PDA

View Full Version : New RO/DI System Low Water Pressure

Smedlyman
08-28-2011, 07:15 PM
Hello

Looking for some advice on this one.

I have a 90 GPD Five Stage MaxCap RO/DI System which is brand new and I'm currently in the process of completing the system initialization. I
originally hooked it up to a tap to complete the process. I have now moved it over to its permanent home with a saddle valve. The water
pressure in both locations will not go above 35psi. I have tried by passing the three way ball valve for my drinking water, the Auto Shut-off Kit w/Float Valve,and removed the first two cartridges of the system, which now have been returned.

I'm on local city water, never had a problem with water pressure, inbound 150tds out 0 tds but at a ratio of 9:1.

Any suggestions on something I may of overlooked.

Thanks in Advance

Smedlyman

Sean Buehrle
08-28-2011, 09:52 PM
Your going to have to get a booster pump to up the pressure, easy to find on the net, google ro booster pump.
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ericatdallas
08-28-2011, 10:16 PM
Not sure how much you know about your house plumbing, but have you checked the valve on your water source? If it's not turned all the way, you can increase the water pressure to your entire house.

Also, something else you might do first is trace your water supply, there might be some other valve somewhere. I didn't know this until recently, but I have two valves.. not sure if this is typical. One outside to the house and then there's another pipe that splits off to other pipes with a valve.

Pressure of 35psi seems very low... I'm not a plumbing expert or anything, but if you haven't checked the source valve, it could save you the cost of buying more equipment :)

Smedlyman
08-28-2011, 10:32 PM
Thanks Guys

I'm trying to avoid the booster pump at all cost no pun intended, and regarding the shut off valve great suggestion but not it. I have located a number for the
city to check water pressure so I'm going to give them a call tomorrow. The only other thing I didn't try was to remove the RO membrane being brand new could that make a difference if it was a faulty membrane?

Rob

kent1963
08-28-2011, 11:22 PM
I'm not sure how your sys is set up, but it should be measuring pressure as the water enters the sys so your membrane would not have any effect.35 PSI is pretty low most Ro's require 45-60 to operate effectively.

crf50hugo
08-29-2011, 03:37 PM
You mighty have a water regulater that is keeping the pressure down for water conservation. Most house water pressures are as low as 25 psi and high as 75 psi. Again this done for water conservation and for appliances that can not handle high city water pressures. What you look for is a brass mushroom looking thing with a bolt on top of it with a lock nut, it is usually installed after main water shut off valve you just have look but you will know when you find. There will be a tag attached with that bolt that will tell you it pressures range. Adjusting a pressure regulater is very simple, you will need a adjustable wrench and pressures gauge with garden hose attachment witch can be found at any home depot,lowes. So now you will attach the pressure gauge to water spiget and turn on water to see what number you get. To increase pressure all do is turn bolt to right in 1/4 increment until you reach 65 to 70 psi witch is were ro units need to work and still a safe pressure.

crf50hugo
08-29-2011, 03:46 PM
I forgot to add you have to release the water at the gauge every time you make an adjustment to the reg or you will not get the proper reading. So attach gauge open water check pressure make adjustment to reg turn off water disconnect gauge open water valve for a couple of seconds and repeat until you get to 65 psi.

crf50hugo
08-29-2011, 04:01 PM
I read your post again and think that your saddle valve my not have made a good hole or the needle may be blocking or restricting water flow. You also said that you get 9:1 which can be helped with a waste water flow resticter which you can get from marine depot. It creates back pressure in the membrane housing which in turn builds up system pressure. You can adjust it by cutting little of the tube until you get to 65 psi.

Smedlyman
08-29-2011, 06:43 PM
Thanks Hugo

I checked for the regulator no such luck, I did have it running off a faucet at first with same psi.

I have a representative from the city coming over Tuesday am I will post his findings. Great suggestion on the flow restrictor.

thanks Again Rob

Smedlyman
08-30-2011, 01:54 PM
Ok here is the update,

The problem is the city psi on the street is 32 so my only option is booster pump.

So now my next choice is for an additional 150 bucks on top of the pump price they can modify my system to the MaxCap® UHE 100™ (Ultra-High Efficiency 100 GPD 5 Stage RO/DI) which is what Im going to do,

Thanks Rob

Darrell Ward
08-30-2011, 10:06 PM
Just a suggestion, take or leave it, but saddle valves are known to be leak prone when used long term. A much better solution is to cut the line, and install a proper tee and reducer.

Smedlyman
08-31-2011, 07:41 PM
Thx Darrell

Once I get set up in my fishroom I will be doing the proper plumbing

Rob