PDA

View Full Version : Pre-mixing SAFE?

DonMD
08-13-2011, 07:54 AM
I'm a great fan of Prime, and am getting ready to order more. Of course I've been reading the posts on SAFE, and see the tremendous savings. But I'm debating because of 1) the ease of using a liquid that I keep under the tank in the dining room, and 2) the low odor of Prime at w/c time, compared to what I've read about how SAFE stinks up the place.

So, my question is: could I pre-mix SAFE in old Prime bottles, and use it as I did the Prime? I could mix it in the garage, to spare those sensitive souls in my house. Does anybody do this? -Don

TURQ64
08-13-2011, 08:04 AM
Well, I'll obviously ruffle some feathers with this one, but the amt. of Safe for 200 gallons is a teaspoon...so, everything smaller is just a pinch...It has an odor, but so does chicken cooking(that bothers me more than Safe)....too many whiners...as for long term storage premixed, I wouldn't recommend it..Now bad blackworms..there's a smell for ya!..Gary

Sean Buehrle
08-13-2011, 08:27 AM
Hey Jim

I've always noticed a rotten egg smell from prime, haven't you?

I've decided to go with safe after my prime runs out and I've used prime since it came out.

It for sure is the better deal and is no diff from prime.

I'm kinda wondering who at seachem came up with the idea of selling it because if I buy the 4 kilo bucket it will cost me what I spend in a year on prime, I'll bet a 4kilo bucket of that stuff will last at least 4 years, so they lost money.

I'll buy it, I'm going to purchase from Dave rose, igopro.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YSS
08-13-2011, 08:35 AM
Safe doesn't stink that much. I initially bought a kilo bottle but since bought a slightly used 4Kg bucket. Yes, Safe smells, but that's when you open the bottle. It's not that bad. If you'd like I can have you try a small sample and/or buy some from me. Let me know if you want to take up the offer. I think I did ask about pre-mixing it, but answers I've gotten were no. I am in Vienna near Wolftrap.

Bill63SG
08-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Maybe to clarify a little,yeah it stinks a little,but it's not constant.Its when you open the bottle and dump it in.It's not like the tank then stinks.Just at that moment of use.If it was really bad my wife wouldn't be doing the water changes during the week while I work.

ericatdallas
08-13-2011, 10:49 AM
The rotten egg smell comes from hydrogen sulfide. SAFE and PRIME are some kind of "hydrosulfite" salt according to their MSDS.

According to their website, you don't want to pre-mix it because it doesn't contain "stabilizers" and it will have a short shelf life. Not sure if anyone's tested that claim.

However, you're probably okay if you pre-mix it for your wife to use in small quantities before you go to work (so pre-mix it in the morning).

Finally, if you don't have chloramine in the water, you could always use sodium thiosulfate which doesn't have the smell problem.

DonMD
08-13-2011, 11:50 AM
OK, thanks for the replies. YSS, thanks for the offer, I might take you up on a small sample. Do you just add the powder to the tank, or do you pre-mix just before the w/c? I think I read that they recommend mixing in aquarium water in a container, then adding to the aquarium. Seems like just an added step.

Bill63SG
08-13-2011, 02:15 PM
Just put in the amount you need directly into tank as you add your water.

ericatdallas
08-13-2011, 02:29 PM
I do both, but normally I like to shake it up in a bottle first (old orange juice container). I figure this way it'll quickly diffuse through the tank faster as I pour it in circles around the water and it's already dissolved.

I'm sure just scooping it doesn't add too much to the reaction time. My fish seem fine both ways.

YSS
08-13-2011, 06:24 PM
OK, thanks for the replies. YSS, thanks for the offer, I might take you up on a small sample. Do you just add the powder to the tank, or do you pre-mix just before the w/c? I think I read that they recommend mixing in aquarium water in a container, then adding to the aquarium. Seems like just an added step.

Sounds good. Let me know what you would like to do. PM me and I will send you my address.

Yun-