PDA

View Full Version : water problems

E-discus
08-27-2011, 02:27 PM
hey im new to this forum i have a 90 gallon tank with ten discus about 4 to 5 inch and a motoro stingray i had the tank running for about almost 4 months now with no problems til about a week and a half now my water just went down hill my ph drop the ammonia went up the roof the water was cloudy and it smelled bad i did a 50% water change and cleaned the filters and put new media in them and got a uv clearifier which cleared up the tank in two days got everything running rite again but the ammonia. been doing 20% water changes every 4 days and nothing and the smell wont go away also ive been to every aquarium store where i live and no one can help so i just dont know what to do ive spent so much money on different products and nothing the only good thing is i havent lost any fishes if someone could help me i would be thankful.

jimg
08-27-2011, 02:59 PM
hey im new to this forum i have a 90 gallon tank with ten discus about 4 to 5 inch and a motoro stingray i had the tank running for about almost 4 months now with no problems til about a week and a half now my water just went down hill my ph drop the ammonia went up the roof the water was cloudy and it smelled bad i did a 50% water change and cleaned the filters and put new media in them and got a uv clearifier which cleared up the tank in two days got everything running rite again but the ammonia. been doing 20% water changes every 4 days and nothing and the smell wont go away also ive been to every aquarium store where i live and no one can help so i just dont know what to do ive spent so much money on different products and nothing the only good thing is i havent lost any fishes if someone could help me i would be thankful.

I would say your problems started with not enough water changes and probably not a good enough or well established filter. The ph crash may be due to low kh and dirty water.
Only rinse the filter sponges lightly. you have no bio now that you changed the filter media your best bet now would be to get DR Tims or tetra safe start nothing else works if they do it's very rare. turn the uv off it can make matters worse. You need to cut way back on feedings and up the wc's daily as needed to keep ammonia zero.
You can get safe, prime or similar chlorine/ammonia removers for now too
Fill out the disease questionnaire in disease sickness column

E-discus
08-27-2011, 03:20 PM
im not sure i was doing a water change once a week before everything and for filters i have a fluval 405 and 2 aqua-clear 110 and i just got a bottle of prime about three days ago not sure if to use only when doing water change or everyday

jimg
08-27-2011, 03:27 PM
Once a week may not be enough. it all depends on your water, kh,gh etc. What you mention now for filters means nothing if the bio in them is gone. You can put a hundred filters on the tank if there is no bio it will only clean large particles and do little else.
fill this out completely http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?38545-Disease-Questionnaire-please-complete

E-discus
08-27-2011, 03:40 PM
ok when i started it i used a bottle and a half of the tetra safe start and everytime i do water change i use cycle

jimg
08-27-2011, 03:42 PM
ok when i started it i used a bottle and a half of the tetra safe start and everytime i do water change i use cycle
cycle is the worst of all of them.

E-discus
08-27-2011, 03:48 PM
im gonna try dr tims should i start the tank over or just add it in

jimg
08-27-2011, 03:53 PM
im gonna try dr tims should i start the tank over or just add it in
I would do a 95% wc with prime then add it to the filters. vacuum debris, change as little water as possible, do no tank cleanings until you see ammonia and nitrites 0. if you have to do wc's add enough dr tims to keep up bio

E-discus
08-27-2011, 03:57 PM
ok thanks

E-discus
08-27-2011, 04:05 PM
yu said 95%wc but change as lil water as possible im lost

jimg
08-27-2011, 04:10 PM
yu said 95%wc but change as lil water as possible im lost
Sorry I mean do a initial 95% wc then dose dr tims or tetra safe start. Doing wc's or wipe downs while using the bio starters takes the bio your trying to get to multiply out