PDA

View Full Version : Is there something better than bio balls in a wet/dry

crf50hugo
08-16-2011, 02:36 PM
I just broke down my 120 to clean out and reconfigure for bare bottom. I want to know if anyone uses something other than bio balls for better bio filtering. I read that ehfisubstrat pro is good but I think its only for canister filters or submerged use only. I was thinking of K1 but don't want to run an air pump and have all that noise in my living room.

DiscusOnly
08-17-2011, 09:08 AM
A lot of folks use scrub pads as bio media. They are relatively cheap.

TURQ64
08-17-2011, 09:52 AM
I've switched over three of four sumps so far with fluid bed media instead of bio balls....less worry about sump levels, and they seem to be working well..Kaldness media from Inland Empire....Not cheap, but effective......Gary

Skip
08-17-2011, 10:01 AM
A lot of folks use scrub pads as bio media. They are relatively cheap.

thats the cheap plastic stuff from Dollar store.. not the metal ones.. :)

crf50hugo
08-17-2011, 02:10 PM
I read that people use plastic pot scrubbed but is that the same as plastic bio balls? Gary how do run that media in a wet/dry , is it the same a bio balls?

Skip
08-17-2011, 02:13 PM
i would think they have more surface area then bio balls :)

jeff@zina.com
08-17-2011, 03:18 PM
I run scrubbies in a 5 gallon pail, cheap and works great. A layer of filter material on top makes it easy to keep them clean.

Jeff

crf50hugo
08-17-2011, 04:44 PM
Ok I'll bite, I will give it a try. Thanks guys

DiscusOnly
08-17-2011, 09:32 PM
Ok I'll bite, I will give it a try. Thanks guys

I sold all of mine to another member here but this is what they look like.

Van

cjr8420
08-17-2011, 09:48 PM
submerged ceramic rings is easy just keep under water and they work,no bubbles or trickle needed

Darrell Ward
08-17-2011, 10:42 PM
I've switched over three of four sumps so far with fluid bed media instead of bio balls....less worry about sump levels, and they seem to be working well..Kaldness media from Inland Empire....Not cheap, but effective......Gary

I agree. Kaldness is outstanding bio media when aerated. Seachem "matrix" is also extremely effective. I prefer the larger "pond matrix", which is the same, but the pieces are much larger. Both have more surface area than most other things often used.

walt3
08-28-2011, 05:22 PM
pumice?

Bayou Discus
08-30-2011, 04:08 PM
Tagging along on this topic...Designing a wet dry 55 gallon sump now for my fish room and need to decide if I am going to use bio balls.

joanstone
08-30-2011, 07:30 PM
I have my 55 gallon sump set up as follows:
Each end has overflow water from the DT flowing into baskets that are lined with Poret foam. The water drips through each foam lined basket into an end section of the sump. The sump is divided into 3 sections using 3" Poret foam. The end sections are filled with biomedia-one has a ton of Kaldness with an airstone and powerhead moving it around the other has random stuff that I had like ceramic rings, bioballs and matrix. The middle section contains the return pump and a Poret foam block filter with a jet lifter (so I have a bacteria ready filter if I need one) along with a heater and a reactor currently housing a polyfilter. The Kaldness seemed a bit pricey, but when I saw how much I got with my order I was thrilled. I'm using it in all of my tanks and pond.

Doc_Polit
09-23-2011, 04:59 PM
I could not find the correct "scrubbies" in my area so I went with...........believe it.........plastic army men from the dollar store.

They have decent surface area and (used with Matrix) work just fine in the wet/dry.

vizkid2005
12-10-2011, 04:22 AM
I`m using the same scrub pads in DiscusOnly`s post ... Work great .. I have another layer of mechanical filteration on top of it ....

ericatdallas
12-10-2011, 02:54 PM
I use scrubbies too... I also found big large sponges at dollar store that seem to work just fine. Just make sure there are no additives. A good rine and a long soak just in case too. If you see an oily film or it has perfumes, don't use. Also, if it's somewhat wet and when you rub your finger tips together it has a slight abrasive feel, then don't use. It may not do any harm, but the risk isn't worth it.

I actually use reuseable A/C filters. They sell a sheet for $4 and I cut it up. I rinse them under water first before use. I toss them out every now and then too. In fact, my Fluval actually worked better. People use to comment how clean my water looked but I had been using ceramic rings with scrubbies prior for months and the water had a noticeable difference with the A/C filter. I think they were very good at mechanical filtration as well.

So first layer was reuseable A/C filter for particulates, then I used sponges and and ceramic rings for bio-filtration in subsequent layers.

vizkid2005
12-11-2011, 01:11 AM
For Mechanical filtration : Am planning to use fine muslin cloth ... a big piece folded on itself several times to achieve the desired size ... I think this will be easier to clean and maintain ... and this will provide very good filtration ,,,,
what say ???

joanstone
12-11-2011, 01:16 PM
I just picked up some of Seachem's "The Bag" on clearance and have been using them over the overflow drains in my sump. They are 180 micron and are working great. I had tried a few other options, but so far like these the best. They catch pretty much everything and are easy to clean.

Sean Buehrle
12-11-2011, 03:45 PM
I have to ask this question, it's driving me crazy.

Why would anyone or what would prompt someone to want to look for a better media than a bio ball in a trickle filter or a sump ?

Are you experiencing some sort of a problem with ammonia being present?

Or is it the cost of bio balls that is making you look for an alternative.
Just wondering :)

vizkid2005
12-12-2011, 12:16 AM
@sean : Its an availability issue ... I stay in India and here its very difficult to find bio balls ... thats why I am looking for alternatives ..

Sean Buehrle
12-12-2011, 07:03 AM
@sean : Its an availability issue ... I stay in India and here its very difficult to find bio balls ... thats why I am looking for alternatives ..

Ahh your a bit far out there ain't ya LOL.

Have you checked eBay for international sellers? The Chinese will send and sell anything anywhere.

Here's one in new jersey with free shipping world wide.

Ebay Item number 330617571415

Might be worth looking into.

random-cichlid
02-20-2012, 08:41 PM
scoria
lava rock
red rock

has many names but it is very good id rate it higher then bio balls also dont underestimate normal old shade cloth that also works really well also serves as a pre filter of sorts

j123
04-05-2012, 09:37 PM
I won't say it's better, but I use lava rock from Menards or Home Depot. It's really cheap.

nikond70s
04-05-2012, 10:26 PM
i read nothing but great things on biohome media. its what pro's use and very popular in asia and the uk. a bit pricey but from reviews and such it rates very high. thnking of getting some for my canister.

voec2002
03-22-2013, 07:07 AM
i read nothing but great things on biohome media. its what pro's use and very popular in asia and the uk. a bit pricey but from reviews and such it rates very high. thnking of getting some for my canister.

you know what i seen this on you tube, collecting bottle caps fuse them together with soldering iron also solder many holes throughout caps works as well as any bio ball