PDA

View Full Version : 90% water change

Mikey
08-12-2011, 01:16 AM
How do you guys do 90% water change? Do you leave the discus in the tank or take them out and put them in a different tank?

Larry Bugg
08-12-2011, 07:45 AM
You can do a 100% water change and leave them in the tank. I do 90% on juvies and pairs with no problems. They just lay on their side and wait for the refill. In my opinion, moving them from the tank would be more harmful.

Skip
08-12-2011, 08:20 AM
if you do 90%, there is till 10% in there..

i prefer to do no more then 60%.. i go str8 from tap.. i have noticed they tolerate the wc better when i do that..

BE CAREFUL!! put your heater on the bottom of tank, when you WC.. if you are pullling alot of water, you don't want your heater exposed.. at least not for very long.. in my humble opinion! :)

Cambik
08-12-2011, 08:47 AM
I do 90% on juvies and pairs with no problems. They just lay on their side and wait for the refill. In my opinion, moving them from the tank would be more harmful.

I was doing the same when I was doing 90%. I now do about 70% in the larger tank.

Mikey
08-12-2011, 09:55 AM
Thanks I just wasn't sure if I could leave the discus in low water like that but now I know. I most likely wont be doing 90% water change though it's just that some people suggested it and I didn't know whether to leave them or not.

Larry Bugg
08-12-2011, 10:04 AM
If you are growing out juvies big water changes is one of the best things you can do to maximize growth and keep them healthy. Skip brings up a good point about the heater. Why do I do a 90% change and not a 100% change............................I have a bad habit of forgeting to unplug the heater. The smell of the plastic suction cup melting isn't pleasant and replacing the heaters is expensive.

laborelch
08-12-2011, 10:50 AM
The smell of the plastic suction cup melting isn't pleasant and replacing the heaters is expensive.

+1

my routine: unplug heater. empty tank. add prime. fill tank. plug in heater. wonder if heater was plugged in.... check if heater was plugged in. plug in heater if not plugged in yet.
:)