PDA

View Full Version : Plants for sand

henpecked
07-31-2011, 03:58 PM
I am switching my 75g planted lo-tech tank from gravel to PFS Mainly because the waste stays on top for easier cleaning.. I was wondering if I have to do anything besides the root tabs and Excel that I normally use. I have 108W lights, so I use lo-light, low maintenance plants:

Anubias
Crypt Wendii
Jungle Val
Water Sprite

Can I just replant these over to sand and use root tabs and excel? I always wondred how the roots would get through the sand.:confused:

Chunks
07-31-2011, 07:19 PM
I'm keen to know the answer to this question as well...

prolude006
07-31-2011, 10:14 PM
Yes switch to the sand. Then put your plants in like you would gravel. Then push the tabs in near the roots. Then go easy with the excel. =) next realize you will get a film and some crappy algae on the sand, it happens no matter what, dont worry it will clear in a bit. The plants will grow better roots in sand versus gravel, just there are zero nutrients in the sand this way so root tabs are a must with root feeders.

Good luck
have fun
David

discuspaul
07-31-2011, 10:54 PM
The roots get through the sand very well - no problem.
If you use root tab ferts and some liquids (or other) like you are dosing, they will do very well.
But really, almost any plants will do well in it. I have the same set-up, do the same thing as you're doing - and I have to prune my Swords, Hygros, Aponogeton, Lotus - etc. on almost a weekly basis.

discuspaul
07-31-2011, 11:05 PM
BTW - as evidence, here's some pics of my tank quite a few months ago when it was fairly newly set-up -

Then I'm adding more pics of the tank a few months later - sorry the second set doesn't have full tank shots so you can see the real difference in the plant growth, but hopefully you'll get the picture:

# 1 link : http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/FTS-Osaka260

# 2 link: http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/2tanks

henpecked
08-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Eased my mind quite a bit. Beautiful tank you have there, I will be stealing some of your ideas for my set up;)

DiscusOnly
08-01-2011, 10:24 AM
I am switching my 75g planted lo-tech tank from gravel to PFS Mainly because the waste stays on top for easier cleaning.. I was wondering if I have to do anything besides the root tabs and Excel that I normally use. I have 108W lights, so I use lo-light, low maintenance plants:

Anubias
Crypt Wendii
Jungle Val
Water Sprite

Can I just replant these over to sand and use root tabs and excel? I always wondred how the roots would get through the sand.:confused:

I use sand in my plannted tank and no problem with plants establishing roots. It is a bit tricky to keep them down at first but not a problem after a while. I would not use Excel if you have val. My experience is that they will burn them. I use home made root tabs on my tank in the beginning but I don't put anything in the tank now. I run higher with my lights but uses CO2. My crypts are all over the place even with the sand.

Van

mlov1022
08-01-2011, 05:19 PM
My crypts are all over the place even with the sand.
VanVan let me know if you want to sell some crypts.