PDA

View Full Version : high nitrite readings in aging barrel

xelephantxdd
08-28-2011, 03:43 AM
i have 4 five gallon buckets that i use to age my water in, but the problem is that even after aging the water for a day even two days the nitrite readings won't go down. it's at about 0.25ppm right now. everything else in the barrel is fine, ammonia 0, nitrate 0. the water in my aquarium has 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 0 nitrate. its a 20 gallon w/ 3 discus w/ 50% water change everyday. the nitrite problem started recently, the buckets worked fine before, 0 ppm on everything with pH of 6.4 does anyone know what could be wrong? and if so, what are the possible solutions?

btw sorry about the bad grammar, i'm typing this half asleep

ty for your help and time!

Chunks
08-28-2011, 04:11 AM
How does your tap water measure? Are there any nitrites in it straight from the tap?

xelephantxdd
08-28-2011, 01:03 PM
tap is:
nitrite 1.0 ppm
ammonia: .5 ppm
nitrate: 5 ppm

i use seachem prime, seachem discus buffer and seachem neutral regulator

Darrell Ward
08-28-2011, 01:09 PM
tap is:
nitrite 1.0 ppm
ammonia: .5 ppm
nitrate: 5 ppm

i use seachem prime, seachem discus buffer and seachem neutral regulator

There you go. I think you answered your own question. The source of your readings come from your tap water.

xelephantxdd
08-28-2011, 01:21 PM
yeah i kinda figured that out.. but the next question is.. how do i get rid of it? i'm kind of baffled by my own situation lol

ty for your time

lipadj46
08-28-2011, 04:51 PM
Prime will neutralize it until your biofilter can eliminate it.

Darrell Ward
08-29-2011, 09:45 PM
RO.

aalbina
09-19-2011, 03:40 PM
Prime will detoxify the Nitrites: From the SeaChem Prime Website:

"Prime® is the complete and concentrated conditioner for both fresh and salt water. Prime® removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia. Prime® converts ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tank’s biofilter. Prime® may be used during tank cycling to alleviate ammonia/nitrite toxicity. Prime® detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, allowing the biofilter to more efficiently remove them. It will also detoxify any heavy metals found in the tap water at typical concentration levels. Prime® also promotes the production and regeneration of the natural slime coat. Prime® is non-acidic and will not impact pH. Prime® will not overactivate skimmers. Use at start-up and whenever adding or replacing water."

Adam

Chad Hughes
09-19-2011, 05:07 PM
Prime will work for you. If you are looking for cleaner source water, carbon filtration of the tap in to the aging barrel could help. There are several of us that use filtration over chemicals. I use a one micron sediment and 3 extruded carbon block filters in series before the water goes in to a 550 gallon aging system. After 24 hours, the water is ready to use without any chemicals required. Works for me. Something to think about.

Best wishes!