PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Red & Cherry Red Shrimp

Skip
07-31-2011, 05:10 PM
can you have these two live together without interbreeding?

they are two different species.. so it should be no problem?

is this true?

TURQ64
07-31-2011, 05:22 PM
They shouldn't be even close together..Basically, there's shrimp that needa brackish period, different temps, and their young are born larval, and need to develop (red cherry shrimp)..Then, there's the Neocardinia types that give birth to minitature's of themselves..(Crystal Red's)...check out planetinverts.com BTW, I'll start shipping this week, the PO just hasn't gotten us the right boxes...Gary

Skip
07-31-2011, 05:28 PM
gary.. you read my mind :)

DerekFF
08-13-2011, 12:20 AM
red cherry shrimps are neocaridina species and are born as mini's of their parents. The only poplular shrimps that i know of that need the brackish waster due to a larval stage is the amano shrimp

DerekFF
08-13-2011, 12:24 AM
and they wont/cant interbreed

Skip
12-14-2011, 12:08 PM
so far so good! i am enjoying my tank.. Cherrys breed like RATS!!

ericatdallas
12-14-2011, 01:07 PM
How are the Crystal Reds doing? I'm going to pick some up but I have hard water. I am getting 'A' grade to start but seriously debating whether or not to just suck it up and get some 'S' or higher grades.... whatever that really means.

Skip
12-14-2011, 01:14 PM
well.. i did see one that was died last nite.. :(

but i am going to start switching over to softwater when i do water changes.. see if that encourages CRS into some breeding.. RCS have no problem.. lol

Cambik
12-14-2011, 11:48 PM
I have pretty hard water and have only crystal reds I got from Gary. Three of them are currently carrying eggs.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

TURQ64
12-15-2011, 12:02 AM
How are the Crystal Reds doing? I'm going to pick some up but I have hard water. I am getting 'A' grade to start but seriously debating whether or not to just suck it up and get some 'S' or higher grades.... whatever that really means.

http://planetinverts.com/crystal%20red%20shrimp%20grading%20guide.html

I just looked at a pair of BKK's for $2600.00 with no shipping guarantee...

Skip
12-15-2011, 12:31 AM

WAY MORE EXPENSIVE per inch then discus.. LOL

ericatdallas
12-15-2011, 02:41 AM

WAY MORE EXPENSIVE per inch then discus.. LOL

Whoa... I thought I saw some for $200 each somewhere when I was looking for shrimp to buy, but I'm sure there is a 'grading' issue I don't know about.

I guess the 'pairing' makes them worth more, but I don't think shrimp are very discriminating when it comes to breeding. So any female/male will do?

zimmjeff
12-15-2011, 08:07 AM
I've seen little ones from my batch that I got from Turk64. Tank is looking great and very little work.

Skip
12-15-2011, 08:09 AM
I've seen little ones from my batch that I got from Turk64. Tank is looking great and very little work.

that why i really like them! :)

TURQ64
12-15-2011, 08:27 AM
Whoa... I thought I saw some for $200 each somewhere when I was looking for shrimp to buy, but I'm sure there is a 'grading' issue I don't know about.

I guess the 'pairing' makes them worth more, but I don't think shrimp are very discriminating when it comes to breeding. So any female/male will do?

Pretty much...That price wasn't because of a pair, it was 1300 each, you choose sex...look on AB..the guy has many for monstrous prices...

Skip
12-15-2011, 08:33 AM
what kind of shipping is that from Hong Kong for $65.. i would be leary..

but if you want to get 50 shrimp for $130.. it sure is tempting :)

ericatdallas
12-15-2011, 03:53 PM
I still am trying to figure out how someone in hong kong can offer free shipping for something I bought for a $2. Seriously... I bought this heat sealer piece of junk on eBay for $2 (it didn't work) and it had free shipping. I don't think I can ship it for $2. I tried to ship an invitation envelope with a small raised object and USPS worker said it would cost $1.73 to ship b/c it was Parcel post.

