PDA

View Full Version : Bacteria starters do they work

crf50hugo
08-23-2011, 07:02 PM
I broke down my 120 to clean it out and start the right way for housing discus. So my bacteria is no longer present, do products like cycle really work?

DonMD
08-23-2011, 07:04 PM
Not in my experience. If you are starting from scratch to prepare for discus, I would recommend sterilizing your setup, then conducting a fishless cycle. It should take about 5 weeks. Just my opinion. Good luck.

TURQ64
08-23-2011, 07:09 PM
I don't know about cycle, but I've had good results with a few others.Seldom need it, but once in a while I strip a sump......Gary

roclement
08-23-2011, 07:13 PM
Dr. Tim's is the only one I would use.

Rodrigo

jimg
08-23-2011, 07:17 PM
Dr. Tim's is the only one I would use.

Rodrigo
+1

or tetra safestart, they are the same product but ordering from Dr Tims you may get fresher batch.
Put a thin layer of gravel or substrate on the tank bottom and do minimal wc's no wipedowns until you see no ammonia or nitrites.
I would not trust them 100% though. a good seeded filter is better

crf50hugo
08-23-2011, 07:31 PM
Ok I'll try Dr. Tim's. I just don't want to seed with the old tanks bacteria that I used to seed the 50 gallon QT.

roclement
08-23-2011, 10:10 PM
The good thing about using a starter is basically o chance of bringing something into the tank as you may with a seeded sponge. If you are into cycling tanks (I am not but that's another thread altogether) I would go through a fishless cycle instead of anything else.

Rodrigo

Darrell Ward
08-23-2011, 10:25 PM
I have used seeded media, filters to start tanks for years. They all come from my own tanks, so I trust them. It would be different if they came from someone else. To me it's better than starting totally from scratch. I have no patience for such.

joanstone
08-23-2011, 10:43 PM
I recently tried one called StartSmart Complete to combat a nasty ammonia problem one of my tanks was having. Within 2-3 days the ammonia level dropped to zero and the tank was completely clear with no water changes after the addition of bacteria. Previous to that, I had been doing repeated water changes. One thing I found interesting was that the StartSmart containers were bulging at the bottom indicating viable bacteria.

Dudley Eirich
08-23-2011, 11:04 PM
I don't recommend the commercial ones.

TankCla
08-23-2011, 11:15 PM
Do not use API to start your tank. I had good results with Nutrafin Cycle. You are good to go in 3-5 days.

Harriett
08-24-2011, 12:44 PM
I had to restart a smaller tank after I inherited some flukes in a purchase...I used STABILITY--I poured it directly into the filter media and let it sit for a bit before turning the filter on. I repeated the dosing [and used 2 x the recommended dose] for 3 days--at which point the tank was cruising. At day 3 of dosing, the tank was completely clear and nitrites were zip. I put the [clean] fish back in and did daily 80% water chaanges for a few days, watching closely. I think it kind of worked. Since I was shakey on using that method and it would be really expensive for restarting a big tank, I took well seasoned [clean] media sponges and froze ithem in my deep freeze. I was told by a really exprienced friend that the bacteria will hold indefinitely in this way. It's like money in the bank for me, whether for a restart or a start up. I have enough in there to start a 125g tank., assuming it works!
Best regards,
Harriett

crf50hugo
08-24-2011, 04:06 PM
All great info thanks for the support guys.