PDA

View Full Version : Don't Freak! A year without heating Discus tanks

rickscics
08-31-2011, 02:36 PM
Like I said" DON"T FREAK OUT"!I know there is a lot of controversy regarding temperatures that Discus can/ should be kept . This is not an attempt to change any one's habits regarding temperatures. I just thought I would share my experience during the last year keeping several tanks of Discus without the use of heaters. First off, I do live in So. Cal and the tanks are indoors , enclosed patio . The 110 gal has a black back and which has the advantage of getting sun on the back to heat the tank during the day. The temperature can reach into the mid 80's certain times of the year. In the summer the temperature during the day runs 75 to 80. night temperatures drop about five degrees. Now the winter is a different situation. My tanks with backs that do not face the sun are subject to temperatures that are in the rooms they are kept. The temperatures are seldom above 70 Degrees F.average 65 to 67 during the day and the lows around 63 Degrees. Yep 63! Here is the interesting part. The appetite of the fish is still quite good. They never refuse live ca black worms.
The fish remain healthy and active. I lost zero fish to low or changing temperatures. Daily temperatures fluctuated in some months more than 10 degrees daily. My current tank temperatures are 74 degrees on tanks not getting sun exposure. The fish are happy and spawning. Spawning does stop when temperatures drop into the 60's Spawns increase when temperatures go above 78 degrees. My Africans actually seemed more affected by the lower temperatures. I don't suggest anyone change their methods of keeping Discus. I just thought I would share my experiment in keeping Discus without the use of heaters. It is possible, I know because I have done it for over a year. Now, please be kind in your comments.

roclement
08-31-2011, 03:12 PM
Glad it's working for you!
Can you please post some pictures of your fish with some history, like what size did you get them, how much they grew, etc.

Thanks!

Rodrigo

Stag
08-31-2011, 03:58 PM
That is very interesting rick. I'm not willing to try it... But very interesting.

I GOT SOME QUESTIONS:confused::
When you say "enclosed patio" do you do you mean sceened in or glass windows?
Do you have any AC ducting or open door leading to the house or outside from the patio?
How long and when are the tanks exposed to direct sunlight in a given season?
Do you notice any color change (darkening) with temp swings?
+1 Rodrigo, I am interested to see what kinda fish you have been able to produce like this (intrigued).

rickscics
08-31-2011, 06:04 PM
[QUOTE=roclement;797058]Glad it's working for you!
Can you please post some pictures of your fish with some history, like what size did you get them, how much they grew, etc.

Thanks!
Well, I have albino red Turq's I raised up from nickle size. I got them from Bill at Inland Empire Discus. The must be two years old now they hatched 6/14/09. I have a group that came from Kenny that were Three to four inch about the same time. maybe a dozen. thin lined blue based lss, Rose Red, Two albino non striated pearl diamonds, Golden based Red golden diamond. Let see a high body LSS and a mountain snow leopard from the now notorious" Fishking" discus. also a few blue turq's form a local so cal. breeder. one huge about eight inches. and lss. I will shoot some pic's or video. or you can see some on my you tube site. "rickscics" from a year or two ago.

rickscics
08-31-2011, 06:14 PM
It is a covered patio that now has two doors and is fully enclosed with three sets of windows,two eight feet and one five feet.NO real color changes noticed no darkening. Honestly I see no difference ,in fact they look awsome.the sun is lower in the winter so one tank gets sun on its back two or three hours a day. That heats things up pretty good providing there is sun. As I mentioned the other tanks are heated by room temperature and do fine. Summer the sun is higher and the tank doesent get dirrect sun which works out perfect as more heatr in winter less in summer.I will try and post a current video of them if I get time later today. fish information is below on Rodrigo's question.

I GOT SOME QUESTIONS:confused::
When you say "enclosed patio" do you do you mean sceened in or glass windows?
Do you have any AC ducting or open door leading to the house or outside from the patio?
How long and when are the tanks exposed to direct sunlight in a given season?
Do you notice any color change (darkening) with temp swings?
+1 Rodrigo, I am interested to see what kinda fish you have been able to produce like this (intrigued).[/QUOTE]

Darrell Ward
08-31-2011, 07:15 PM
I don't doubt it's possible with people living in warm climates. Dozens of species of South American fish now call canals in Southern Florida home.

