PDA

View Full Version : Water Movement

DiscusLoverJeff
08-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Hello friends,

I was wondering at what point is there too much water movement in a discus/planted tank?

My tank is a 95 gallon wave with an AquaClear 110 on one end and my Fluval 405 on the other. Both are running better now since I rebuilt them but for some reason I feel there may not be enough water movement because the algae is building again on the driftwood and on parts of the glass.

With 70% water changes once per week and lowering the time on the lights I figured it would have been better on the algae. I read a few threads on water movement courtesy of Google but most don't specify the fish that are in the tanks. Knowing discus prefer calmer waters, I figure adding a powerhead or two might help but I don't want to startle the discus.

Thanks,

TURQ64
08-05-2011, 12:03 PM
As for water movement, as long as there's an escape pocket somewhere, Discus seem fine with moderate current IMO..I have two tanks in particular with over a thousand gph, and the fish aren't phased..That said, in a thousand gallons (roughly) of tank water in my house, I only have algae in the tank with shrimp, and I plan that..I'd be more curious about eliminating the source of the algae...Nutrients and maybe too little WC's..again, JMO..Gary

Stag
08-08-2011, 04:27 PM
I have two Magnum 350s on my 55 gallon. They are both running micron polishers so that tends to slow down the GPH but that still is alot of water movement.

I have the inlets/outlets for each unit together. They are hanging over the back glass about 6inches from each side with the outlets pointed towards the side glass. This allows for a lot of follow within my tank without all the water being disturbed.

Be mindful it does promote uneven pressures in the tank and bad water turn over entropy.

Larry Bugg
08-08-2011, 04:50 PM
How much light and how long are they on? I agree with Gary. While flow can create a issue with algae it is more likey that you have a inbalance with Light, Co2 and Nutrients. There is a delicate balance with these three that has to be established in a planted tank to keep it algae free.