Although I suspect it has something to do with our international memorandum of agreements with other postal systems. I think it's reciprocity. You ship our stuff at no additional cost to your citizens and we'll ship your crap to ours. Not sure how that works completely though, but I think it has something to do with the stamp/letter rate but not the package/parcel rate.

Which means sellers in asia using subsidized postal services are leveraging our bankrupt postal system to make money.

Skip
12-15-2011, 03:57 PM
Which means sellers in asia using subsidized postal services are leveraging our bankrupt postal system to make money.

soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.. that means we can get the shrimp cheap..

ericatdallas
12-15-2011, 04:26 PM
No, I think it means we're literally mailing our money to China :)

If you live closer, I would split an order of shrimp with you. I almost managed to snag 100 blue pearls for $100 from a US seller, but at the time, I didn't want to spend that much on shrimp (not realzing what a good deal it was), but I ended up spending more on far fewer shrimp.

Skip
12-15-2011, 04:41 PM
well, maybe we should buy some different strains.. get them settled in to our tanks.. and as the numbers increase.. we can ship to each other :)

what kind of shrimp should be looking for :)

ericatdallas
12-15-2011, 04:52 PM
well, maybe we should buy some different strains.. get them settled in to our tanks.. and as the numbers increase.. we can ship to each other :)

what kind of shrimp should be looking for :)

I really like the tiger shrimp. What's rarer than that but not as rare as the black shrimp? I can't afford black shrimp though. Nor justify it.

ericatdallas
12-15-2011, 04:53 PM
I also want to do Hawaiian Volcano Shrimp but they are pretty common but harder to breed in home aquarium.

Skip
12-15-2011, 04:54 PM
I also want to do Hawaiian Volcano Shrimp but they are pretty common but harder to breed in home aquarium.

those are SALTwater yes?

ericatdallas
12-15-2011, 04:55 PM
We could join the bandwagon that's trying to get new variants of Sulawesi Cardinal Shrimps :)

We could trade patterns and color variations we find to establish new strain.

ericatdallas
12-15-2011, 04:56 PM
those are SALTwater yes?

Yeah, they can live in freshwater to saltwater but prefer inbetween brackish water. Part of the reason I'm considering getting some is to get a hang of breeding them for when I buy seahorses (or my marine tank) as feeders. Although, from what I've read, they take a long time to get out of their larval stage AND they don't breed as often.

Skip
12-15-2011, 04:57 PM
We could join the bandwagon that's trying to get new variants of Sulawesi Cardinal Shrimps :)

We could trade patterns and color variations we find to establish new strain.

just looking at them.. need to do more reading up on them.. what forum are you going to read up on this stuff?

ericatdallas
12-15-2011, 05:02 PM
just looking at them.. need to do more reading up on them.. what forum are you going to read up on this stuff?

Just Googling whatever I can find and read the top links and browse through some of the discussions. I usually do a search per topic (i.e. shrimp, breeding, tank type, etc).

The ones I end up on the most are also some sellers. I don't normally take their advice, but they have good pics and it gives me a baseline of what to expect to pay.

www.planetinverts.com
www.arizonainverts.com
www.seinverts.com
www.wikipedia.org

The planted aquarium forums also have a decent amount of information.

Alpha Pro Breeders
01-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Hey Eric
I see your from Ohio, if you ever want to see a lot of shrimp in person just let me know. We just moved to a large commercial facility in Kent, Ohio (just down the road from Kent State University if your familiar with that area.). I'm the owner of Alpha Pro Breeders and Planet Inverts. Were thinking about using part of our building for discus, that is why were here checking this great site.
Ron

Skip
01-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Ron.. Yep.. Been to ur site! Good stuff!

ericatdallas
01-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Hey Eric
I see your from Ohio, if you ever want to see a lot of shrimp in person just let me know. We just moved to a large commercial facility in Kent, Ohio (just down the road from Kent State University if your familiar with that area.). I'm the owner of Alpha Pro Breeders and Planet Inverts. Were thinking about using part of our building for discus, that is why were here checking this great site.
Ron

Wow, I wish you lived closer (I live in Dayton). My mother used to live in Cleveland but has moved back to Dallas so I never really have to make my way up there. It's good to see another Ohio supplier though. I usually like to order from someone close by b/c shipping is usually pretty fast :) I might have to order some plants from you once I get my tanks setup.

