PDA

View Full Version : A pic for Ryan...

brewmaster15
08-18-2011, 05:40 PM
Hey Ryan,

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=68370&d=1313703617

While camping this past week, saw a gem of a critter... and knowing how much you like these ;):bandana: I took a pic with my cell phone...not the greatest pic, but its all I had with me... This "brownish gray fishing spider" was on the side of a large rock by the waters edge..looks like he was fishing much as I was... He caught a really cool looking dragon fly...a bit of shame..but hey even arachnids need to eat!

Anyway spider was probably close to 2 inches in Diameter...quite the predator...

-al

LizStreithorst
08-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Wow, what a cool critter. What's it called?

brewmaster15
08-18-2011, 06:08 PM
Hi Liz,
Its one of my favorite spiders here in CT, Dolomedes tenebrosus, Its commonly called the "brownish grey fishing spider" We see them alot in CT...I have a couple living in the shed that scare the daylights out of my kids when I have them go get something. :) These spiders actually can go under water! ...

http://www.uark.edu/ua/arthmuse/dolomede.html

-al

AKRON AWOL
08-18-2011, 06:26 PM
agh gosh i hate those things....props on the cool looking picture though!

zimmjeff
08-18-2011, 06:30 PM
glad you didn't say anything about that last winter.

LizStreithorst
08-18-2011, 07:01 PM
I looked them up and we are supposed to have them where I live. I must not have been paying enough attention (ashamed) We have these down here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_silk_orb-weaver Very cool spider. Some people hate them. There must be something wrong with those people.

Ryan
08-18-2011, 08:18 PM
We call Golden Orbweavers "banana spiders" and they are literally everywhere from now until Christmas. I am terrified of them, and basically every large spider. Al's is bad too because it can swim. This is why I don't go camping or hiking during this time of year. Between spiders, gnats, and mosquitos, Florida ia dreadful through the summer.

April
08-18-2011, 08:23 PM
Yuk I'm with ryan. I don't do well with spiders. I'm convinced it's really the only reason women get married . So they have someone to get rid of the spiders for them!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=49.235371,-123.185127

LizStreithorst
08-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Ryan, we call them banana spiders down here too. BTW, you and my friend April are sissies. I'll take a stand against wasps and yellow jackets. Poisonous snakes aren't my favorite thing despite their beauty. But here, all except one are reclusive. There is one that will go after you. Cotton Mouth Moccasin maybe(?) I can't remember which one it is. Other that those things, bring it on. I love it.

Second Hand Pat
08-18-2011, 11:50 PM
We call Golden Orbweavers "banana spiders" and they are literally everywhere from now until Christmas. I am terrified of them, and basically every large spider. Al's is bad too because it can swim. This is why I don't go camping or hiking during this time of year. Between spiders, gnats, and mosquitos, Florida ia dreadful through the summer.

Banana spider webs are rather impressive. You can throw a large stick into the web and the stick stays in the web. Since I am not much bigger than a stick I admire from a far. Al, great picture you have there. Here have a similar spider called a wolf spider but they do not catch fish to my knowledge, but deadly on roaches.

Ryan
08-19-2011, 12:07 AM
Banana spiders are definitely impressive. They are beautiful and their webs are gigantic. I just don't want to walk through one!

The most awful spider we have here is the Huntsman, which we refer to as "wood spider" because they are often found in wood stacks. They also hunt in and around water, so you usually find them in dark, damp areas. They grow gigantic and move faster than anything I have ever seen. They are completely terrifying to me. Apparently they are very common in Australia as well. Here is a video of one. The first rental house I ever lived in was infested with Huntsmans, and most of them were almost this size. No joke. I routinely killed Huntsmans that were as big around as CDs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRV4d9LCawU

Second Hand Pat
08-19-2011, 12:15 AM
That was funny but a freaky big spider...and they are here in fla...another import??

Ryan
08-19-2011, 12:18 AM
That was funny but a freaky big spider...and they are here in fla...another import??

From what I've read, there are multiple species of Huntsman spiders and they exist all over the world in warmer places. They found a new species in the Greater Mekong in 2008 that measures 12" from leg to leg. That's the stuff of nightmares.

Second Hand Pat
08-19-2011, 12:28 AM
Ryan, as you know wolf spiders like to live in homes and growing up here I have more than seen my share of them. My bird dog use to hunt wolf spiders and when the dog puts its paw on the spider and you can still see the legs...well, that is a big spider. I totally respect spiders and do not particularly fear them. But I HATE walking through webs.

brewmaster15
08-19-2011, 09:43 AM
I want one!:)

-al

AKRON AWOL
08-19-2011, 10:01 AM
Banana spiders are definitely impressive. They are beautiful and their webs are gigantic. I just don't want to walk through one!

The most awful spider we have here is the Huntsman, which we refer to as "wood spider" because they are often found in wood stacks. They also hunt in and around water, so you usually find them in dark, damp areas. They grow gigantic and move faster than anything I have ever seen. They are completely terrifying to me. Apparently they are very common in Australia as well. Here is a video of one. The first rental house I ever lived in was infested with Huntsmans, and most of them were almost this size. No joke. I routinely killed Huntsmans that were as big around as CDs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRV4d9LCawU

i have a healthy respect for spiders that size and wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole...heck i get squimish if it's the size of my pinky nail....i usually get my 13 yr old sister to kill them for me...that kid has guts

Second Hand Pat
08-19-2011, 10:25 AM
I want one!:)

-al

Do you really :) I could dig you up a black widow or two also :)

laborelch
08-19-2011, 12:26 PM

I have one living in my smoker ..... haven't used the smoker this year.... :-(

aalbina
08-19-2011, 12:36 PM
I had a pretty good size black widow in little terrarium in my office when I use to work in KY. Found her on my window sill one morning so we made a home for her. OSHA folks made me remove it from the office -- (;

Jennie
08-31-2011, 07:07 PM
what a neat spider..and i hate them