to more efficiently remove them.

seanyuki
07-21-2011, 08:15 PM
Safe™ is the complete and concentrated dry conditioner for both fresh and salt water. Safe™ removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia. Safe™ converts ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tank’s biofilter. Safe™ may be used during tank cycling to alleviate ammonia/nitrite toxicity. Safe™ detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, allowing the biofilter to more efficiently remove them. Safe™ is non-acidic and will not impact pH. Safe™ will not overactivate skimmers. Use at start-up and whenever adding or replacing water.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Safe.html

hth

YSS
07-21-2011, 08:16 PM
I always thought safe was powder version of prime.

Bill63SG
07-21-2011, 08:29 PM
I always thought safe was powder version of prime.

Thats how it was explained to me.

Sean Buehrle
07-21-2011, 08:55 PM
Ahh yeah further research has revealed that the original container for safe was misleading not only did it not say anything about nitrates but it also was misleading on the amount of chlorine and chloramines it would remove.
The original container was replaced with correct info.

I must have been reading old posts.

Im looking at seachems website and it says a 50 gram bottle will treat 10000 gallons of water with 1ppm chloramine.

So that would mean in comparison a

250 ml bottle of prime treats 2500 gallons at about 10 bucks a bottle.

A 50 gram package of safe treats 10000 gallons at roughly the same price?

Is that chlorine or chloramines Or both? How could that be true if its just the powder form, is it consentrated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ericatdallas
07-21-2011, 10:20 PM
The liquid formula just has something to stabilize it. You should treat for 2ppm IMHO b/c your water quality report is probably going to show an average concentration of 2ppm. That means sometimes more, sometimes less,... I typically treat for at least 4 ppm though (the max allowable).

If you use it, I would recommend buying it in quantities greater than 1kg. It'll be cheaper that way.

I actually scoop it into an old bottle, fill it with water, then apply to tank.