Yeah, that's a great site you have there. It was a good starting place for me when I was learning about shrimp.

That would be great if we had another Ohio Discus breeder as well.

Skip
01-03-2012, 01:08 PM
man.. i need to get my shrimp rack going.. :)

ericatdallas
01-03-2012, 01:20 PM
man.. i need to get my shrimp rack going.. :)

I think I'm done acquiring shrimp.

How do you clean your tanks skip? Right now, each of my tanks have a Maxijet 1200 with spongefilter over intake. I then just turn the pump on and it drains the water. It's getting kind of expensive buying a pump per each tank :P

I might have to start doing it with a cup and doing smaller changes.

Skip
01-03-2012, 01:25 PM
well, out of my nano tank.. i have an airstone in the tank and just let it drain like 3 gallons.. then just fill it up again.. thats about all :) i do it maybe ever couple of weeks..

ericatdallas
01-03-2012, 01:26 PM
how do you drain it? Is that a feature of the nano tank?

Skip
01-03-2012, 01:28 PM
how do you drain it? Is that a feature of the nano tank?

sorry.. air tube with airstone.. and use gravity to siphon out into bucket..

ericatdallas
01-03-2012, 01:34 PM

ahh... I guess the Discus keeper in me has a hard time not doing WC more frequently :P

I do at least two 20% WC a week on shrimp tanks. Sometimes I do one on accident (I turn on the wrong pump and realize it too late while wondering why my Discus tank isn't draining).

Skip
01-03-2012, 01:49 PM
ometimes I do one on accident (I turn on the wrong pump and realize it too late while wondering why my Discus tank isn't draining).

:crazy::idea::shocked2::thumbsup:

Cambik
01-03-2012, 01:56 PM

This is how I am doing it as well. But I change about 20% a week. Sometimes I push it out to about every 10 days... So far its worked well for me. I also have the Fluval Nano Shrimp tank. Oh right now a have a couple of the babies that went into the filter that are cleaning it up.

Alpha Pro Breeders
01-08-2012, 02:43 PM
Thanks Warlock

Alpha Pro Breeders
01-08-2012, 02:48 PM
Well if you ever make a road trip my way look me up, Fedex ground or priority shipping would probably be next day since your just a few hours away.
Wow, I wish you lived closer (I live in Dayton). My mother used to live in Cleveland but has moved back to Dallas so I never really have to make my way up there. It's good to see another Ohio supplier though. I usually like to order from someone close by b/c shipping is usually pretty fast :) I might have to order some plants from you once I get my tanks setup.

Yeah, that's a great site you have there. It was a good starting place for me when I was learning about shrimp.

That would be great if we had another Ohio Discus breeder as well.

Supatank
10-25-2012, 03:49 AM
Yes they can

mshen11
04-02-2013, 02:35 PM
if one starts out with equal numbers, how long will it take before the RCS overwhelms the CRS?

Skip
04-02-2013, 03:52 PM
if one starts out with equal numbers, how long will it take before the RCS overwhelms the CRS?

Well my crs shrimp never really breed.. but cherrys went crazy.. any of that group.. yellows. Blues. White. Reds..

But they are different species then crs.. so they do not cross breed

DiscusOnly
04-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Well my crs shrimp never really breed.. but cherrys went crazy.. any of that group.. yellows. Blues. White. Reds..

But they are different species then crs.. so they do not cross breed

They also thrive on different water parameters. My experience is that if you put them both in the same tank, you will have better result with breeding on one or the other depending on the water parameters.