PDA

View Full Version : Discus I got from Keith!

bnbfishin
07-24-2011, 10:21 PM
I'm going to appologize in advance for the sub par quailty of the pictures.

Here are some pics of the discus I picked up from Keith a couple of weeks ago. 3 are blue diamonds and 2 are blue snakeskins. Can't wait to see how the colors come out as they mature. They aclimated very nicely and are tearing at my fingertips now whenever I feed them. They took a few days to get used to the new home and tankmates but all was well within a couple days. Hopefully more of you will post pics of the discus you have received from Keith ;)

Gillmann
07-24-2011, 10:24 PM
Looking good!

bobsedins
07-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Nice pick up.

Keith Perkins
07-26-2011, 11:54 PM
Bill - they're looking quite happy in their new digs and unless I'm mistaken they look bluer than when they left here. I imagine they like having the driftwood for structure in the tank, a bit of an upgrade to the sterile tank with the white background they left. Glad you're enjoying them, and post back some more pics once in a while.

Keith

Second Hand Pat
07-27-2011, 12:00 AM
Keith raises nice fish. Enjoy.

bnbfishin
07-27-2011, 10:37 PM
I most certainly will and yes they are more blue now :) Their eyes got nice and red as well. I think between the decor and the black background it helped bring it out as opposed to how white will often wash out colors. I will post pics about every 4 weeks so it should be easy to tell how they are growing. They eat very well and it's awesome to see how full their bellies get while inhaling food :D

bnbfishin
12-21-2011, 01:13 AM
Man have I been busy. I totally forgot about SD and keeping this thread updated :( Sorry Keith!
The discus are growing nicely and the colors are changing a little. The largest had very clear SS marking as a baby. Now it is between 4 and 5" tip to tip and is the boss of the tank. The SS markings have moved into the fins and the body is almost solid blue now. The 3 BD's are doing what they should for color and the smallest of the group which was a BSS is doing pretty much the same as the big boy and the SS marking are moving into the fins olny with the body staying almost completely blue. Couldn't be happier with them. Thanks again Keith!
I'm also going to do more catching up with your other threads. I see you have another pair with a killer red female ;)

Keith Perkins
12-22-2011, 12:33 AM
Thanks for the update, glad things are going well. I almost called you a week or so ago to see how things were going etc. Maybe next time I get the thought I'll follow through. One of mine from that batch has started laying eggs, so keep your eyes peeled for pairing activity.

bnbfishin
12-22-2011, 12:04 PM
That's just what I need!!! :D

Thanks for the update, glad things are going well. I almost called you a week or so ago to see how things were going etc. Maybe next time I get the thought I'll follow through. One of mine from that batch has started laying eggs, so keep your eyes peeled for pairing activity.

bnbfishin
02-25-2012, 05:19 PM
Its funny with fish sometimes. One will jump up in size and the others seem to stay the same and then suddenly they all make a mad dash to catch up to the leader :D They are still doing awesome. I will say that I think I need to invest in a motorized meat grinder as the novelty of hand grinding the beefheart and shrinp is gone!

Also wanted to let ya know that I'll be working down in Monroe for about 3 weeks starting March 5th. If you have some free time would like to drop in and chat.

Keith Perkins
02-25-2012, 07:38 PM
Check back like the week before and let me see what's on the agenda. I'm usually free except for the T nights, or most of them.

Glad to hear the fish are doing so well, any spawning activity? Can you get any closer shots, like individual fish?

Jennie
02-25-2012, 09:31 PM
nice!

bnbfishin
02-25-2012, 11:59 PM
I'll try to get some closer shots of them. I tried before but they never focus very well or the flash kills it. I'll give it a go though! No spawning activity. I am wondering if there is too much water flow for them to concentrate on that? Now that they are bigger/stronger I leave the filters on full bore. I know they are generally a slack water fish but they really seem to enjoy it. Then again that's from this human's viewpoint not that of a fish.

Thanks Jennie!

btw you should hear the way they smack the food as it floats to the bottom. Almost sounds like you're snapping your fingers.

bnbfishin
06-30-2012, 02:33 PM
Looks like someone got laid while I was out of town working!! Came home to find this in my 55 gallong community tank. If you recall it was the largest BD and largest SS of the 5 juvies that I got from you. They are pretty good parents so far. Only a couple of white eggs so far after two days. We'll see if anything come sof it. I'm sure yuo'll notice the hole in the fish in the pic. Not sure what it was that did it but she never slwed down or showed any signs of sickness. It just slowly occured and has become this so far. Not sure what if anything will ever happen with it but it's been that way for months. Yes you can see clearly right through her.

Keith Perkins
06-30-2012, 02:41 PM
Cool on the spawn and good luck with them. Wish you had given me a yell sooner about the hole problem, I would have suggested treating it with iodine . You probably could still do it, and that might not be a bad idea as fry could make the problem worse. Let me know if you want to give it a try. The one time I tried it it was very effective, quick, easy, and cheap.