PDA

View Full Version : garbage bins for water storage do or don't

crf50hugo
08-17-2011, 03:14 PM
I don't have a ro unit so I buy my water from a pure water store and it is getting old going everyday to get water. I want to store at least 50 gallons so I don't have to go everyday. I fear that garbage bins may leech something harmful chemicals or something. Well would it be safe.

Keith Perkins
08-17-2011, 03:17 PM
A lot of folks use Rubbermaid Brute trash cans with no problem, including me. I would think aging tap water or producing your own RO if you really need it would be a lot cheaper than buying water. I'd do the math.

crf50hugo
08-17-2011, 04:42 PM
Ya I did the math and it would be cheaper but the start-up coast is killing me some thing always comes up. But I'll get it some day. I haven't found a rubber made in 50 gallon yet.

atitagain
08-17-2011, 05:00 PM
I think the biggest consumer Brute you can pick up is 42 gallons.

DonMD
08-17-2011, 05:05 PM
I think the biggest consumer Brute you can pick up is 42 gallons.

I'm pretty sure I had 2 Brute 56 gallon bins, but maybe my memory has gone now too, don't remember what else I've forgotten. I do know that I used Brute cans for years with no problems. -Don

atitagain
08-17-2011, 05:08 PM
I thought that they were 56 too Don but when I looked for them I couldn't find them anywhere so I picked up the 42's. I think you can only get the 56 from commerical sources now.

I'm just old so the memory is shot.

Sean Buehrle
08-17-2011, 05:11 PM
In darn near every city you can find food grade 55 gal blue barrels10-20 bucks each, you just have to call around to find them.

Any factory that deals with food can tell you where to find one.
Printing companies get them for glue and soy based ink, non toxic.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crf50hugo
08-23-2011, 03:00 AM
Well I went to lowes and found a 96 gallon toter brand garbage bin for 90 bucks. I was happy after calling the toter company to find out if it would be safe to store water for aquariums, the engineer told me that its not food grade plastic because they use 50% recycled plastic but that the pigment is from there former food grade line. He also told that he couldn't guarantee that it would not leech anything into to the water ether I guess he was covering his backside. So I bought it anyways because its capacity and price. I just found out about off gasing and got me thinking because the bin dose have a smell to it. The funny thing is that I tossed the receipt. You guys think I'm paranoid?

Darrell Ward
08-23-2011, 05:31 AM
I would probably be more concerned about plastic trash cans distorting under water pressure and splitting, rather than leeching. You guys do know you can buy proper water storage containers in any size up to over a 1000 gals, don't you?

Bud Smith
08-23-2011, 05:49 AM
A lot of folks use Rubbermaid Brute trash cans with no problem, including me. I would think aging tap water or producing your own RO if you really need it would be a lot cheaper than buying water. I'd do the math.

+1 - that is what I have used for my aging barrel for 3 years - no problems - economical

Keith Perkins
08-23-2011, 08:10 AM
I would probably be more concerned about plastic trash cans distorting under water pressure and splitting, rather than leeching. You guys do know you can buy proper water storage containers in any size up to over a 1000 gals, don't you?

Basically yes, but immediate availability and the ability to get them into my basement were the main reasons I went with the brutes. I was concerned enough with the distorting and splitting that I didn't go with the cheaper trash cans. A link to a good source for proper storage barrels in this thread would be cool though for those interested.

crf50hugo
08-23-2011, 12:03 PM
Proper water storage containers in the 50 gallon and up coast a lot of money. So back my concern about off gasing, should I worry or not?

cjr8420
08-23-2011, 12:36 PM
i used a cheap garbage can and garden hose for yrs doing water changes with no problems with leeching until i got discus and was storing the water at 85.at that temp something started leeching from can or hose im not sure but replaced both and now im good i have a 42 gal brute and a potable water hose.ur barrel guy said he couldnt guarantee that it wont leech so thats ur possible issue.you have guessed now u can test or buy one with a guarantee

ericatdallas
08-23-2011, 12:42 PM
I tried to buy a "refurbished" 55G food-grade barrel and got quoted a $50 charge. Highway robbery. I would rather buy it from someone's backyard for $5-10 and sanitize it myself. Unfortunately, the only seller I've found is an hour away so that nearly doubles the cost of getting a barrel so I have to find a good time.

This city sucks :P

I wish I lived in one of the bigger cities in the state where they have fish clubs.

Harriett
08-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Proper water storage containers in the 50 gallon and up coast a lot of money. So back my concern about off gasing, should I worry or not?

Back to the food grade plastic barrels available pretty much any town if you do a little research. I got mine for $15, it holds 55g, I have zero worries about it splitting; it's made to hold this amount of weight. There is no guess work, it's safe. I just fill it, aerate and heat it, it's good to go. Fish never react. Darrell, can you give Hugo a lead on containers?

Best regards,
Harriett

TURQ64
08-23-2011, 02:15 PM
The food grade stuff is available from coast to coast, even out here in the sticks..Just do craigslist under 'barrels', or 'tote'..usually 10-15 bucks for barrels, and 100 for totes..I've escalated to daisy chained totes now instead of barrels...

Darrell Ward
08-23-2011, 05:30 PM
Basically yes, but immediate availability and the ability to get them into my basement were the main reasons I went with the brutes. I was concerned enough with the distorting and splitting that I didn't go with the cheaper trash cans. A link to a good source for proper storage barrels in this thread would be cool though for those interested.
http://www.ntotank.com/75gaveta.html
Here you go. Will last forever, with no worries of splitting. Many sizes available.

Keith Perkins
08-23-2011, 05:54 PM
I knew you'd come through Darrell. :)

crf50hugo
08-23-2011, 06:22 PM
Cool thanks for help guys. I just picked up a 65 gallon barrel that is food grade off of Craigslist. It's 15 more gallons than the brute and cheaper. Again thanks for help and now its time to find an r/o system