PDA

View Full Version : New to discus...questions regarding sump

Bill Carlson
08-18-2011, 12:03 PM
Hi all....

I am just beginning to tip my toe into keeping discuss (as a hobby/not breeding). I have been keeping saltwater fish and reef tanks for yrs. Tank will be converting is a 240 gallon tank -8'x3'x16". It has an overflow in the middle of the tank with two drains and two return lines. Under the tank and in the stand is a 125 gal tank that is drilled and is the current sump and refugium. I would really like to keep the sump and use for the discuss tank..

Here are my questions:

1. What a wet/dry, trickle filter be most efficient use of this space.
2. What media would be recommended for the bio portion of the filter..I have seen plastic scrubbies recommended in place of bio balls.
3. Should I place several air stones in the sump?
4. Given I can do almost anything with the sump...what would be the "dream" set up? I realize this will be a matter of opinion and preference, looking for different ideas.
5. The show tank is acrylic and can be drilled...with the only having overflows would it be a good idea to drill a few drains in the bottom of the tank to help remove waste on the bottom, or should I not go through this and use water changes to remove waste on bottom of tank.

Thanks in advance to everyone that takes the time to read and offer input, as I am sure to follow up with more and more questions.

Bill.

TURQ64
08-18-2011, 12:21 PM
I have several sumps, of two styles..wet/dry that I've ran forever, and recent changeovers to fluidised bed media...I'm liking the fluidised bed better all the time...Probably keep it simple here; media, maybe a nitrate sponge, and some air doesn't hurt. Since most of us change a lot of water, sponge filters are used in tank a lot,so..I keep extra sponges seeding in the sumps...Gary

Bill Carlson
08-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Thx Gary. I will search the site for info on fluidized bed filters.

TURQ64
08-18-2011, 01:14 PM
There was a thread here relative to Kaldness Media ...Bill at Inland Empire sells it, so that might help you search..Not cheap like scrub pads, but I like the concept better than traditional wet/dry.....I also converted over a lot of my salt gear decades ago, hence my original dive into freshwater sumps...

Bill Carlson
08-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Cool..I will check out Inland Empire.