PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Water Change Design Review - What are your thoughts?

rpmahesh
08-13-2011, 11:59 AM
I am setting up a new 110 Gallon display tank with automated water change system based on RENEW™ Automatic Water Change System - Genesis Reef Systems. Attached is a schematic of the design. I appreciate a review and suggestions.

Darrell Ward
08-13-2011, 12:20 PM
I honestly think it's a waste of time and money on a tank as small as a 110 gal. I can do 50% water changes on both a 240 gal, and a 150 gal. in less than an hour. It would only make sense on a really large tank.

rpmahesh
08-14-2011, 04:10 PM
I agree with you 100%. However, I travel a lot and my wife is not ready to take on the role of water changing. To ease her pain, I am setting this up.

Darrell Ward
08-14-2011, 04:52 PM
Well then, let's us know how it's working for you when you get it going.

Frankr409
08-14-2011, 04:52 PM
Looks interesting. Far better to make a gradual, perpetual water change than one big change daily. Of those that make these daily mega changes, I am afraid there are only two possible outcomes, those who have had a disaster, and those that will.

I also do a 25% change all day long, every day. I gravity drain water from the tank with 1/4 inch tubing and replace it with fresh r/o water using a simple float valve. A very simple system compared to your plan, but that's how I like to roll.

ericatdallas
08-14-2011, 06:23 PM
I agree.. being busy or traveling a lot, it's worth getting an auto-WC. Heck, it's fun to think about and work on anyway. When I move, I definitely plan to build one.

Dkarc@Aol.com
08-14-2011, 08:31 PM
Looks good to me. However, my only concern is adding pure R/O water into the system may cause issues down the road. Unfortunately im fairly ignorant to this style/type of auto w/c system, so im not sure if that was taken into account or not (minerals and alkalinity).

BTW, what program did you use for that drawing?

-Ryan

JustinJDH401
08-14-2011, 09:57 PM
I am setting up a new 110 Gallon display tank with automated water change system based on RENEW™ Automatic Water Change System - Genesis Reef Systems. Attached is a schematic of the design. I appreciate a review and suggestions.

Imagine what else you could have accomplished with the time it took you to make that nice blueprint.

ericatdallas
08-14-2011, 10:36 PM
Imagine what else you could have accomplished with the time it took you to make that nice blueprint.

LOL. :)

It looks nice but it doesn't look like it took that much time. I also find that I save more time when I draw things out. The longer it takes me to put it on paper/schematic the better the actual build process goes (b/c it gives me time to think about all the nuances of a system).

My wife used to roll her eyes when I drew plans just to hang pictures in a room, but now she appreciates the eveness of how things are... when she does it, we usually have to get wall putty and touch-up paint ;)

rpmahesh
08-14-2011, 10:40 PM
Thanks for your inputs. Here is some additional information that was not clear depicted in the schematic. I plan to use the system for changing 24 gallons every other day. The system will gradually replace water either over a day, or a week. For example in my case, the system will replace 1 gallon/hr over 24 hrs period.

I am not going to add the RO water directly to the tank. I will prepare the water in the replacement tank by adding Seachem Discus Trace and Seachem buffer. I read in couple of threads here that use of RO water directly is not an option.

I am hopeful that this will reduce the shock of water change on the fishes and all that someone has to do is press a button to initiate the water change and get back to her routine.
The schematic was created in Microsoft Visio 2010.

Mahesh

rpmahesh
08-14-2011, 10:45 PM
I created this initial schematic in 15 minutes but put in about 30 - 45 minutes later to tweak and refine it.

ericatdallas
08-14-2011, 10:50 PM
So you're going to continuously flow 1gph in/out AND then do a PWC daily? Continuous drip/flow and PWC capabilities? Excessive perhaps, but I like it :)

Why even have your wife press a button? If that's the case, can't you program a timer to do a PWC?

Also, you could re-mix with your tap/waste water to buffer it. I don't like adding bottled crap to my fish and neither do a lot of people here. I might have some dissenters in that advice though. I suppose it depends on what's in your tap.

Definitely don't advise using straight RO water into the tank though...

rpmahesh
08-15-2011, 06:37 PM
My tap water is causing algae spikes. I understand that the tap water in my area is rich in iron and phosphates, which fuels algae spikes. I hate algae and I would like to avoid it. Hence I am thinking of using Trace and buffer. I am concerned about the issues some of the members had using these additives. I like to understand the issues further and will continue my research.

My tank is a planted tank and I understand from couple of reading that daily water change is not good for plants. Hence, I am planning water change every other day.

ericatdallas
08-15-2011, 08:31 PM
Well, since you're mixing tap back in, you're still going to have a lower concentration of iron and phosphates. Maybe not a big enough reduction though for what you're aiming for? Iron and phosphate are good for plants. Have you considered it might be your lights (i.e. too much)? Do you have a lot of plants?

rpmahesh
08-15-2011, 09:19 PM
In my current 75G tank plants occupy about 15% of the tank space. I plan on having about 20% plants in my new tank. I will use glass pots for plants to make it easy for maintenance. I will post a picture of my current tank tomorrow.