Stag
08-31-2011, 08:00 PM
Just thinking about Oscars, Jack dempsey, Firemouths and Discus swimming arround wild and free in Florida brings a smile to my face!

lipadj46
09-02-2011, 08:59 AM
Just thinking about Oscars, Jack dempsey, Firemouths and Discus swimming arround wild and free in Florida brings a smile to my face!

invasives have nearly taken over in florida, oscars are considered a sport fish by many now. not a good thing.

Sean Buehrle
09-04-2011, 09:18 PM
For a few weeks there I didn't use my heaters, water was in the mid 80s.

I'm still not heating my water, it's at 81 out of the tap.
It's a different story now, supposed to get down in the 40s tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stag
09-04-2011, 09:48 PM
invasives have nearly taken over in florida, oscars are considered a sport fish by many now. not a good thing.

Cmon should you rather catch a Albino red/white 16in Oscar or a 8in Sunfish?

Just messing with ya. Only so many fish can live in a pond. It would be a shame for anything to go extinct.

rickscics
09-05-2011, 01:45 AM
my experience is ,If your tanks are indoors in your home where you use a forced air heater they will be fine with tank temps down into the low 60's . It is doubtfull they will get there anytime soon.

For a few weeks there I didn't use my heaters, water was in the mid 80s.

I'm still not heating my water, it's at 81 out of the tap.
It's a different story now, supposed to get down in the 40s tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sean Buehrle
09-05-2011, 08:21 AM
my experience is ,If your tanks are indoors in your home where you use a forced air heater they will be fine with tank temps down into the low 60's . It is doubtfull they will get there anytime soon.
The way I see it is if even a few degree waterchange can influence their behavior, there's no way I would chance that.
If you read the posts on people losing power and the affects on their fish you would see why I'm skeptical.

Bio load and oxygen I'm sure plays into the affects too but still with temps that low it can't be good.

There are no doubts that discus can be kept in conditions that are not the norm, but my question is why.

I'm sure my fish would be saying, how bout a little heat in here.

:)

YSS
09-05-2011, 08:40 AM
I lost power a few years ago during the winter for over 24 hours. At the time, I had my discus in a 55G tank. The tank temp dropped below 70 into mid 60s. I thought I would lose my discus for sure, but they were all fine. I am sure if the fish from very acidic and soft water can be adapted to thrive in alkaline and hard water, I am sure they can also adapt and thrive in colder water. I don't see why not.

rickscics
09-05-2011, 04:11 PM
HI sean , A water change is different than natural temperature fluctuations that take place over a long period of time. The tank temperature does not drop several degrees instantly which could cause behvior problems or shock. I see no difference in their behavior except they may not spawn at low temps. They still eat and are active.They are probably less likely to get bacterial and fungal infections at low temps. I have done this for some time and feel there is little risk.
As to why ? Well, I have many tanks, mostly larger and to heat them is very expensive,over $600 per month. Since they do fine I choose this route. Once again as I have stated this is not an attempt to change any body's fish keeping habits, It is just relaying my experience. Stick with what you believe is best. :) QUOTE=seanbuehrle;798190]The way I see it is if even a few degree waterchange can influence their behavior, there's no way I would chance that.
If you read the posts on people losing power and the affects on their fish you would see why I'm skeptical.

Bio load and oxygen I'm sure plays into the affects too but still with temps that low it can't be good.

There are no doubts that discus can be kept in conditions that are not the norm, but my question is why.

I'm sure my fish would be saying, how bout a little heat in here.

:)[/QUOTE]

Luvewithkindness
10-23-2011, 07:37 PM
Another possible solution to high engery cost from heating your tanks is to insulate them I use regular bubble wrap then foil on top for the bottom sides back and top then I use a window insulation film I got at Walmart for the front . My tanks are in my hallway which is 70x10 with 5 72 inch windows I had temp fluxuations of 10 degrees since I've done this I use smaller heaters and maintain 86 +/- 2 degrees . I use a 200 watt heater in a 120 and 150 in the 55gallons . The temp in the hallway stays at 64 year round . Cheap in the winter very expensive in the summer . Hope this might help someone.