PDA

View Full Version : Discus Gang Wars

Second Hand Pat
08-21-2011, 12:21 PM
Recently added a group of young tefes to the my new 230 gallon biotype. Add a handful of blackworms and this is what you get (sorry for the crappy video and ignore the TV noise.)

http://s925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/?action=view&current=VIDEO0050.mp4

Towards the end of the clip everyone wants to get involved. Hope they sort it out soon.

TURQ64
08-21-2011, 01:00 PM
That's what they get for showin' up in the other guy's colors!...My Heckel's act pretty much the same; there are two alpha's..one from the Mari Mari's,one from the Jatapu's.(there's a couple so submissive due to this, that if you didn't know better, you'd think they were headstanders!)...it's actually always turf wars in there!....Tanks lookin' spiffy, BTW

strawberryblonde
08-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Awwwww, your tank looks like mine did when I added my new 4"ers to the the mix last month. The biting, nudging and fighting was just downright horrible to watch. Mine seem to have pretty much sorted it out now though, with Fred the Flachen retaining his boss status (unless Big Red isn't watching eggs that is) and then Fred II, the new flachen SS being second in command.

Number Five is still low man on the totem pole along with the new flachen, but thankfully he's now eating again and is even willing to go fight for bits of food once or twice a day. The new flachen is my "headstander". I about had a heart attack the first time I saw him facing head down near the back of the tank during feeding time, but I eventuallly figured out that it's his submissive posture and keeps the others from bothering him.

Yours will work it out, it's just the pecking order thing plus a lovely new tank with lots and lots of good places up for grabs that's causing it. Have you ever noticed that each discus chooses one special spot for sleeping and resting? Mine fought like crazy for the best spots in the big tank...lol (Fred won the primo spot - Marlboro Man and Number Five ended up sleeping together behind the sword plant...the "worst" spot apparently)

Second Hand Pat
08-21-2011, 03:01 PM
That's what they get for showin' up in the other guy's colors!...My Heckel's act pretty much the same; there are two alpha's..one from the Mari Mari's,one from the Jatapu's.(there's a couple so submissive due to this, that if you didn't know better, you'd think they were headstanders!)...it's actually always turf wars in there!....Tanks lookin' spiffy, BTW

Why thank you Gary :) Are your heckels leaving bite marks on the sides of the fish. These guys are non-stop until I walk by then they switch to begging. Wonder if some older adults will help tame the flames.

Second Hand Pat
08-21-2011, 03:10 PM
Awwwww, your tank looks like mine did when I added my new 4"ers to the the mix last month. The biting, nudging and fighting was just downright horrible to watch. Mine seem to have pretty much sorted it out now though, with Fred the Flachen retaining his boss status (unless Big Red isn't watching eggs that is) and then Fred II, the new flachen SS being second in command.

Number Five is still low man on the totem pole along with the new flachen, but thankfully he's now eating again and is even willing to go fight for bits of food once or twice a day. The new flachen is my "headstander". I about had a heart attack the first time I saw him facing head down near the back of the tank during feeding time, but I eventuallly figured out that it's his submissive posture and keeps the others from bothering him.

Yours will work it out, it's just the pecking order thing plus a lovely new tank with lots and lots of good places up for grabs that's causing it. Have you ever noticed that each discus chooses one special spot for sleeping and resting? Mine fought like crazy for the best spots in the big tank...lol (Fred won the primo spot - Marlboro Man and Number Five ended up sleeping together behind the sword plant...the "worst" spot apparently)

Toni, definitely hard to watch and while I have had pushing, lip locking and tail wagging before this is at a whole new level. I have seem the facing down and backing away and figured that was a submissive gesture. But no one is submitting, everyone wants to be the boss. Maybe a tankful of guys.

Skip
08-21-2011, 03:17 PM
West Side Discus..

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NtWch3yJJeg/ScZW7ufrX6I/AAAAAAAAArs/gYceMy5HGr0/s400/Jets+vs+Sharks.jpg

Darrell Ward
08-21-2011, 03:29 PM
Why thank you Gary :) Are your heckels leaving bite marks on the sides of the fish. These guys are non-stop until I walk by then they switch to begging. Wonder if some older adults will help tame the flames.

They will work it out eventually, although they probably will have scraps from time to time, like daily! LOL! Times when I've added more fish, it only changed the players involved in the fist-o-cuffs. It's mostly pretty harmless however, although one may get a scrape occasionally, it goes away in a few days. You should see my adult Blue Sapphires go at it in the 150 gal. They are around 7", and just plain mean to each other at times. It becomes this big water splashing affair.

Second Hand Pat
08-21-2011, 03:35 PM
I know they will Darrell but geez. On a high note guess it means they are healthy and feeling good. :) They are scuffing each other up quite a bit.

Skip, need a couple of fists flying in that picture lol.

Skip
08-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Skip, need a couple of fists flying in that picture lol.

http://media-1.web.britannica.com/eb-media/91/77091-004-7485222B.jpg

Second Hand Pat
08-21-2011, 03:52 PM
http://media-1.web.britannica.com/eb-media/91/77091-004-7485222B.jpg

better lol

TURQ64
08-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Both the Heckel tank and the domestics in the 180 are a bit up crew...They heal right up, and keep it up anyway....The domestics are generally due to maturing fish pairing, but the Heckel's just plain enjoy it..(the winners, that is!).....biggest fighting in the house are some Rose Reds...they are relentless...

Second Hand Pat
08-21-2011, 04:31 PM
So basically normal and no worries...

TURQ64
08-21-2011, 04:35 PM
absolutely!!..Extremely normal, and content..it's what they do best...

Keith Perkins
08-21-2011, 05:07 PM
I kid you not, after reading the first post I was going to suggest the sound would have been a lot better if you had put on the sound track from West Side Story. Absolutely beautiful tank, I might just have to pick myself up a piece of manzanita. I've got the losers discount from PC1 available.

TURQ64
08-21-2011, 05:16 PM
I was humming, 'when you're a Jet, you're a Jet all the way'!

Second Hand Pat
08-21-2011, 06:37 PM
Thanks Keith, glad you like the tank. Better lights come tomorrow so maybe get some pics without all the reflections.

Yea, sorry about the TV noise and thanks Gary, good to know all is normal. They have settled a bit until the next feeding lol.

DiscusBR
08-21-2011, 11:44 PM
First of all, congrats for the beautiful setup and wilds. Thanks for sharing the video. To avoid reflection and get better images, film or photograph at nigth and switch off all the lights, with the exception of the tank's lights.

A few weeks ago one of my cuipeuas became a big bully in my 80g, but no other fish would dare to face her the way your video shows (I think it is a lady because she started to clean the intake of my filter - no eggs though). In my case, the tank became much peaceful a few weeks later, especially after I added two more cuipeuas (I now have 7). So I also think they will figure out things themselves.

Second Hand Pat
08-22-2011, 08:02 AM
Mauro, thank you for the hints on lights. I have better lights coming today and know about turning off the room lights. Reason of taking the video when I did was to capture the behaviors being shown at that particular moment.

I also have three more tefes in QT which will become part of this group bring the group to nine. Glad your group has settled for you :)