PDA

View Full Version : Substrate recommendation

les2011
08-10-2011, 10:03 AM
I wanted to know what's a good substrate to use other than gravel and the black sand that I always seem to see for a planted discus community set up?

Skip
08-10-2011, 10:05 AM
what do you want substrate for? then we can tell you, what is best for your needs

les2011
08-10-2011, 11:41 AM
For the planted part of the tank.

Harriett
08-10-2011, 02:19 PM
The only thing I use any more for planted tanks is pool / spa silica sand. It is a smaller denser particle that comes in shades of tan and buff and white--, it doesn't float around, it's easy to clean with a python and doesn't tend to get sucked up if you pay attention. It costs maybe $6-8 for 50 pounds. Plants root beautifully in it. It is very clean to work with, MUCH cleaner than play sand, so little work to set up the tank initially. It is inert, so if you are going hi tech you will need to do root feedings or water column feedings of nutrients depending on what you plant. You need to stir up the sand regularly [weekly python cleaning is quite sufficient] to prevent anaerobic spots from forming pockets and souring the tank . Debris tends to sit on top of it and is easy to vacuum up. I have a colony of Mayasian trumpet snails in my sand substrate tanks and thery areate the substrate--they move around alot though they stay in the sand and don't come out on the glass, etc. If you don't overfeed the tank, the snail population wil not get out of hand. There are lots of posts about pool filter sand--do a search here.
Best regards,
Harriett

jimg
08-10-2011, 06:59 PM
I liked using flourite

discuspaul
08-11-2011, 09:00 PM
The only thing I use any more for planted tanks is pool / spa silica sand. It is a smaller denser particle that comes in shades of tan and buff and white--, it doesn't float around, it's easy to clean with a python and doesn't tend to get sucked up if you pay attention. It costs maybe $6-8 for 50 pounds. Plants root beautifully in it. It is very clean to work with, MUCH cleaner than play sand, so little work to set up the tank initially. It is inert, so if you are going hi tech you will need to do root feedings or water column feedings of nutrients depending on what you plant. You need to stir up the sand regularly [weekly python cleaning is quite sufficient] to prevent anaerobic spots from forming pockets and souring the tank . Debris tends to sit on top of it and is easy to vacuum up. I have a colony of Mayasian trumpet snails in my sand substrate tanks and thery areate the substrate--they move around alot though they stay in the sand and don't come out on the glass, etc. If you don't overfeed the tank, the snail population wil not get out of hand. There are lots of posts about pool filter sand--do a search here.
Best regards,
Harriett

Fully agree with Harriet's recommendation. Try white silica pool filter sand - you'll love it !

rostick555
08-12-2011, 03:51 AM
I have aquariumplants.com gravel and it works Grrreat! :) Amazon color looks awesome!