PDA

View Full Version : Need help ASAP - Jager Heater

laupao
08-14-2011, 09:39 PM
Hello everyone,

I have an issue with my new jager heater. Out of the box, I set the temp at 84 degrees. The actual water temp is now 82, thus far it has come on here and there but for only 10 secs when it does come on. Anyone here has good success calibrating these heaters?

I attempted to calibrate. I unplug the heater and push the red dial to 82 (actual water temp).. I put it back into the water and plug it in and set the blue dial to 84. It's not working

Can someone please help

Thanks

Sean Buehrle
08-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Maybe whatever your using to get the actual tank temp is incorrect or the Jagger isn't that pinpoint, just set it to 86 and see what happens

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kent1963
08-14-2011, 11:13 PM
I have not been able to get any of my new style jagers to calibrate( they all seem off by 2-3 deg.). However they do work ,I just ignore the displayed temp and slowly turn them up until my digital thermometer reads 84-85. As with any new equipment keep a very close eye on it for a couple of weeks.

cjr8420
08-14-2011, 11:32 PM
I have not been able to get any of my new style jagers to calibrate( they all seem off by 2-3 deg.). However they do work ,I just ignore the displayed temp and slowly turn them up until my digital thermometer reads 84-85. As with any new equipment keep a very close eye on it for a couple of weeks.
+1

jimg
08-15-2011, 06:58 AM
I don't bother with the calibration i move it according to what temp i want regardless of what the heater says
Also many thermometers for aquariums are off by 2 deg especially the stick on ones. don't worry too much about the temp just keep it the same

laupao
08-15-2011, 09:07 AM
after playing around with it for a few hrs..what i find that manage to work is that i set the red dial all the way to the left as much as it can go...then i set the blue dial to 85 right on the red dial indicator. i place the heater on the bottom, rear - middle of the tank. i have 2 glass therms, one on each side. with the heater set to 85, the therm on the left say 84, the therm on the right say 86..... i don't mind if the heater is off 1 or 2 degrees compare to where i've set the temp..what I'm concerned now is will the heater go crazy one day (like a few weeks out) and heat up the tank like crazy..or will it refuse to turn on even when it's 76... just saying

let me know what you guys think

have anyone of u have an issues after u guys have the heater temp set

TURQ64
08-15-2011, 09:26 AM
It'll probably be fine; better chance thn any other brand...I always trust my thermometers, not any dials, to tell me what's going on..They're fish; a little drift won't bother anything..JMO GAry

gerrard00
08-15-2011, 09:57 AM
I took mine out of the box, adjusted the red dial based on the temperature that my digital thermometer said and then turned the blue selector knob until the red arrow was pointing at the temperature I wanted. It's been rock solid since then.

ExReefer
08-15-2011, 11:44 AM

Me either. In fact, I just sent back my "new style" jager heater after about six months of operation because it recently stopped working even with the heater turned up to the max. I received my replacement jager and still can't calibrate it. It seems off by about 2-3 deg., just like you said. Although, this one does heat the tank.

laupao
08-16-2011, 10:15 AM
Ok, this is what I did last night. I went home and attempt to recalibrate as you guys stated above. The tank water temp is 82, I upplug the heater for 20 mins. I then take the heater and moved the red dial to 82, then I moved the blue dial to 84. Submerged the heater and plugged it back in. It still doesn't work. It doesn't wanna turn on. However, still plugged in, I reached for the heater and move the blue dial to 85, nothing, 86, nothing. finally the light turned on when I moved it to 90. I read the instructions over and over and it should be simple, but it's not working for me. Just like what ExReefer said.

What I finally did was moved the red dial ALL THE WAY TO THE LEFT (until it cannot go anymore), then I set the heater to 84 and it turned on. I went to bed and woke up this AM and the therm say the water is 84.

I'll keep any eye on it for the next 1-2 days and let you guys know. But really it shouldn't work this way, good thing I played around with it. NOW, will the heater work accordingly??? I hate to always be on edge and look at the temp all the darn time. Winter will be around the corner, I'm sure I will check even more often.

Let me know what you guys think

ExReefer
08-16-2011, 10:38 AM
laupao - that's the same process I went through. Kept having to turn it up more and more to get it to turn on at all. Eventually, it just stopped turning on. Your heater is bad. I got a replacement jager and it works fine, although it's still it's very difficult to calibrate. My new heater does not need to be turned up all the way and has maintained 84 deg. temp for about a week now.

roundfishross
08-16-2011, 10:38 AM
get a back up heater

laupao
08-16-2011, 12:49 PM
roundfishross - yes, i will need to get a back up

ExReefer - how is my heater bad. It does turn on, where as in your case your 1st heater wound up not turning on at all. As I stated above, with the red dial turned all the way to the left, i then set the blue dial to 84 and has since mantained the water temp.

ExReefer
08-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Because it sounds like it what mine was doing. Over time, I noticed my tank temp. was not holding and I kept turning up the heater to maintain the temp. I eventually turned it up to the max. and it was barely keeping the water at 82 deg. Finally, it just stopped turning on.

My replacement jager would cook my fish if I had it turned up all the way. It's a night and day difference compared to the broken one. Talk to your vendor, this is a common problem with the new style jagers.

DiscusBR
08-16-2011, 01:00 PM
I think that it is pathetic that in the 21st century the industry canīt make a heater that comes calibrated. When I started my 80g tank I experienced difficulties calibrating my jagers. But now I attach my two 150W heaters to a temperature controller and it works like a charm.

laupao
08-16-2011, 02:18 PM
DiscusBR,

Can you tell me more about the temperature controller? How's it used and setup? I would be interested in perhaps during that if that's the safest ..and to prevent heater malfuntion

roundfishross
08-16-2011, 02:59 PM
http://www.jehmco.com/html/temperature_controller.html

DiscusBR
08-16-2011, 03:02 PM
DiscusBR,

Can you tell me more about the temperature controller? How's it used and setup? I would be interested in perhaps during that if that's the safest ..and to prevent heater malfuntion

Yes, attaching two heaters to a controller is the safest way to prevent heater malfunction and the cooking of your fish. I use the Finnex HC-0810M Digital Temperature Controller:

http://www.finnex.net/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=69&category_id=2&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=61&vmcchk=1&Itemid=61

I just attach my two jager heaters to it, dial the temperature I want, and forget about it. The only problem I have with this product is that the cord of the temperature sensor is too short. So instead of having the controller under the tank as all other equipment I have to attach it to one of the sides of the tank. Otherwise, great product.

roundfishross
08-16-2011, 03:10 PM
I like these they are a little more heavy duty

http://www.etcsupply.com/johnson-a419abc1c-120240v-single-stage-temperature-control-p-111.html