PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic Rings Quantity?.... Ebay OK?

a volar
08-24-2011, 08:30 PM
Hello every one, Im planing to start a 210 gal discus tank with 3 50 gal rubermaid containers as sump and a another 55 gal tank attached to same sump, so total water volume will be about 340 gal, because the 3 rubermaid containers will be about half full, this just to be a reef setup so I want to use as much as I can.

Questions.

-how much ceramic rings I have to use for this set up, and those for sale on ebay are good?

-Since the sumps are located in the garage (across wall from tank) Im going to use the same pvc pipes and hose for overflow and return, do I need to clean pipes and hose? of course I have cleaned everything else

Thank you so much for your help

-Ismael

Darrell Ward
08-25-2011, 02:42 AM
Confused as to why you think you need 3-50 gal. containers as a sump. It would much better to use a single sump, perhaps a single, 100 gal. Rubbermaid stock tank. It would be more than sufficient for those 2 tanks, as well as being more durable than standard containers that tend to distort under water pressure. A couple of gallons of ceramic rings should be way more than enough, but it wouldn't hurt anything if you added more. Flushing the pipes out on initial start-up should be sufficient unless there is incrusted buildup inside them. If so, they should be replaced. Any hard flexible hoses should also be replaced.

a volar
08-25-2011, 03:16 PM
Well, you are right Darrell, but the reason I want to use those 3 container is because there are simply all ready set up, but I can allways changue things around, those containers are really strong, they dont bow whit water preasure, not as storong as rubbermaid stock tank but almost...also save money, you know..

Now abusing of your knowledge, do you think I can use a 5 gal buket of bioballs that I have laying around in y garage instead of ceramic rings? I understand that ceramic rings are more eficient, I may be wrong.
Also about the pvc pipes and pvc flex hose that I was using in the reef tank setup, they definitely have some build up, not a lot but some, I really need to replace it? how about running the tank for a while whit just water in it? again save money, but if I have to replace it, I will.

Thank you so much!

Confused as to why you think you need 3-50 gal. containers as a sump. It would much better to use a single sump, perhaps a single, 100 gal. Rubbermaid stock tank. It would be more than sufficient for those 2 tanks, as well as being more durable than standard containers that tend to distort under water pressure. A couple of gallons of ceramic rings should be way more than enough, but it wouldn't hurt anything if you added more. Flushing the pipes out on initial start-up should be sufficient unless there is incrusted buildup inside them. If so, they should be replaced. Any hard flexible hoses should also be replaced.

cjr8420
08-25-2011, 04:16 PM
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?306-Charlie-and-the-Fish-Tank-Factory this is a link to a whole seller of ceramic rings xlarge and reg hes a mfk sponser and has better prices than ebay i got 40 lbs in a 55 gal sump for a 210 long that is in the process of being finished gl

lipadj46
08-25-2011, 04:29 PM
pond matrix is good too in bulk, also if you can find the expanded fired clay balls locally that hydroponic growers use that is pretty much what seachem matrix is but hugely cheaper.

Darrell Ward
08-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Well, you are right Darrell, but the reason I want to use those 3 container is because there are simply all ready set up, but I can allways changue things around, those containers are really strong, they dont bow whit water preasure, not as storong as rubbermaid stock tank but almost...also save money, you know..

Now abusing of your knowledge, do you think I can use a 5 gal buket of bioballs that I have laying around in y garage instead of ceramic rings? I understand that ceramic rings are more eficient, I may be wrong.
Also about the pvc pipes and pvc flex hose that I was using in the reef tank setup, they definitely have some build up, not a lot but some, I really need to replace it? how about running the tank for a while whit just water in it? again save money, but if I have to replace it, I will.

Thank you so much!

Of course you can use bioballs. Honestly, I have never used them myself, and I don't know for sure about efficiency, but countless people have used them. No reason you couldn't. Perhaps you could dump some rings or a bucket of pond matrix under them for a bit extra. The only thing with buildup inside pipes, is it impedes flow. You could use them in a pinch, however coraline buildup contains almost pure calcium, so that could raise you PH some. That would be something to watch for.

Sean Buehrle
08-25-2011, 05:56 PM
Bio balls work great, throw them in the washing machine to clean them, no soap, works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dkarc@Aol.com
08-25-2011, 06:05 PM
Bioballs > Ceramic Rings

-Ryan